Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty died...need some suggestions

Hey all,

I'm a bit down on my luck here and pretty bummed about it. I'm a long-time Miller owner and have had my share of MIG, TIG, and plasma machines...all in blue. Well, as things would have it, my Dynasty 200DX died just a couple weeks ago. I fired it up one day and it gave me the HELP-8 code. Took it into the local Miller dealer and they indicated about $2000 in circuit boards that need replacing. Even in perfect working order, they say it's only worth about $700 to them on trade. I asked them about other machines (new, used, etc.) and they seem pretty much unwilling to even deal with me or give me a break on something else.

I'm feeling pretty bad about this and am looking for advice. I guess I'm looking at a new machine since this one isn't worth fixing, but do I go with a Syncrowave 250DX for my next machine? I had a 180SD and it was a good little unit, but I need something with more power. I hear that they are more stout than the inverter welders. I need something that's going to last more than a couple years...which my Dynasty didn't. I can forego some of the fancy inverter features for something that will last me a long time.

If anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it...or if anyone knows of deals on used equipment, I'd also be interested.

Thanks

Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 210
    Spectrum 3080

I would put the broken one on ebay, I have seen broken ones go for 1000 or more, just a thought.
    Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Miller 375 X-Treme

Comment

Originally posted by kjlindgr View Post
      I need something that's going to last more than a couple years...which my Dynasty didn't.
      Your Dynasty lasted less than "a couple years"?

Shouldn't it still be under warranty?

Comment

Second Opinion???

All too often I see modern equip with built in diag and display discarded without even having the covers removed or any conventional troubleshooting attempted...
        you might look into finding another place to diagnose it or maybe send back to Miller.... there are too many lazy or ignorant techs out there.... have seen too many "eyeball" diags...just look at it and deem it unrepairable.. the few bad ones give the rest a bad name...... the majority are conscientious and honest... but there are some bad ones... not saying that this is the case with your Dyn.... but... it is an expensive enough piece of equipment to not let go without a second opinion...
        Maybe Cruizer could offer some advice??
        Last edited by H80N; 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Yeah, I can put it up on eBay I guess. No harm in that and I'm sure someone more savvy than myself could fix it cheaper.

I bought the welder from Airgas here locally and it was a refurbished welder from Miller. It worked great over the years, but since it wasn't "new", the warranty wasn't as long. The technicians looking at it are actually Airgas in Appleton and they've been talking direct with Miller techs I guess. I have a feeling they are being honest with me on the repairs, although they charge list price for all components. Either way, I'm upset that it died after a relatively short period of time.

For a long-time Miller customer too, I wish Miller could offer me something better than a "sorry". I don't want anything for free, but dibs on a nicely used demo unit or something would be nice.
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 210
          Spectrum 3080

Comment

Appleton????

if you are right in Appleton.... maybe you could have the factory techs look at it... it's not like there would be a lot of shipping involved...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

OK. there is NOTHING in that machine worth $2K, what was the diagnosis??

Comment

I have never opened one of these welders up but i did speak with a miller tech a few weeks ago regarding these main boards and he said it was fairly simple to install new boards and that it didn't require any special tools etc. He told me a main board ran about $1k and that usually repair shops charge $500-1000 to repair. I would find out what board is needed and how much it cost for parts alone. From my conversation with the miller tech you should be able to install the board alone.

And i dont believe that a dyn200 in working order is only worth $700. They are selling all over ebay above $1500.

Comment

Mainboard runs at $773 from Miller4less, and somewhat less for a repair shop.

Comment

I was originally quoted $761 for two boards (PN: 204821, 207822) plus $220 labor. At that time, the bill was $988 so I said "go for it" and repair the welder. They ordered up the parts and finally opened things up today. I just talked to the repair guy today and he said upon opening up the welder, there's another board that looks damaged and the cost of that is $950 (unknown labor charge, and I didn't get the part number). Combined, I'm looking at $2000 or so for all 3 boards.

I called Miller a while back to inquire about the infamous HF arc board and their tech guy pretty much didn't want to deal with me and said I had to go through a dealer for a part number and ordering info. I got the impression that they didn't deal direct with people.

Thoughts?
                    Last edited by kjlindgr; 11-15-2011, 09:17 PM.
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 210
                    Spectrum 3080

Comment

Originally posted by kjlindgr View Post
                      I was originally quoted $761 for two boards (PN: 204821, 207822) plus $220 labor. At that time, the bill was $988 so I said "go for it" and repair the welder. They ordered up the parts and finally opened things up today. I just talked to the repair guy today and he said upon opening up the welder, there's another board that looks damaged and the cost of that is $950 (unknown labor charge, and I didn't get the part number). Combined, I'm looking at $2000 or so for all 3 boards.

I called Miller a while back to inquire about the infamous HF arc board and their tech guy pretty much didn't want to deal with me and said I had to go through a dealer for a part number and ordering info. I got the impression that they didn't deal direct with people.

Thoughts?
                      Id see if you can have the board repaired. Been down this route before with Miller when they told me to go pound sand.
                      Miller 330 BPA - Sold
                      Miller 180SD Syncrowave - Sold
                      Miller Aircrafter 330ST - Sold
                      Miller 351 Syncrowave - Sold
                      Miller CP-300
                      Miller Maxstar 150 STL
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller 135 Millermatic
                      Miller Spectrum 250D (Now running strong!)

Comment

Originally posted by regal2800 View Post
                        And i dont believe that a dyn200 in working order is only worth $700. They are selling all over ebay above $1500.
                        Hah! Have you ever seen a Dynasty 200DX go for less than $2000 on ebay? They are paying 2200-2300 for an older, non-blue lightning, dynasty.
                        Start the bidding at $1 and watch it rocket. Just guarantee it is working.

Cyberweld is selling new for $3000 right now.

As for getting it fixed. I can't imagine it being much different than the Maxstar. The machines are tight fit and things have to be done in sequence, but its not rocket science. Its patience and keeping track of things. Hit a local TV repair shop (if you can still find one) and see what they would charge to replace the board (you buy it).

And yeah, I've seen broken ones go for $500+ on ebay as well. There is definitely a feeding frenzy when a Dynasty 200 shows up. If the outside of the case doesn't look abused, you should do well.
                        Con Fuse!
                        Miller Dynasty 350
                        Millermatic 350P
                        -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                        Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                        Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

My last call with the Airgas repair guy put me off on this a bit. The fact that they didn't estimate the work correctly the first time and ended up doubling their original quote before the work even began irritated me. Then, they said that the board #3 that needed to be replaced "checked out", but looked sketchy and if they replaced first two and ended up frying them because I didn't replace board #3, I'd be out of luck and have to repurchase them.

I can screw stuff together or put wire connections on stuff, I just don't want to deal with blowing stuff and the unknown repair costs that could quickly spiral out of control. I already went from $1000 to $2000 and now who knows what else could be wrong.
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 210
                          Spectrum 3080

Comment

Call the FACTORY!!!! it is looking more and more like a dealer and customer relations issue......
                            YOU NEED a Second Opinion!!!

maybe somebody will finally open the case and measure some test points....

looks like you are getting an old fashioned milking...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

I'd definately NOT take their word for it as there is an extensive prepower check list for the unit to determine EXACTLY whats wrong with the unit. Being that a board looks sketchy is NOT tech talk. We take that machine apart FIRST, DO the prepower check list and inform the customer what happened.

I do the estimate and NEVER go over the estimate. Usually the cost is well under that price then do the preventative maintainance so that error never reappears.
                              Last edited by cruizer; 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X