business talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• business talk

hi fellow welders hope all is well.I would like to say ive done a search on this topic and got some good info on it . what im looking for is just some critic on a job i done today. ive been welding for 10 years now for a dredge comp,a few pipe companys. and some nuclear shutdowns.ive done some side welding for people while i was working fulltime and it got to hard working 60hr weeks and then trying to do welding on the side so i quit welding at home and started traveling again.today i did a job for a customer ive done quite abit for him in the past.this was the first job ive done for him since since ive started back. this is how i priced the job we agreed on a set price for the work i did on the bushhog then he said he wanted a plate on front of the cage and he said do that two. i said sure.so i did the set job first then i started the clock on the plate job i had to put on a 10in by 30in by 1/4 plate 12in of 2x2x1/8 angle. ihad to grind paint and rust just to start so i log 3hr at 40hr the shops around here are 65 hr.i billed him 120 for labor and charged him 50 cent an inch for welding material and 20 bucks for the plate and angel. there was 130 in of weld metal.the material price was 85.the total bill was 255. the 50cent an inch was to cover mig wire/gas/grinderblades/etc.im not asking for you guys to tell me how yall price ur jobs just tell me if im heading in the right direction and if that sounds honest and fair and a few pointers. im trying to start this bussiness the right way .my wife is out of school now and makes good money and she dont want me on the road she said focus on the bussiness ill take care of the bills . so i moved into my dads shop 40x60 14ft door he passed away last march and the shop is paid for. theres 50000 or more in tools there he ran his own yacht restoation bussines for 20 years and being in his shop im at peace working with the same tools he did and i know this is what he would want. so any input is always appreacited wether its good or bad thankyou for ur time and happy welding.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you do well. Your wife sounds like an angel.

I was able to spend a year finding my way when I started my business 32 years ago. Truly it takes time to feel your way around the business scene. Take your wife's offer to heart and bust your butt.

First thing I would recommend is set a minimum charge for your work. That or do it for free. It just gets too complicated having to bargain your way around all the time.

Put your rates on paper and refer to it when needed. Lots of people like to be pushy and obnoxious.

Next find an accountant to help you with your books. It is SOOOO important to keep your financial affairs in order. And find a good bussiness insurance agent. Whether you like or not you will eventually spend tons of money on insurance.

Good luck to ya.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by dredgewelder View Post
      hi fellow welders hope all is well.I would like to say ive done a search on this topic and got some good info on it . what im looking for is just some critic on a job i done today. ive been welding for 10 years now for a dredge comp,a few pipe companys. and some nuclear shutdowns.ive done some side welding for people while i was working fulltime and it got to hard working 60hr weeks and then trying to do welding on the side so i quit welding at home and started traveling again.today i did a job for a customer ive done quite abit for him in the past.this was the first job ive done for him since since ive started back. this is how i priced the job we agreed on a set price for the work i did on the bushhog then he said he wanted a plate on front of the cage and he said do that two. i said sure.so i did the set job first then i started the clock on the plate job i had to put on a 10in by 30in by 1/4 plate 12in of 2x2x1/8 angle. ihad to grind paint and rust just to start so i log 3hr at 40hr the shops around here are 65 hr.i billed him 120 for labor and charged him 50 cent an inch for welding material and 20 bucks for the plate and angel. there was 130 in of weld metal.the material price was 85.the total bill was 255. the 50cent an inch was to cover mig wire/gas/grinderblades/etc.im not asking for you guys to tell me how yall price ur jobs just tell me if im heading in the right direction and if that sounds honest and fair and a few pointers. im trying to start this bussiness the right way .my wife is out of school now and makes good money and she dont want me on the road she said focus on the bussiness ill take care of the bills . so i moved into my dads shop 40x60 14ft door he passed away last march and the shop is paid for. theres 50000 or more in tools there he ran his own yacht restoation bussines for 20 years and being in his shop im at peace working with the same tools he did and i know this is what he would want. so any input is always appreacited wether its good or bad thankyou for ur time and happy welding.
      Was your customer happy with the charge for the extra (non bid) work? If so, sounds like you are on the right track.

-Ian
      :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

thanks for the reply . when i first tried to start sticking with a set price was hard and i got a lot of 10 15 dollor jobs people were greatful but i was not making no money. but this go around im sticking with the minimum price and the bill price is the price.but i will be fair with people and when they keep useing my servies ill start working with cost a little bit for being loyal customers . thanks for the post and kind words. happy welding

Comment

Originally posted by dredgewelder View Post
          thanks for the reply . when i first tried to start sticking with a set price was hard and i got a lot of 10 15 dollor jobs people were greatful but i was not making no money. but this go around im sticking with the minimum price and the bill price is the price.but i will be fair with people and when they keep useing my servies ill start working with cost a little bit for being loyal customers . thanks for the post and kind words. happy welding
          Definitely go with a minimum price. You'll have guys wanting you to fix a five dollar
          garden shovel otherwise! Spending dimes to make pennies...

Off topic here, but what kind of dredges did you work on?

-Ian
          :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

i do work on the side and the other day i done a job for a guy who owns a few wendy's well i charged him 200.00 it took me 35min to load the truck and cut the aluminum plate then a 45 minute ride to his store one way when i was there i burned a whole box of stainless steel rods "5 rods to a box" the rods are 11.00 a box the aluminum plates was 31"x12-1/2" i cut him two of them. the total time at the store was right at 2 hours plus the 30 minutes to cut the plate so i rounded it out to about 4 hours total then after i included the rods and the plate i came up with 200.00 as being a fair price .he asked me if i thought it was a high price or not and i said no because around here the guys with trucks won't touch this work for nuthin under 75.00 an hour it cost me 65.00 to top off the machine and truck with fuel to drive there plus the sheet of aluminum was right under 300'00 for the sheet and i used about 1/4th or it so i figured i gave him a good deal on the job. some people that don't weld have no idea of the cost it takes to do a job and when you start to tell them they freak out on you.he told me when he called me that a guy refered him to me and said i would probably be able to help him out .the store owner told me he called a bunch of welders and also asked a few that came into the store to eat and not one of them would do the work for under 80.00 an hour plus materials.

Comment

Pushy boss's in steel maufacturing

Morning fellow welders.
              How many find people that want things for free?
              A now past boss of mine in a world wide known plant in the steel manufaturing busi-ness charged on in my driveway 1 day without a call or invited, and I have no
              sign out front but do have my own gig going on for years.
              He brought to me a set or, 4 Keystone Classis mag wheels that he wanted
              repaired. He had sent them out west somehwere to have them rechromed.
              The keystone classics are an aluminum inner mag with a steel slug placed on the
              end of the mag to be welded to the steel rim.
              I looked at it and refused the job but he proceeded to unload them drop them off
              and told me to see what I could do, yeh right ok?///
              Who ever welded these back together used a hard wire mig with stainless which may hace been good provided they could weld, they in my eyes as other rim
              repairing shops around
              said throw them away so anyway I tried to save them for show, well forget it,
              about 7 hours into them I quit, ya know when I gave them back he couldn't ever
              offered me a candy bar at work. This man is beyond a jerk. So I billed him an
              enormous amount at 80 an hour he refused to pay so I said I'd see him in the
              magistrate dummy paid, but if he would have left it go to magistrate I would have givin it to hi at the going rate, or when I was "right" with him if he would have
              offered me lunch it would have been good enough for me.
              Some people just make business suck.
              I end up doing a good deal of "great pricing" for lots of "nice" people.

Comment

If the going rate is $65 an hour why would you only charge $40? If you set a low price to get work then your customers will always expect you to be the cheapest guy. Customers who only want cheap usually have no loyalty & if your rate goes up they will jump to the low baller.
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

This is place everyone pizzes their pants, still makes me nervous as I don't do it all the time and not much anymore. I got a charge what I feel like scheme which depends on a couple factors, could be anywhere from 50 to 100 hr. A lot of people I just plain stay away from no matter what and try to avoid working on junk that isn't worth anything more even after you work on it. I fix a wagon the other day for neighbor, experienced man, the unit had a flaw, was overloaded, old but a simple repair made it useful and good for service at less than 1/4 what he could have found another for. 3 hrs next door at my pace for 200$ and they don't blink. He will get response from me, he is easy to work for so I don't try to gouge and worth 10 pain in the *** customers.
                  Given a little time you will hear every song and dance there is, don't fall for it, keep eyes open.
                  Some of the worst, small business types with college degrees, some of the best, blue collar business ownere that know they need their equipment and understand value. The ablve guy, writes the check on the spot, askes if thats enough and gushes about how glad he is to get it fixed
                  Last edited by Sberry; 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I have owned my welding business since 1988 so I know a thing or 2 about customers.

When a customer comes in my shop or I go out to them it doesnt matter if their rich or poor.
                    I charge $ 80.00 hr. from the time I leave my shop untill the time I get back.

Just like someone else said you need to have a minimum, mine happens to be $ 35.00 when I'm in the shop and $ 160.00 when I leave the shop for a portable even if I'm only gone for
                    1-1/2hrs

If you give a price less than fair market value, chances are you wont be in business very long.

Some one mentioned having an accountant and I could'nt agree more, If you cant afford an accountant you should go to work for some one else because if you dont pay your taxes you will be in the hole before you know it.

An accountant is not as expensive as you might think.

Right now I'm in a situation where I have people needing me to do little jobs like trailer hitches and welding on camper tops when I have big jobs to do, I'm reffering the jobs where I make $ 400.00 - 600.00 away because I have bigger jobs to do where I can keep a crew of 3 going for 8-10 hrs a day.

Dont trip over 50s to pick up a 5.00 bill.

There will always be the guys that want to beat you down and you have to learn to be nice and say ( I'm sorry but I cant do it for any less )

I just lost a deck on the back of a $ 800,000.00 home because my competitor was $ 3,000.00 cheaper than me.

I ended up finishing the job because the guy who took the job cheated on material and they through him off the job.

If you get every job you bid than your too cheap.

Good luck in your new business.
                    Last edited by Portable Welder; 09-06-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X