Dynasty died...need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
    His question (about whether a new 200DX can be relied upon, and if not, what should he get) hasn't been answered yet, and I also would like to hear about that. More than one Dynasty 200DX owner here has reported his machine having croaked with way too few hours on it. I thought the complaints about this machine had been addressed a couple of years ago. It's such a phenomenal piece when it works, but is it just too fragile?

As a very proud owner of my "portable" Syncrowave 350LX with now over 300 hours of actual arc time on it in some of the most hellish places and situations, I would not hesitate to compete my machine with any new comparable sized Dynasty in durability and feel very confident that the Sycrowave would still be welding long after the Dynasty bit the dust but for many, durability isn't the over riding concern when purchasing a machine.

Comment

Circuit board repair

Somewhere on the message board I recall a mention that there was an independant company that did repair on Miller circuit boards and it was a lot less to repair the board than to replace it in most cases. I thought that I'd saved this information but I hadn't. I'm thinking it was some place in Texas, but it's been long enough that I don't remember for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
        As a very proud owner of my "portable" Syncrowave 350LX with now over 300 hours of actual arc time on it in some of the most hellish places and situations, I would not hesitate to compete my machine with any new comparable sized Dynasty in durability and feel very confident that the Sycrowave would still be welding long after the Dynasty bit the dust but for many, durability isn't the over riding concern when purchasing a machine.
        I will take you up on that challange.

My Dynasty 350s are speced to weld up to 5/8" alum where you Sync 350 is speced only to 1/2" alum.

My Dynasty is 3 phase and your Sync is single phase. By the time warranty runs out I will have saved enough in power to replace my Dynasty. This scenario plays out time and time again in my shop. But I have an anterior motive, I do mostly heavy gauge alum.

Your Sync is rated at 400 amps max but mine is only rated at 350 amps max. But I can weld heavier material in AC and can match in DC. Somethings off with Syncrowaves, probably because they are only single phase(too bad). I guess you get what you pay for.

It you really want a challange I will put up my 400amp ThermalArc400gtsw 3phase inverter tig against your 400 amp Sync. Game over I win.
        Last edited by shovelon; 11-24-2011, 08:33 AM. Reason: spite
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
          I will take you up on that challange.

My Dynasty 350s is speced to weld up to 5/8" alum where you Sync 350 is speced only to 1/2" alum.

My Dynasty is 3 phase and your Sync is single phase. By the time warranty runs out I will have saved enough in power to replace my Dynasty. This scenario plays out time and time again in my shop. But I have an anterior motive, I do mostly heavy gauge alum.

Your Sync is rated at 400 amps max but mine is only rated at 350 amps max. But I can weld heavier material in AC and can match in DC. Somethings off with Syncrowaves, probably because they are only single phase(too bad). I guess you get what you pay for.

It you really want a challange I will put up my 400amp ThermalArc400gtsw 3phase inverter tig against your 400 amp Sync. Game over I win.
          The only challenge I have for you is to look up what durability means...LOL

If you read what I stated, I never implied anything more or less than the durability of a comparable Dynasty to the Syncrowave, but if that still bothers you then I guess you don't think that Syncrowaves are "Proven" technology...

Comment

The only challenge I have for you is to look up what durability means...LOL

If you read what I stated, I never implied anything more or less than the durability of a comparable Dynasty to the Syncrowave, but if that still bothers you then I guess you don't think that Syncrowaves are "Proven" technology...
            Sure Syncs are proven technology. So are carburators, but I don't think you can buy a car with a carb anymore.

My 2 oldest dynastys I know have been running 2 years straight, 20 hours a week minimum at full 350 amps AC. That should equate to some 2000 hours. My thermalarc I have had 2 years longer, so I would estimate some 4000 hours. I can check the memory on the Dynastys when I get back to work on Monday, but the thermalarc has no such memory.

Miller Dynasty700DX
            Miller Dynasty200DX
            ThermalArc 400 GTSW
            MillerMatic350P
            MKCobraMig260
            Lincoln SP-170T
            Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
            Hypertherm 1250
            Hypertherm 800
            PlasmaCam CNC cutter
            Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
            SiberHegner CNC Mill
            2 ea. Bridgeport
            LeBlond 15" Lathe
            Haberle 18" Cold Saw
            Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
              Sure Syncs are proven technology.

I am glad you agree since I don't disagree with you on the capabilities between the Dynasty and Syncrowave. Since my much older Syncrowave does not have the ability to record actual arc time, I also could only speculate how many hours the previous owner put on it plus the time I did. All I know is that when I go on the road or to the shop the machines fire up and weld with that proven technology that I expect and customers demand.

Comment

I am glad you agree since I don't disagree with you on the capabilities between the Dynasty and Syncrowave. Since my much older Syncrowave does not have the ability to record actual arc time, I also could only speculate how many hours the previous owner put on it plus the time I did. All I know is that when I go on the road or to the shop the machines fire up and weld with that proven technology that I expect and customers demand.
                Well I so agree with you on that. If you find a tool that fits the bill and you can really excel with it, you are a lucky lad. That being said I agree that your Sync is totally the right machine for you.

I too have some magical machines at work. My old american made Rite Hite toe clamps, 11lb. polyurethane sledge deadblow mallets, my old transformer Cobramig260, my transformer Lincoln SP170T 230v0lt mig, and my old Huntsman 711p helmets, all of which are old school and not made anymore.

I also love my old Linde flowmeter/regulators with the rotating square meters. I hate the fact that the outlet pressure is 50psi, but they sure are beautiful. All my new ones are victor flowmeters with 25psi output with gassaver hoses. I sent out one linde flowmeter for restoration, and will be sending out the dual stage for restoration soon. Don't know where I will be useing them but I sure got a lot of good use out of them the last 30 years.

Miller Dynasty700DX
                Miller Dynasty200DX
                ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                MillerMatic350P
                MKCobraMig260
                Lincoln SP-170T
                Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                Hypertherm 1250
                Hypertherm 800
                PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                SiberHegner CNC Mill
                2 ea. Bridgeport
                LeBlond 15" Lathe
                Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

Originally posted by RWL View Post
                  Somewhere on the message board I recall a mention that there was an independant company that did repair on Miller circuit boards and it was a lot less to repair the board than to replace it in most cases. I thought that I'd saved this information but I hadn't. I'm thinking it was some place in Texas, but it's been long enough that I don't remember for sure.
                  I have it but i thought they are out of business but the link works now...Bob
                  http://www.industrialelectronics.com/welding.htm
                  Bob Wright

Comment

Glad this Dyn vs Sync discussion was settled amicably.... as it really is an Apples to Oranges comparison..... while both are Tig welders and excellent , they are really different animals....

like comparing perforformance cars.....

Take a Porsche 997 Twin Turbo vs a Hemi Cuda...... Both are supercars in their own right... but very different in how they achieve their goal.... one uses massive displacement and overcarburation to make power while the other uses computer control and tremendous amounts of precisely controlled boost and interwoven telemetry inputs to get volumes of power to connect to the pavement...... one a small compact, sophisticated package that requires constant attention and is a bit finicky..... the other using a more brute force approach....but being easier to work on and less sophisticated......
                    Which is better??? no fair way to compare them... so why try... both were state of the art in their own universe and time..and still stand on their own merits....

Historical Perspective: Technology marches on... when the "Square Wave" chopper welders were introduced about 30-35 years ago... the guys with the tried and true "Magnetic Amplifier" machines decried it as VooDoo and unreliable as well as needlessly complex..... Just as the Scratch Tig guys who had relied on Transformer taps or Moveable Core.... cried out when the Magnetic Amp and variable Foot pedal were introduced................ AND... the Inverter guys will defend their "tried and true" technology when Miller introduces the latest cigarette pack sized Giga-Amp.. flux capacitor powered welder in the future.... Baa Humbug!!!!
                    Last edited by H80N; 11-24-2011, 11:57 AM. Reason: history...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                      Glad this Dyn vs Sync discussion was settled amicably.... as it really is an Apples to Oranges comparison..... while both are Tig welders and excellent , they are really different animals....

.............. AND... the Inverter guys will defend their "tried and true" technology when Miller introduces the latest cigarette pack sized Giga-Amp.. flux capacitor powered welder in the future.... Baa Humbug!!!!
                      You evil evil man!

Miller Dynasty700DX
                      Miller Dynasty200DX
                      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                      MillerMatic350P
                      MKCobraMig260
                      Lincoln SP-170T
                      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                      Hypertherm 1250
                      Hypertherm 800
                      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                      SiberHegner CNC Mill
                      2 ea. Bridgeport
                      LeBlond 15" Lathe
                      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                      Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

We got a bit off topic...

I do have some real concerns about the original OP who still has a dead Dynasty 200DX.... that sits at the Airgas... because the tech went on vacation...and the LWS has no "Plan B"...and no apparent sense of urgency.... what a way to run a business...
                        Last edited by H80N; 11-25-2011, 04:26 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

And the point being? heck I take vacations, well not really, I take a long haul run, or operate heavy equipment usually have my cell on me and take weld calls from around the country. But all the same there are other repair depos around. I make arrangements to send stuff to them when I'm away.

in this case the op didn't want it fixed

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                            in this case the op didn't want it fixed
                            My understanding from the OP was that they reached agreement for a go ahead over a week ago...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

I felt I owed this to the board to talk about the updates on my situation. I spoke to one of the TIG technicians at Miller directly off an on the week of 11/14. We chatted about the situation, exchanged info, and discussed nest steps, etc. On 11/17, it was confirmed that they had the interconnect board needed and would be helping me out by sending this to Airgas. I would still be responsible for the original $1000 repair bill, but they would send off a good used interconnect board to soften the blow of the secondary $950 bill I was looking at. I'm very grateful for the folks at Miller for stepping up to get this done.

I then spoke to Airgas the morning of 11/17 to let them know that Miller would be dropping off the board and to proceed with the parts they had previously ordered for me and had in stock. That's when they indicated that they wouldn't be able to touch it until sometime early the week of 11/28 due to vacations, etc.

So, long story short, the saga continues, but I hope this week will bring some closure. Wish me luck!
                              Last edited by kjlindgr; 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM.
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 210
                              Spectrum 3080

Comment

Ok
                                Good luck!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                                Miller WC-115-A
                                Miller Spectrum 300
                                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                                X