Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Identify This Machine? Miller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Identify This Machine? Miller?

Hi folks, new to this forum and trying to see if anyone recognizes this machine as being a Miller welding machine. I picked this machine up years ago thinking it was a welding machine(front cover was obscured when I purchased it), then got it home and became unsure. Contacted mfr on the label, they claimed it was not their machine. No 3 phase power available, so its never been tried out. It looks very similar to several different Miller machines, I've just never found a perfect match. So does anyone recognize it? Could it be used as a stick welder (even if its not a Miller)? Thanks
    Attached Files

Not a welder...

Looks to be a power source for a UV treatment system for water...or air.
    http://hanovia-uv.com/power.html
    I don't know how they could say it wasn't their machine...seems pretty clear to me, they have been around since 1905.
    Last edited by Doughboyracer; 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Already contacted Hanovia, even sent pics, they said its not theirs I think its pretty obvious it came out of their shop at some point in time, maybe they just don't want to admit it. Placement of switches, gauges, lead terminals, and color all scream Miller. Secondary specs look close enough to be a welder too. Does not look too hard to swap out that front panel with a different name.

Comment

looks like the power supply for an airport beacon or light house... both used large carbon arc lamps... they were also used for large ww2 era searchlights....
        probably be able to sell it for a decent price and buy a welder with the proceeds....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

here is a background article...

http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol20/?pg=168#pg168

it is probably quite valuable.. 50 volt power supplies were very common for arc-light use.. that is a BIG one... Arc-Lights were also used for film projection but this I think is much larger than a movie theater... but probably on the money for a Drive-In Theater..projection supply..... yep... think you have a winner.... is a small specialized market... just have to find the right buyer..

these guys refurb searchlights and may be able to point you to somebody that needs it or maybe they do...

http://www.carbonarcsearchlights.com/
          Last edited by H80N; 11-15-2011, 04:58 PM. Reason: addl info

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Well thats easy, gotta give me something harder...

Its a Miller SRH 222

Not worth much other than scrap

Comment

Well Cruizer is the god of Miller... for good reason... I stand corrected as far as it being valuable...
              a quick search brings up a lot of them... and afraid they do not bring much...

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...t&fr=yfp-t-471

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

I worked building DC power supplies for a number of years. For one customer, we bought about 20 Miller Gold Star welding power supplies, then added a freewheeling diode, rewired, and rebadged with our company logo. That looks like what was done here.
                AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
                3035 spoolgun
                Spectrum 625
                Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

Good thing I'm only into it for $25. Yep, thats one of the models that looks pretty close to what I have, sans the meters. Looking at specs for that model I see 28v as the secondary current, whereas mine says 50v, is it just how they rated it, or do I need to change a transformer lead? I tried selling this pig on ebay for over a year, no takers. Most of my welding is done with a big Lincoln wire feed machine, yet every now and then I could use a stick welder for heavy plate or cast iron. Guess I need to add some leads to this beast and see what it does. Picked up a rotary phase converter (20hp) several months ago for another machine, will it power this machine too? If not I may try a single phase conversion. Thanks guys!

Comment

Google search shows some of these with a high frequency attachment/mod and a Tig torch, having a Tig and stick welder, in 1 unit would be sweet. What would I need to run Tig with this machine? Thanks again!

Comment

notice the 100v ocv, dangerous as max should be 80 ocv....going with the idea of a studio arc light. the Movie industry used mostly carbon arc stuff until the 80's for mega lighting outdoors.....Mole Richardson was one mfg. be careful whatever you do......hope this helps...
                      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Please describe OCV? Is that open circuit voltage? What does that affect? Last thing I want is to become the carbon arc. Guess I need to buy the manual for the SRH 222 and see if the wiring has been modified, my guess would be that they changed the transformer taps to get the 50v and 100ocv, but thats just a guess.

Comment

yep open circuit voltage...

here is a link to he manual...

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230h_mil.pdf

if it is the wrong version... enter your serial number and search here..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/o...uals.php?model

see if this helps....

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

That unit must have a couple extra wraps on the secondary side of that main transformer, to boost the unit to 100Vdc..

Do yourself a favor and junk it. Pull the diodes out of the rectifier and sell em on ebay, Take a zip disk, grind the welds off the transformers, and yard the copper out of them for beer money.

Comment

Cruizer, thanks for the info, that 100 ocv could be dangerous in what I understand.....that is up in the Plasma Cutter range.......and I have been zapped by one of them before....got a boat????? but kinda big for an anchor I guess....Paul
                              More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X