X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcw
    replied
    Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    On thin SS, using the high speed pulsing on the Dynasty, is where the unit shines.

I'd say the Airgas ad is wrong. Looks like a salesman tried to combine features from a 2007 machine with the features of a new machine.

What "really" throws me a curve is the comment about torch hangers on both sides. On the integrated cooler machine, one side was designed as a fill for the internal cooler. The upgrade kit that Miller offers to replace the internal cooler with a 3X, includes a torch hanger to replace the fill spot.

With the issues Miller had with "coolant on demand" with the 05-07 units, I seriously question if they'd go back there.
    Yeah, I suppose the ad is just outdated. Thanks for confirming that.

Thanks again to everyone for your insight here. I'm really leaning toward a Syncrowave 250DX with air cooled torch to get me started. It's affordable that way and when I have the extra cash, I can add the cooler and have a really nice machine that should last me a lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Well for the most part the fan is driven off the pump, and you don't want to use the water cooled torch without any flow, cause you will literally burn up the torch.

So the thermostat idea won't work!

I suppose you could install the likes of a muffin fan on the rad, then maybe.

Leave a comment:

• mikeb9550
    replied
    Me also

Originally posted by benny365 View Post
    I have a coolmate 4 and I took the fan blade off and now all you here is the pump.

before it was insane loud, now it's hardly noticeable.

btw I have a sync 200 and welded max amps to max duty cycle and it doesn't get hot, just warn

If your handy you could mount a thermostat to turn the fan on at a determined coolant temperature.
    This is what I was planning to doing. Fan will kick in when it hits it temp. You can get a digital adjustable relay cheap. That way you can adjust when you want it to kick on.

Leave a comment:

• Keith_J
    replied
    Or tap into the gas solenoid, this way you get coolant any time you have gas. I would be concerned with post-flow as there is scant coolant in the torch and it could boil off. This could cause corrosion issues with the copper body.

Now if you had an electromagnetic clutch for the fan only, engaging it by pin 14, this would be best.

By far, the easiest is to remove the fan. With a gallon of coolant, there is at least 400 BTUs of sink before the coolant gets uncomfortably warm. Over one hour, that is 120 Watts which is about the torch heat off welding at 100 amperes in DCEN.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Seems to me that all you'd have to do with a 250DX, is make a simple adaptor at the machine's 14 pin, inbetween where the remote inserts into the welder, and add a 24Vdc micro relay. so when the remote is activated, the relay would close to turn on the cooler. When released, the relay would open to turn off the cooler.
    could probably use a timer relay to time the cooler to turn off in 5 seconds or so to cool down the torch.

Seems simple to me anyways.

Leave a comment:

• benny365
    replied
    I have a coolmate 4 and I took the fan blade off and now all you here is the pump.

before it was insane loud, now it's hardly noticeable.

btw I have a sync 200 and welded max amps to max duty cycle and it doesn't get hot, just warn

If your handy you could mount a thermostat to turn the fan on at a determined coolant temperature.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    On thin SS, using the high speed pulsing on the Dynasty, is where the unit shines.

I'd say the Airgas ad is wrong. Looks like a salesman tried to combine features from a 2007 machine with the features of a new machine.

What "really" throws me a curve is the comment about torch hangers on both sides. On the integrated cooler machine, one side was designed as a fill for the internal cooler. The upgrade kit that Miller offers to replace the internal cooler with a 3X, includes a torch hanger to replace the fill spot.

With the issues Miller had with "coolant on demand" with the 05-07 units, I seriously question if they'd go back there.
    Last edited by SundownIII; 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Keith_J
    replied
    Ditch the noisy fan and make a large capacity coolant reservoir? If you are only using it 5% of the time, 5 gallons would take all day to get noticeably warm. Then it cools overnight.

Most have one motor, powering both fan and pump. Take the fan blades off and see how hot it gets over your normal day? You won't damage anything as long as you have flow. Yes, it will get warmer but if you are boiling the coolant, it will cool even better. Won't be comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• pcw
    replied
    Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    pcw,

Did you bother to read the other responses?

Cooler on demand was only offered for a few years (05-07).

The "cooler on demand" used an INTERNAL SYSTEM, not the Coolmate 3X.

Later units went back to the cooler mounted UNDER the power supply and used the Coolmate 3X.

Check out Miller's latest advertising.
    Yes, I did and that's why I'm confused. Did you look at the link to Airgas? It appears to be the new under mounted cooler in the picture but the description sounds like this internal system... But then the description says that it's the Coolmate 3X. It also says "new" which would sounds like was only "new" in 05-07. Is that correct? I'm trying to piece this all together but it sounds like that description on Airgas is incorrect huh?

Also, thanks for the info on the Coolmate 1 versus Coolmate 3. It sounds like my concern here is a non issue if I were to go to a Coolmate 3 on a 250DX because it wouldn't be as noisy as the Dynasty 200DX / Coolmate 1 from your description.

Do you have a preference between the 200DX and the 250DX on thin material (say 0.020-0.035" steels)?
    Last edited by pcw; 11-19-2011, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    pcw,

Did you bother to read the other responses?

Cooler on demand was only offered for a few years (05-07).

The "cooler on demand" used an INTERNAL SYSTEM, not the Coolmate 3X.

Later units went back to the cooler mounted UNDER the power supply and used the Coolmate 3X.

Check out Miller's latest advertising.

Leave a comment:

• pcw
    replied
    Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
    PCW
    Welcome to the site.

The Sync 250 with Coolmate 3X is not a cool on demand system.
    The cooler runs all the time the welder is turned on.

What cooler do you have on the Dynasty?
    Maybe a coolmate 1 would be quieter.

Andy
    Thanks, Andy. I'm glad to be here. I'm sort of confuxed then because this is what I'm reading on Airgas:

• New! Integrated Cooler Option with Cool-on-Demand™ and Torch Detection monitors coolant flow and temperature-operating ONLY when necessary and preventing torch damage due to overheating. All-in-one design features a 3-year warranty- the first and ONLY cooler in the industry with a warranty beyond one year.
    • Syncro Start™ for customized arc starts allows the operator to choose from three different starting conditions to optimize the application according to tungsten diameter and material thickness.
    • Squarewave output with AC balance control features adjustable penetration and cleaning action while increasing arc stability on various aluminum alloys, and helps eliminate tungsten spitting and arc rectification
    • Large, dual digital meters are easy to view and presettable to ease setting weld output.
    • Last procedure recall automatically recalls the last procedure set-up when switching polarity.
    • Built-in preflow/postflow provides 0.2 - 5 seconds of preflow and 0 - 50 seconds of postflow.
    • Built-in cable hangers on both sides conveniently fold out of power supply so weld cables can be stored to prevent torch or cable damage.
    • Built-in consumable storage located on the front panel allows the operator to store and readily access the needed consumables to be more productive.

Found here:
    http://airgas.com/browse/productDeta...t=MIL907194032

They list the part as the Integrated Coolmate™ 3X Cooler.

I wonder if this is "old" and not "new" as stated? Now I'm really confused.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    I guess I don't see the "benefit" of PG's post.

The on/off switch on my Coolmate 3 is located on the FRONT of the unit. The on/off switch for the Dynasty 200 DX is located on the BACK of the welder.

Turning a cooler off for low amp work (when using a WC torch) is really bad advice. Using a water cooled torch, even at low amps, without a flow of coolant is a good way to ruin a torch. If you don't like the "noise" of a cooler, then use an air cooled torch for low amp work. A 20 Series and a 9 Series both use the same consumables.

Leave a comment:

• piniongear
    replied
    I have a Coolmate 3 that I use with my Dynasty DX200.
    Yeah, it is kinda noisy and runs all the time.

So what I did to fix that was install a switch box on the front of the cart (where all switches should be, no thanks to Miller)

When I am welding small items not requiring the water cooling I just cut the switch off.
    When I need it I cut it on.
    The bottom outlet is hot 100% of the time regardless if the Coolmate is on or off.
    I use this outlet to power a drill, grinder, or what have you.
    Works well for me.
    pg

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    As Andy has indicated, the 3X cooler mounted under the power supply, plugs into the front of the Syncrowave 250DX/350LX. The cooler runs whenever the main power is turned on to the welder.

The Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunners (vintage 2006-07 if my memory serves me correctly) were the only Syncrowaves with "cooler on demand". Here the cooler was mounted inside the power supply cabinet, not under.

These units did not work out all that well for Miller, and they went back to the cooler under the power supply.

Have to disagree with Andy on one point though. Every coolmate 1 that I've been around sounded like an airplane trying to take off. I've found the Coolmate 3 much less noisy than the Coolmate 1.

My Syncrowave came with the built in cooler (2007 model). I have since, with Miller's assistance, replaced it with the Coolmate 3X. Although it does run continuously, I do not find the noise objectionable.

I use a Coolmate 3 mounted under (on a cart) the Dynasty 200DX. Noise isn't so much an issue as is the airflow created by the fan. Have to be somewhat careful about positioning the cart if you have the welder right next to where you're welding.

I don't think installing an internal cooling system (like in the 06/07 units) is a viable option for the older units. There's quite a bit of hardware that goes inside the cabinet.

If noise is an issue (sounds like it is) for you, you may want to look at one of the older Bernard coolers with just a pump and a larger reservoir (no radiator). I have one and it's very quiet. Only hear the whirr of a pump vs the noise of air moving thru a radiator. The reservoir on that Bernard unit holds about 5 gal of coolant and I never had an issue cooling a 18 series torch on a Sync 250.

Leave a comment:

• mikeb9550
    replied
    Air cooled

Maybe switch to an air cool torch or make your own cooler and try to use a low db pump and insulate the pump with noise dampening material. Just a couple thoughts. I dont like the fans unless it needs it. I also hate noise when I am welding.
    Last edited by mikeb9550; 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X