Abrasive vs cold cut saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abrasive vs cold cut saw

I am looking at getting a cut-off type saw for some light fab work. It will mostly be cutting 1-2" tubing, square and round, along with some angle, strapping, etc.

My question is, is a dry cut worth the extra cost of blades? I have never used one before on steel. I used to work at an aluminum fishing boat plant and cut a lot of aluminum with them, but never steel. I read a lot of people complaining about them getting dull fast. Not sure if that is maybe due to blade quality, user issues, or normal?

Any input is appreciated!
    "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
    -- PAUL HOWE --

I've got an Evolution Raptor dry cut saw........had it for over 2 years now ....still on the original blade that came with it...........and I've had a ton of material through it from 4x4 1/4 wall on down without any noticeable dropoff in the blades cutting ability.. Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Comment

Abrasive throws nasty crap in every direction.
      Also the blade flexs and makes less accurate cuts.
      Save for the Blade version or get a bandsaw.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Thanks. Looking at a lot of reviews, it seems that maybe the blades that come wth the saws are not the best? I am thinking that and user technique, or lack thereof, is most likely the problem.

So, with a good blade and proper use a cold cut will far out shine an abrasive I take it.
        "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
        -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

There are several past threads you can search for and you will get more info than you need on the subject.
          sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 350P
          30A Spoolgun
          Lincoln Pro Mig 140
          Hypertherm Powermax 30
          14" Rage Evolution dry saw
          40 ton press brake
          Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

I will look that up, thanks.
            -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

I've had my Steel Max for 2 years and have cut so much steel i can't remember it all. just bought a new blade to replace the original and had the old blade resharpened and 2 teeth replaced for $24.50. the new blade is an Evolution blade that cost $95. i guess with the amount of cuts the old blade did i would have used probably 100 give or take abrasives and i don't know how many 4.5" disks to clean up the abrasive saw cuts to make them weldable. when you figure the costs it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure how long it would take to pay for the cold cut saw and start saving/making money. i just bought the Evolution Rage 4, 7 1/4" cold cut saw with the all purpose blade to cut small steel and aluminum tube-etc so i don't have to change blades on the big saw. i haven't had it long enough to give a full review on it but so far it has been an awesome little saw.
              miller 225 bobcat
              miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
              mm175, mm211, TA181i
              mm252 w/30a spool gun
              precision tig 225
              hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
              Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
              hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
              victor journeyman & super range
              ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
              steel max and evolution carbide saws
              6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
              case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
              if first you don't succeed
              trash the b#####d

Comment

If you decide on the cold cut saw, Lowes now has the Evolution Rage2 for $199 either online or in stores (at least here in TX). I picked one up a few days ago and like it so far. Seems to be sturdy enough and makes very nice cuts. The only con I have is that it doesn't have the quick setting feature on the vise but it does have a crank on the setting wheel so it's not bad. You can get good replacement blades here: http://www.cripedistributing.com/fre...de-p-1467.html for $40 which is cheaper than most for a decent blade. BTW, Lowes also gives a 10% discount to military (active, reserves, retired, ETC) if you qualify. Good luck with your search.

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I am going to save my mony and go the cold saw route. Those both look like pretty decent saws.
                  -- PAUL HOWE --

Comment

How well do the cold/dry saws work on GMAW welds? The reason I ask is I am modifying my trailer and the GMAW welds must have been done with 100% carbon dioxide and S6. Cannot get my grinder in there and have been using my reciprocating saw, burning blades and killing my muscles.

Yes, a plasma would be ideal here but I need a weldable surface without grinding.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarsman View Post
                      So, with a good blade and proper use a cold cut will far out shine an abrasive I take it.
                      Absolutely!!!
                      The cold saw will not deflect like an abrasive disc will and the result is a 90° cut.
                      No slag to grind off either.
                      No mess of abrasive grit covering everything in the shop.

I bought my Makita LC1230 machine 6 or more years ago and am still on the original blade...........

You buy a cold cut saw and you are never going to regret it. You will only wonder what took you so long to do so.
                      pg

Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
                      Coolmate 3
                      MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                      HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
                      Victor O/A Rig
                      Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
                      10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
                      Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
                      Baldor 10 inch Buffer
                      Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
                      Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
                      Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
                      Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
                      Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X