Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to repair crack in cast iron stew pot with Arc welder! Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trying to repair crack in cast iron stew pot with Arc welder! Any suggestions?

Have the proper cast rods but never welded cast iron before. Do I need to heat pot or cracked area any suggestions would be great!

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
    Have the proper cast rods but never welded cast iron before. Do I need to heat pot or cracked area any suggestions would be great!

Ni rod, with preheat and very slow cool down, cat litter works well for the cooldown.

Comment

What he says.

Comment

Ive always save some old glass bead sand blaster media after its worn out. Works great for burying hot material to cool down slowly....
        Miller 330 BPA - Sold
        Miller 180SD Syncrowave - Sold
        Miller Aircrafter 330ST - Sold
        Miller 351 Syncrowave - Sold
        Miller CP-300
        Miller Maxstar 150 STL
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller 135 Millermatic
        Miller Spectrum 250D (Now running strong!)

Comment

The post above are correct. Please also consider the location of the crack and the exposure of potentially hazardous metals coming in contact with food at elevated temperatures. It might not be worth it.

Comment

I'd vee out the crack slightly, shine it up & knock the flux off a stick of ni rod & tig it up.
            Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Comment

Originally posted by diamondback View Post
              The post above are correct. Please also consider the location of the crack and the exposure of potentially hazardous metals coming in contact with food at elevated temperatures. It might not be worth it.
              Welding rods contain no lead, zinc, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, beryllium...

Hazardous? Like nickel? Stainless (18-8)contains 8% nickel. Sure, some people can have a nickel allergy but from coins, jewelry and other contact, not food prep exposure.

Sure, occupational exposure to certain welding fumes/gases/flux can be bad. But use common sense

Comment

any of you guys heard of peening the weld after?-read somewhere and can't remember-hate to say it, might have been lincoln's website

Comment

I'm really mining the crevases of my mind, but, from what I remember of welding cast, and it goes along what has been said.

Grind out, then weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, etc. Due to the porosity of cast it may tend to weep out. Once welded allow to cool very slowly, ie wrap if possible.

Comment

Peening will probably cause the base material to crack.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                      Ni rod, with preheat and very slow cool down, cat litter works well for the cooldown.
                      Could this be done with oxy-acetylene?

I have a cast iron woodstove where it would need to be welded in place (vertical and flat) and tigging is pretty much out of the question.

Also, how much would the crack need to be veed out? Will the crack "suck up" the nickel through capillary action at all? Would a flux like borax help?

Comment

Originally posted by welder57 View Post
                        any of you guys heard of peening the weld after?-read somewhere and can't remember-hate to say it, might have been lincoln's website
                        Yes, you should peen every bead of weld. Helps in preventing cracks in the weld zone.

Comment

Working...
                        X