Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant life span and replacement for Millers fluid that won't void warranty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant life span and replacement for Millers fluid that won't void warranty?

I know this is the Miller forum so a replacement product not of Millers making is kind of rude. But, no rudeness intended.

But these questions are one's I've been faced with alot over the last few weeks.

Is there a fungicide I can use in the Miller coolant?

What is the life span of the coolant.

What other coolants can I use that won't void the warranty. I still have a few more years left on my dynasty 350 12/3/2008 warranty.

Oh, and what's the difference between the 2 coolants Miller offers? One say's non conductive the other one is for alum exposed.

This doesn't really make sense to me since the radiators in the coolers are alum?

Here is a link to an old thread.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-a-tig-welder&

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

I simply put in a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol / distilled water in all welding systems using a cooler.

Doesn't have to be a Miller brand, as its unlikely they make it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by crabber View Post
        Here is a link to an old thread.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-a-tig-welder&

-Ian
        Yeah, I've read that thread before but it didn't really answer my questions. Just peaked more interest.

Water in and of itself is non conductive! It's the additives that make it conductive?

most automotive systems used to involve copper plumbing. Now it's mainly alum but I've seen corrosion in these systems as well.

How about a product like Polyproplene Glycol?

Comment

Originally posted by allessence View Post
          How about a product like Polyproplene Glycol?
          I work with large DC power supplies, similar to what is used in DC arc furnaces. The water cooled units use a mix of DI (de-ionized) water and propylene glycol. I would imagine that propylene glycol and distilled water would be good for your purpose.
          Tim

Many cordless tools...........
          2 cordless hammers
          2 cordless punches
          1 cordless chisel
          2 cordless screwdrivers, 1 + and 1 -
          and a cordless adjustable wrench that also doubles as a hammer.....

Comment

Distilled water has higher specific heat (capacity to absorb heat) than any coolant mix. Making it more effective. Also, it has lower viscosity so it flows better.

About the only shortfall of water is poor lubrication of the pump and seal.

Comment

Working...
            X