MIG welding stainless struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG welding stainless struggles

I am struggling with welding stainless. I have very little experience in this area. I can't seem to control the puddle very well. I am welding with a millermatic 300. 3-phase machine with a 30A spoolgun. Welding 1/8" stainless with 308L wire, and straight argon @ 30cfm. I don't know what alloy it is, but I know it is weldable. It is a rear door frame on a straight body truck. These are welded from the factory. Machine is around 24v, and spoolgun wire feed at 4-5 on dial. I tried to turn wire speed up and down but can't gain control of puddle. It seems as though the weld is cutting in enough, but looks like it is too cold after I run the bead. I am getting alot of material falling down(dripping) as I weld.This is very humbling. I can mig weld aluminum and steel just fine, but this is a challenge. I also would like to know if 309L is best for welding steel to stainless. This is even harder for me to weld/control than 308L.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Miller 330 A/BP Tig
    Millermatic 250
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Hobart 175 mig
    Miller Regency 250 w/ wire feeder
    Bridgeport vertical mill
    Delta bandsaw
    Rockwell lathe

You need to use Tri-mix. It'll make all the difference in the world.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

Second the tri-mix for short arc SS.

Straight argon is the wrong gas.
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

Comment

3rd on the trigas idea, for short circuit, use 90 he,7.5 ar, 2.5 co2...called Trigas.for thicker material and spray transfer [axial spray transfer], use 98 AR and 2 O2, this is hot stuff, 200+amps, but for 1/4 inch and above, makes life easier...it wets out very well, hope this helps,Paul

ps, 309L is the preferred alloy for joining steel to stainless, the problems you are having is due to the lack of heat transfer in the stainless which does not let the weld metal 'wet out', also I think your voltage is way too high, should be around 18 to 19, that is why you metal is drooling down. the Helium adds more energy to the arc and helps with the wet out.....by the way, I have never been able to get a decent weld with straight argon on GMAW Stainless, again, hope this helps makes since....Paul
        More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

I have welded 304 with solid mild wire and C25. Obviously, the issue there is you won't have the rust protection of stainless wire, but it works fine. Welds the same as anything else for me.
          Miller Mig 140 Autoset (2010)
          Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

I have a lot to learn.

-Joe

Comment

The problem with the 75/25 is the carbon pickup not the corrosion resistance, you get carbide precipitation which is that physics stuff where a brittle component develops between the grains and makes the parent metal brittle. Please correct me if I am correct, but this is why weldable {austintic] Stainless has very low carbon content.

Hope this helps,Paul
            More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Some people just don't care if they do things right.

A little basic metalurgy is beyond some people, I guess.

"But, I've always done it that way." Don't make it right. Just means you've been screwing up forever.
              Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
              Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
              Hobart HH187
              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
              PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
              Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
              Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
              More grinders than hands

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I will see if we can get a bottle of tri-mix in. Anxious to try it.
                Miller 330 A/BP Tig
                Millermatic 250
                Spoolmatic 30A
                Hobart 175 mig
                Miller Regency 250 w/ wire feeder
                Bridgeport vertical mill
                Delta bandsaw
                Rockwell lathe

Comment

Working...
                X