When is the right time to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is the right time to buy?

As I have mentioned elsewhere I have been pining for a Dynasty 200 since before they were officially released. I now have saved the necessary pennies and have the wife's blessing.

Now I hear rumors of new machines to be added to the Dynasty line-up in the spring, and the current “Golden-Ticket” promotion is ending soon. Is there much of a chance that I will regret buying a 200DX now? Does anyone think that the new machines will be attractive to someone who can only barely justify the expense of the current 200DX?

Does anyone think that Miller will come up with a new promotion that will apply to the 200DX? I don’t remember seeing that any of the recent promotions applied to any of the Dynasty machines (perhaps they don’t need to stimulate more interest in that portion of their product line).

Do you know any news on the new machines? A little more info might help you make the decision.

How long will you have to wait?

What's the price on the new machine? I assume it'll be priced somewhere between the 200 and 350.

Is it priced high enough to make the 200 still be attractive? You've got to assume it's going to be considerably more expensive than the 200. If the 250/275 were too cheap miller would commit suicide on the 200. They aren't going to do that.

What's going to happen to the prices on used 200s after the new machine comes out. There's probably going to be a fair number of people wanting to sell their 200 to buy the new 250/275. You might catch a good deal on a used 200.

Based on dollar per amp prices on the dyn200 and dyn350 from cyberweld (roughly $16/amp), I'd expect a dyn250 to sell for around $4000, and a dyn275 around $4300.

So is that extra 50 amps worth another $1000?

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    Econotig (for sale)
    MM210
    Lincoln AC225 tombstone
    Victor O/A
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Ingersoll-Rand 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    AEAD-200 on extended loan from Dad

Comment

I only have the rumor that appeared on the thread about Miller downplaying the Syncrowaves, so I don't know if the new machines would be between the 200 and the 350, between the 350 and the 700, or adding functions to one of the existing machines.

I'm usually smart enough to avoid basing purchase decisions on what might come out next, but for some reason I am nervous about this one.

Guess I just don't want to plunk down almost 4 grand and wish I had waited.

Again I don't know how long I'd have to wait, just have the rumor from the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Meier View Post
        As I have mentioned elsewhere I have been pining for a Dynasty 200 since before they were officially released. I now have saved the necessary pennies and have the wife's blessing.

Now I hear rumors of new machines to be added to the Dynasty line-up in the spring, and the current “Golden-Ticket” promotion is ending soon. Is there much of a chance that I will regret buying a 200DX now? Does anyone think that the new machines will be attractive to someone who can only barely justify the expense of the current 200DX?

Does anyone think that Miller will come up with a new promotion that will apply to the 200DX? I don’t remember seeing that any of the recent promotions applied to any of the Dynasty machines (perhaps they don’t need to stimulate more interest in that portion of their product line).
        As for a new model coming out. All that I've ever heard from a Miller rep is the non-commital "We know our customers and understand what they need and want".
        Everything else is pure speculation.

The real answer depends on how much are you going to use it. If you say weekly (multiple hrs every weekend), I'd say buy it now. In 6 months to a year you can sell it and upgrade. Keep the welder in sellable condition (shiny on the outside, no stickers etc.) and you will do well with it on Ebay.
        But at least it gets you welding/learning now.
        Con Fuse!
        Miller Dynasty 350
        Millermatic 350P
        -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
        Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
        Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Kevin,

I got a Dynasty 350 in Jan 2008.
          I drooled after one for a long time before I was able to buy it.

Shortly after I got it, the Blue Lightning feature was added
          but my machine is not able to have this feature added.

Am I at a disadvantage?
          Am I disappointed?
          Am I mad at Miller?

No, because I am the limiting factor.

If the BL feature would make me weld like some of the others on this forum,
          I would upgrade in an instant.

But as I may have mentioned in my earlier posts, my mentor who got me started in tigging can still lay down beads with his "old" Syncrowave 250 which look like machine welds. (And he uses a passive helmet.)

I am glad Miller is constantly improving and upgrading the line but I believe this technology is much like computers, cars and smart phones.

There will always be a "better" one just around the corner.

Good luck,
          Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

If you need the machine then buy it now. If you don't need it & it's just a hobby it would be cheaper to find someone local who will let you use their machine. If you just have to have one then buy it.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24