Diode Resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diode Resistance

Have an old (65) IdealArc 250. Have not ran it as it has no leads yet or power cord. Pulled it apart to blow out almost 50 years of dust and look over. Supposedly it ran fine before......
    Anyways, I took some measurements on the four diodes and came up with the following. Do these seem right?

#1 1.108M & Infinite
    #2 .78M & 11.7M
    #3 .42M & .73M
    #4 .61M & 2.08M

I would have thought they would all be much closer in measurment to each other. But what do I know. I had them isolated from each other and did measurements 3 times all the same as above.
    Campbell Hausfeld 110V MIG
    Jo Ann Fabrics Hot Glue Gun

Can't be of much help but the unit being that old it probably has Germanium Diodes in it and they behave differently than the newer silicon ones. Large leakage current is one of the characteristics of Germanium Diodes.

Comment

Nope, that one has real pig tailed diodes, and you'll need a real diode tester to test them as well as isolate each one so that your not picking up a winding or coil in your tests.

Comment

So...would I be able to try to pass current through each one each way? Say using a 12V car battery to see if it goes one way only.

Comment

Originally posted by NathanH View Post
          So...would I be able to try to pass current through each one each way? Say using a 12V car battery to see if it goes one way only.
          If you do this, be sure and use a load in series with the diode, such as a headlamp.
          Tim

Many cordless tools...........
          2 cordless hammers
          2 cordless punches
          1 cordless chisel
          2 cordless screwdrivers, 1 + and 1 -
          and a cordless adjustable wrench that also doubles as a hammer.....

Comment

Put 12V to each diode pigtail end (anode) and a lamp on the stud end (cathode) then to ground. All four lit the lamp. When I reversed polarity, no light. Think that all are good then. Have to get powered up and see what happens next. May put some paint on the sheet metal first. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Thats dumb, just get a simple diode tester

Comment

Yeah, now my battery is dead and car won't start.

Comment

Working...
                X