Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is this collet holder stuck?

Hi folks,
    I have a recently acquired Syncrowave 200, got it on a reasonably good deal with only 14.5 hours on the machine. I'm just starting to figure this thing out, as well as the whole welding process as I set upon my first project, a welding table. Figuring that I would need them at some point, I also got Weldcraft's accessories kit of various sizes of collets, collet holders, spare back caps, and gas lenses and nozzles. Just to see how a gas lens worked I thought I'd put one in, but the existing collet holder just will not come out. It's obviously made to unscrew, but it's stuck so hard that I'm afraid I'll wreck the entire torch if I torque it enough to break it loose. Of course if I've got a torch that I can't change to a different tungsten size, it's no good anyway. It's almost as if it's welded into place. Anyone every come across this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have had collet bodies that were tight enough that I had to slip a piece of rod through the gas ports to use as a lever........no,it should not be that tight but....

Comment

over heated

my guess would be that the collet body was over heated and deformed in the torch. if it were me i would use some plyers and un-screw. collet bodys dont last forever due to the heat cycles so you will have to take it out sometime...
      Miller Syncrowave 200
      Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
      Miller Milermatic 135
      Ridgid Drill Press
      Ridgid Chop Saw
      36" Metal Break
      Harris Toarches
      English Wheel
      Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
      30 gal. Sand Blaster
      Planishing Hammer
      150lb Anvil
      10" Swing Logan Lathe

Comment

Heat.
        Take the back cap off and spray some of your favorite penetrating oil/ film in there (don't go too crazy, just more to clean up later). I can usually get mine out with the small jaw on my mig pliers when they get that stuck.
        Hopefully it doesn't chew up the threads too bad, if it does you can chase the threads with a tap (3/8-32 UNEF bottom tap). If it's beyond that point then your forced to buy a new torch.
        at home:
        2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
        2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
        2008 Suitcase 12RC
        Spoolmatic 30A
        WC-24
        2009 Dynasty 200DX
        2000 XMT 304
        2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
        Sold:MM130XP
        Sold:MM 251
        Sold:CST 280

at work:
        Invision 350MP
        Dynasty 350
        Millermatic 350P
        Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Penetrating oil??????????????

Originally posted by c wagner View Post
          Heat.
          Take the back cap off and spray some of your favorite penetrating oil/ film in there (don't go too crazy, just more to clean up later). I can usually get mine out with the small jaw on my mig pliers when they get that stuck.
          Hopefully it doesn't chew up the threads too bad, if it does you can chase the threads with a tap (3/8-32 UNEF bottom tap). If it's beyond that point then your forced to buy a new torch.
          YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Penetrating Oil???... Really??? .... not on any of my TIG torches!!!

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

it's out now

thanks for the help. I put the torch in a vise and just twisted the collet body out. It came out without any threads on the back end, and the female threads on the torch look pretty beaten up. So I'll invest in that tap and give it a try. But one more question: the syncrowave 200 is a 200 amp machine, right? It comes with a Weldcraft WP-17 torch, what I've got, that's rated to 150 amps. And their manual admonished not to go over that limit. So why ship a 200 A welder with a 150 A torch? There must be a logical reason, but if I do ever get a new torch should I just get the WP-26, rated to 200 A? Any downside?

Comment

•Amperage 150 DCSP maximum, 100% duty cycle

That means that it is usable at higher amperage with reduced duty cycle.... I have a 17 on my Dynasty 200DX and it has been fine...

you might consider upgrading to a w-20 series water cooled torch with cooler for increased duty cycle at full output... it will be less portable but you have the benefit of a smaller more agile torch....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Penetrating Oil???... Really??? .... not on any of my TIG torches!!!
                Actually I just use WD40, give it a quick blast with the air nozzle after, spark it up on a chunk of crop for a minute or two and your good to go.
                at home:
                2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                2008 Suitcase 12RC
                Spoolmatic 30A
                WC-24
                2009 Dynasty 200DX
                2000 XMT 304
                2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                Sold:MM130XP
                Sold:MM 251
                Sold:CST 280

at work:
                Invision 350MP
                Dynasty 350
                Millermatic 350P
                Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

You can also be brave like I do on things and light the oil on fire and have an air gun to blow it out in 2 seconds. that will get rid of anything in there and it isn't long enough to burn anything.

Comment

Working...
                  X