Curious about an eBay Dynasty 200 listing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about an eBay Dynasty 200 listing

I was looking at used miller dynasty 200 sd welder tig welder tested on eBay and I got curious.

The stock number, I think, is an SD stock number, and the serial number comes up as a dynasty 200 SD in the miller manual search, but the picture of the front panel really looks like a DX to me. It has buttons all the way across. When asked, the seller assured me that the picture in the listing is the welder that is for sale.

Is there an innocent explanation how a Dynasty 200SD could have a front panel with buttons all the way across, which I think means it has buttons for the pulse and sequencer functions?

Originally posted by Kevin Meier View Post
    I was looking at used miller dynasty 200 sd welder tig welder tested on eBay and I got curious.

The stock number, I think, is an SD stock number, and the serial number comes up as a dynasty 200 SD in the miller manual search, but the picture of the front panel really looks like a DX to me. It has buttons all the way across. When asked, the seller assured me that the picture in the listing is the welder that is for sale.

Is there an innocent explanation how a Dynasty 200SD could have a front panel with buttons all the way across, which I think means it has buttons for the pulse and sequencer functions?
    Maybe the Dynasty on Ebay is just like the one I bought on Ebay two years ago.
    It was listed as a brand new Dynasty 200DX.
    I bought it.
    When I received it I opened the brand new box and looked at the serial number.
    It was for a pre DX as far as I could tell. Disappointing!
    Then going through the manual and menus I found it had the DX features. Huh???

I called Miller and they had no record of the serial number.
    I posted this on the forum and Andy saw the pic of the serial tag and tells me it is a phony
    He looks up the number for me and comes up that the number on my machine was for a 2007 Miller 350 Mig machine.

Long story made short.....
    The machine was stolen and most likely from a Miller distributorship.
    The Dynasty was made a month before I bought it as far as we could tell because of the DX features. But the thieves had peeled every serial number off inside the machine and manufactured a very real looking (to me) serial tag stuck to the back of the machine.
    I still have the stolen welder and it works fine. Only problem is no warranty on it at all.

There is no such thing as updating an SD machine to a DX, so I would be careful in buying it myself unless you are getting it for a very good price.
    pg

Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
    Coolmate 3
    MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
    Victor O/A Rig
    Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
    10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
    Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
    Baldor 10 inch Buffer
    Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
    Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
    Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
    Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
    Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

that ad has been on ebay before, maybe a couple of times

Comment

That serial # comes up as a Dynasty 200 DX 120-460 vac input, born on 10/30/2008

Comment

And its really not all that difficult to make a SD into a DX machine.

Comment

Wow. That's embarrassing.

It sure looks like I'm the fool. The only thing fishy about the listing was that the seller had the model wrong. I was sure I saw SD when I pulled up the manual!

Thanks for setting this newbie straight.

The welder was bought by someone else, and I'll keep looking. Almost have enough saved up for a new one.

Comment

You aren't a fool because you're checking before you buy.

If it really had serial number for an SD on a machine that was clearly a DX that would wave red flags to me. I would have to assume the machine was stolen and someone had restickered the serial number.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
              MM210
              MM Vintage
              Lincoln AC225
              Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
              Cutmaster 81
              IR 2475N7.5FP
              Evolution Rage3
              Jancy USA101
              9" South Bend
              AEAD-200LE

Comment

No, I'm a fool because I didn't look carefully at the stock number to see that, despite what the seller said, it really was a DX.

I looked at the model chart on millerwelds.com, and didn't notice that the first six digits are the same between the SD and the DX. Wouldn't have bothered anyone if I had noticed that the first few hundred times I have looked at the machines.

BTW, I've been trying to convince the Chief Financial Officer at home that I really NEED a Dynasty 200 since I first heard that Miller was testing an inverter TIG machine that would run on 110 and run on a small 220 breaker.

She finally released almost-but-not-quite enough funds. Maybe soon.

Comment

Working...
                X