Newbie question about fitting tubing together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about fitting tubing together

I would like to know how to concave the end of square tubing so two pieces of the same size will slide into one another. Like how climbing sticks for deer stands are done. Thanks

There is an APP for that...

...or special tool I would think.
    You might be able to use a blunt chisel and hammer if is light tubing.
    The other option is weld a smaller tube inside one of the legs...this is a welding site after all...lol
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Comment

As already said slip some round tube inside. I would have it turned on a lathe so its snug and plug weld one end so the tube has a good mating surface. You also may need to grind out some weld inside the tube. Hope you aren't going to mass produce these and sell them. Thats a whole nuther world. Just my thought...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by c-bass View Post
        I would like to know how to concave the end of square tubing so two pieces of the same size will slide into one another. Like how climbing sticks for deer stands are done. Thanks
        I have made several swedges for round tubing, it is relatively easy to do if you have a lathe.

Making one for square tube would be a bit more involved, as each side of the swedge would have to be milled, not worth it in my opinion unless your going to do a production setup.
        mike sr

Comment

No mass production. I just don't trust my welds yet and wanted to build an apparatus that will hold some weight but also be inter changeable. I was thinking of making a 6" long frame to lay tube in between and place a smaller round tube on top and bottom. Then use a jack to press together. Turn tube and do ther two sides. It should be equal pressure top and bottom so when they touch, or can't go any further, the sides are equally pressed in.

Comment

Talking SQ tube here...

So you don't trust your welds but want to know how to cobble a less effective joint. Sorry but I would practice and then weld it.
            MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
            Just For Home Projects.

Comment

I'm practicing. It may be less effective but I need the option to disconnect which a weld doesn't provide. I know my welds are sufficient but I wouldn't max them out with weight. I am welding other parts of the apparatus but this part I'm not. Guess I just need to telescope it.

Comment

If you are worried about your welds, and are (for example) using 1" x 1/8" tubing, take a 8" piece of 3/4" x 1/8 and a 3" piece of 1" x 1/8", the 3/4 would slide through the 1" and you can "plug" weld the 1" to the 3/4" and the weld would have almost no strength when it comes to the joint. This would actually create you a double joint, but the weld doesn't matter in this case, just needs to hold the 3/4" in place.

These are just thought of measurements, if you are building a deer stand this way, you should make each slide in piece 8" with a pin hole.

Comment

Working...
                X