TIG welding cold rolled steel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG welding cold rolled steel problem

I am TIG welding cold roll 1/8" plate in a T joint configuration. For some reason when i weld cold rolled i can only get a nice weld on one side. The other side of the plate gets little scales and its impossible to weld even after i steel brush it. how do i avoid this?

Back it up with another piece of metal to keep the air away as much as possible.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Wire brushing will not remove scale. All it does is polish it.

For tig welding, you need to "grind" the scale off with a grinding wheel or flap disk.
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

Comment

it is cold rolled steel so there is no scale until AFTER i weld one side. what causes the scaling? does the heat just bring crap in the metal to the surface? i will try grinding or sand flap.

how does placing a plate of steel behind the weld side prevent scaling?

Comment

You are creating the scale from the heat. This is why hot rolled steel has scale. It is the reaction from oxygen on hot steel. Adding a plate behind it will act as a heat sink to keep the steel cooler. Although, I think you are welding too hot and / or too slow to be creating scale on 1/8 tee joint.
          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
          1- Blue star 185
          1- BOBCAT 250
          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
          1- MILLER DVI
          2- PASSPORT PLUS
          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
          1- HF-251 BOX
          1- S-74D
          1- S-75DXA
          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

As the other members stated, a reaction with the O2 in air causes that scaling. It is called sugering on stainless, that is why they have to backgas/purge with inert gas on stainless,titanium,nickle alloys, ect.
            There is a product called Solarflux, been around since WWII, developed for welding stainless exhaust manifolds for the Navy, was a top secret during the war. That would solve your problem, comes as a powder, you mix with methanol as much as you need, and paint on, the stuff brushes off except where high heat is and that will turn to a glass slag, it can be knocked off easy with a wire brush or Scotchbrite pad on grinder. Pricey, but can solve major problems while welding on objects that are difficult to purge/backgas. It goes a long way and can be rejuvenated if you let the methanol evaporate.

Hope this helps, Paul ,
            Last edited by paulrbrown; 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM.
            More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Not a professinal by any standards but i do believe your welding too hot or too slow as mentioned.

Comment

Thanks for everyones response. I understand the heat issue but i feel if i welded any cooler i wouldn't be getting good penetration. i will try to get a picture of the welds but they dont appear to be too hot. The welds are fairly shiny. Placing a heat sink on the other side is a good idea.

Comment

another trick:aluminum is a even better heat sink than steel and copper is even better........use angle for putting under your corner seams and it will act as a stop shelf and will not stick to the piece being welded....hope this makes sense....Paul
                  More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X