No announcement yet.

getting inches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like rig hand said don't change everything all at once. Welding 20 joints that all fail is way worse than welding 10 that pass. But if you make small changes along the way you can look at the outcomes and keep making changes until you have it perfected.
    Thats a really good clear statement. Thats part of the learning curve, obviously the man has the skill to do passable work sometimes it takes a while to get proficient. A while back I practice something for 4 days, first couple was drag azz, about the 4th day it comes back. Some skill sets take up to a couple years to get proficient if one has the basic talent.
    On small stuff with small electrodes I think it can be fussy, arc length and even couple amps can be a factor, changing more rods in difficult spots. In my world its easy to make an acceptable weld, I would have to work like a dog to make a great one. It takes a certain amount of practice after you "learn" the technique to put all the parameters on auto pilot.

Comment

For me tig alum is a lot like that, do it so occasionally, know the basics but got to really think,,, whats wrong, some guys do it regular just come flying by. I am sweating bullets and they look like old lady knitting the 100th sweater.

Comment

One time I was working in a job shop, was a steel place and we get some job comes in for alum. The boss asks me to do it, I said,,, sheet,,, but Stanley over there told me he tig it every day for 3 yrs in a shipyard. Well, Stanley as it turns out doesn't know much about "that" machine as its a different color or sumthin, say no more, I find all the stuff, rig it up, strike an arc, yup, put Stanley who was by the way the "right" man for this job in this company, I did the fixtures and he is a blaze, don't know a frickin thing about it but that one thing, perfect every time. As I recall they kept that job a while,,, reason it had come by I believe was the last outfit had some rookie do it and it was some kind of showy fixture.
        I pretty much had to go every morning and turn the machine on but the guy could weld them.
        Last edited by Sberry; 09-24-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

One of the best welders I ever ran across I think was a guy, maybe late 20's from Jamaica, he has worked 3 or 4 years a shipyard before he joined Ironworker's. The natural ease he had was as good as anyone I can recall. Met a lot that were as good and super proficient but his nature was noticeably different.

Comment

I worked with a guy like that as well. He worked with the boiler makers for quite a few years. But he could weld faster and nicer than anyone i have ever came across. It never seemed like he was rushing and never had his machine cranked way up. He always told me just keep your hood down and weld. Might have been the best advice anyone ever gave me. But have never meant anyone like him again.
            Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
              I don't know about that righand, typically I'll weld each joint,either a rollout or a position weld, like my job tomorrow depends on it. Don't care to see ribbons flapping about on one that I let my standards go a little bit just to see what I can get away with.

Buts that just the thing of it, you're cranking out the inches all day long and can get a little complacent now and then and boom!, there's a repair ribbon to help you start your day.
              I'm not saying that you need to leave any defects in your welds, I'm saying there is a lot of stuff that takes care of itself but in order to find that balance you have to have a little faith. You can grind your beads perfectly clean and hot pass them and have no slag lines on the film. You can also not grind as much, run a little hotter and stand on it a little longer and still not have any slag lines on film. See what I'm getting at. I try and make every weld clean as a whistle, but in a bind I know what will and won't fly.
              '08 F-350
              Vantage 400
              SA-250
              SA-200
              Invertec V350Pro
              Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
              Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
              Track torch

Comment

Working...