mig welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mig welds

May have a weld test/interview for a new job as a mig welder this week so ran a few practice beads on some 3/4 .083 wall square tubing with my millermatic 212 last night. I think they look pretty good for the first time mig welding in about a year but wondering if you see anything I need to work on? The job will be doing production mig welding on 14 gauge steel.
    Millermatic 212 Autoset
    Esab CaddyMig C160i

Probably too good.

Comment

You asking about the stringer bead on the tubing, or the bubble gum on the receiver tube?

Just because you can run a bead, in position, with everything set up right, doesn't mean you're ready for prime time. It's the out of position stuff that separates the welders from the wanna be's.
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
        You asking about the stringer bead on the tubing, or the bubble gum on the receiver tube? Just because you can run a bead, in position, with everything set up right, doesn't mean you're ready for prime time. It's the out of position stuff that separates the welders from the wanna be's.
        The stringer beads, the other welds were done by my brother who has never welded before and it didn't come out to good so I cut everything apart and used it as scrap and going to rebuild what he was trying to do. I also know that the out of position welding is what seperates the welders from the wanna be's and I do try to practice in odd angels and positions to learn how to do that stuff as the majority of what I want to do on my car is out of position but, For this job it will be mainly in position welding production/manufacturing type job but at this point its a job and its experience while I work towards doing the other stuff and improve my ability at it.
        Millermatic 212 Autoset
        Esab CaddyMig C160i

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
          You asking about the stringer bead on the tubing, or the bubble gum on the receiver tube?

Just because you can run a bead, in position, with everything set up right, doesn't mean you're ready for prime time. It's the out of position stuff that separates the welders from the wanna be's.
          Alittle harsh...... but true. out of position and the ability to set/trouble shoot your equipment to run out of position. when you have a basic knowledge and skill set, that usually is a good place to start. To further the skills to be good out of position, comes with time under the sheild. You have to start somewhere. production welding often means shift work, which means someone else will be useing that rig. If he/she likes to weld with different settings than you, you better be able to set that machine to produce a quality weld. If not, then you are nothing more than a trigger holder. They usually dont work very long. Do your research and practice, practice. Strive to be more than a trigger holder. Just my opinion.

Comment

I agree out of position can be a pain and does take practice. I was in factory position for 8 plus years, after each layoff it seemed to take me a few days to get back in the swing of it, not having a welder at home to keep in practice made it hard. Otherwise looked good. No need to worry bout the ones who are being a bit rough on you, practice is the key!

Comment

Good luck with the job. I am on my 3rd one this year and finally found one i like. .045 flux core all day long. Looks like this one is a keeper and yes sometimes i have to stand on my head...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
              X