bug out shleter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug out shleter

so my wife and i would like to build a bug out shelter and my idea is to either use 3/4 to 1" plate or use a shipping container and bury it. any ideas u have, would be great. if i go with the plate, i would be beveling and welding it out myself.

on a side not, if anyone has any ideas for a self contained ventilation system for this project that would be awesome to. i would like the system to be one way so no water or really ANYTHING can get in through it.
    Certs:
    1/8 and 5/32 7018/11018 all positions,
    .045 ER70S/ER100S Spray transfer. Flat, Horizontal and Overhead.
    1/16th E71T-1/E101T-1 all positions
    .045 E71T-1 thin work all positions

Before you go spending a zillion bucks building something that won't work, Google "Nuclear War Survival Skills"

It's a really good book written by some Department of Energy nuclear weapon scientists who wanted to teach the public about civil defense. Unfortunately, the government thought that "learning how to survive a nuclear war" undermined the principle of "Mutual Assured Destruction" (MAD) so they discouraged it.

The book goes into great detail on how to make a fallout shelter from things you already own in less than 36 hours...how to make a homemade Geiger counter...how to ventilate your shelter...how to store and purify water, etc etc

Here's a link to the entire book (I would download and save):

http://www.nukepills.com/docs/nuclear_war_survival_skills.pdf
    Last edited by Helios; 12-03-2011, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Fallout 10.

Comment

thnks bud. ill check out the book. i really only need to know about the ventilation. i hope its a big help.
        Certs:
        1/8 and 5/32 7018/11018 all positions,
        .045 ER70S/ER100S Spray transfer. Flat, Horizontal and Overhead.
        1/16th E71T-1/E101T-1 all positions
        .045 E71T-1 thin work all positions

Comment

I say, get the pile of 3/4 inch plate since you can bevel and weld this out yourself, make sure and post pics, this I want to see.

Comment

Shelter against what, specifically?

A fallout shelter is different than a blast shelter/tornado shelter is different than a shelter against forest fires.

Will it incorporate defensive firing positions?

Just some food for thought....

Comment

how many of you guys remember back in the 60,s, all of the civil defense programs that the schools and local gov.followed. my pop built a fall out shelter in our basement, it was a popular thing to do, i remember being in school hiding under our desk and covering our faces, as instructed by the teacher, just in case of nuclear war, we would be prepared

Comment

Doomsday scenarios...

Think this is what the op is talking about....

http://survivalcache.com/shtf-vs-teotwawki/

probably still a few minuteman silos in ND that could be bought surplus and you could pump out the water.... or maybe you and 500 closest friends could buy a surplus Nuke Sub... they are pretty self contained... Los angeles class would be a good choice..

otherwise the days of "Tippy Turtle... Duck and cover".....are long gone...
                nowadays it will most likely be.... bend over and kiss your aspirations goodby......!!!... our fearless leader is giving it all away anyway...

fraid that if you live in one of the urban areas... you are pretty much screwed anyway...

me I am getting my tinfoil hat and waiting for the Mother-Ship to come to the rescue......
                Last edited by H80N; 12-03-2011, 09:53 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

LMAO,

Wait til the OP prices 3/4'-1" plate.

He'll think a nuclear bomb went off in his checking account.

I've seen some "really dumb" projects proposed, but this one has got to be right up near the top.

"Don't worry guys, I got a 160A buzzbox to do the project with..."
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

would be an interesting proposition though.... aside from the "self contained shelter" I wonder how many of these folks would have a useful skillset for survival afterward....
                    The nanny state would be erased , political correctness will be irrelevent.... and darwin will be in full bloom....

"change we can believe in????"

release the bobo squad....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Depending on where you live, a conex will start to corrode the minute you bury it. That may or may not matter to you. You can use industrial coatings that will slow the rot significantly and increase the cost significantly.
                      Carefull basement type drainage and waterproofing methods will help tremendously.
                      A buried conex still leaves the big issue of an an entryway that's secure and you're problem of sufficient ventilation without vulnerability.

1" plate will keep anyone without the knowledge and materials to build a suitable shaped charge on the outside.
                      Unless they have a cheap pawn shop cutting torch, then you're toast. Unless you line the outside with claymores. Regular torch PPE isn't effective against claymore Flying Hazardous Materials.
                      But you'll need at least a fork truck and a semi-big welding machine, several hundred pounds of consumables plus the bankroll for initial purchase price of iron.

Concrete requires a different skill set but would be more economical and take less equipment. A couple tweakers with a stolen oxy/acy torch can't breach your concrete bunker complex.

Good luck fighting off the innevitable zombie invasion.

JTMcC
                      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

if things really do go south it is going to take a lot more than a place to hide, a box of fish-hooks and a pack of gum to insure you and your family's survival...

SKILLS!!!!
                        this society has become service oriented.... that means they talk about doing things.... they do not know how to actually build and do anything useful....
                        unless I miss my guess the stores will be closed and your visa card will no longer be useful.... so If you cannot build it, fix it or grow it.... you will not be around very long....

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

[Bwith all the nuke weapond around the world if there was to be a nuke war i really would not wanna survive it. you would have to have food saved up and water saved up to hold you over for a few years.i think what you should be thinkin of is more along the lines of a shelter that will keep you and your family safe from other people in the event of a goverment shutdown . i would get a few shipping containers and conect them together after you dig the hole then fill the hole in around them with cement atleast 2' thick all the way around. something to think about is them new devices they came out with that will take in the air and convert it over to a more pure oxygen. a few of them with some tiny tubing run out in didferent locations will not be that noticable as a large air vent.as for water if you live in a place where you can dig a well i would dig the well before you drop the containers in the hole that way your unlimited supply of water and air is in the shelter with you and you have no reason to open the door and have to go outside. start clolecting as many mre's as you can because they have their own heating source and that will come in handy . for electical source i would run some wire to some of the closest trees you have and put a few solar panels way up top and camo them so they can't be seen from the ground then run the wires under ground to the shelter to your battery pack. to save on electicity i would get as much 12volt lights as you can and as many led's as you can for lighting.stock up on them rechargable batteries and get a few of them walkway lights that run off of solar power .a few of them placed around the shelter will give you all the lighting you need.as for a human waist run a pipe as far away from the shelter as you can and dig a septic system for it to empty into. remember to keep as much stuff hidden as possible. and if you do have to venture outside never walk on the same path so you don't make any trails that would lead someone to your shelter.start a dvd collection too that will give you and your family something to get your minds off of the situation your in there's nuthing worst than being locked up with nuthing to do other than look at the walls.those small portable dvd players with the flip up screens are perfect they don't take a whole lot of power to run them. and also get a bunch of water filtration jars that will filter out your drinking water.[/B]

Comment

I'm thinking I sure as he11 wouldn't want to be dropped out in the boonies with some of the professed survival experts on here.
                            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                            Hobart HH187
                            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                            More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                              I'm thinking I sure as he11 wouldn't want to be dropped out in the boonies with some of the professed survival experts on here.
                              Amen!!!

am glad to be from a generation where canned food was "put up" and not bought... came in jars not cans.... and we learned how to build, fix and grow...

an Iphone is not a survival tool.... neither is a Wii.........nor an XBox...... and those cutesy games wiil probably not provide survival skills for the real world...

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X