Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get United States Coast Guard Certification???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get United States Coast Guard Certification???

Hello everyone. I am not a welder myself. I have a large boat and I need to replace a large portion of the steel hull. My welder has to be USCG Certified to be able to do the work for passing my Coast Guard inspection. I am in Lake Havasu City. Does anyone know of any place in Las Vegas NV, or Phoenix AZ where I can have a welder take the test to get USCG Certified?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

I took the USCG 3/4" plate tests a few months ago thru my employer which is a marine maint company. The tests were overhead 3/4" plate with 7018 and another with .045 gas flux core and then the same rod and wire but vertical. Then the plates had to pass a visual then a bend test. There was a total of 8 bends. I passed all of mine...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

You also might want to call a local USCG office and ask. Might save some time...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

I dont think I have a local USCG office. I think because I have no coast!!! LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by havasuhd View Post
          I dont think I have a local USCG office. I think because I have no coast!!! LOL.
          Was wondering about that. After we weld a boat or barge the CG does a pressure check / look at in person but that might just be the type of work we do...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

check the phone book for a coast guard recruiting office they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.
            miller 225 bobcat
            miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
            mm175, mm211, TA181i
            mm252 w/30a spool gun
            precision tig 225
            hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
            Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
            hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
            victor journeyman & super range
            ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
            steel max and evolution carbide saws
            6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
            case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
            if first you don't succeed
            trash the b#####d

Comment

Ok I will check that out tomorrow. I know they still come down and inspect the boat after the work is done that is why I need a certified welder but they have not been very helpful in giving me information so far.

Comment

I know they still come down and inspect the boat after the work is done that is why I need a certified welder but they have not been very helpful in giving me information so far.
                I could use a week in AZ or Vegas and i can bring my tools ...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

You would need to come to beautiful Lake Havasu City! Thats where I am and the boat is. Phx or Vegas is where I am assuming I can get certification done.

It is more than a one week job though I am afraid. I am guessing 4 to 5 weeks.

Comment

Why do you need a coast guard inspection on the work done on your boat? Is it going to be used commercially? Is this boat to be used in the ocean or on Lake Havasu...I am just curious.. Good Luck with your project...

Comment

The boat is commercial, it is a Tour Boat on the lake here in Lake Havasu.

Comment

The boat is commercial, it is a Tour Boat on the lake here in Lake Havasu.
                        Can the vessel carry more than 6 paying passengers?

If so, it sounds like what is known as an "inspected vessel" (as opposed to "uninspected vessel").

I would find out who normally inspects the vessel for CFR46 compliance and ask them.

The U.S. Coast Guard Sector map here suggests that Lake Havasu is either in Sector Los Angeles-Long Beach or Sector San Diego. Maybe make a couple phone calls?

Comment

The boat holds 122 passengers, has a weight of 68 Gross Tons. I am pretty sure it is under the "inspected vessel" LOL.

I got a call back from the Coast guard finally today. Everything is good. I do not need a specifically certified welder the Coast Guard will just inspect everything as the work progresses.

I now have my next task ready. Pulling her out of the water!!!! :-D

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it.

-Keith

Comment

when i was working in the boat building and repair work the only thing we had to be certified in was pipe .as for as the but welds and all the bulkheads the coast guard inspector would come by and look at it if the weld passed the visual test we would then pressure up the tanks to about 1-1/2 lbs of pressure and hit it with soapy water if there was any leaks he would mark them and we would repair them but 99.9 % of the time we done all the pressure test before he got there to make sure there wasn't any leaks .it's been a long time sinse i worked doing that and i know things have changed.i do know one thing you need to make sure the plate your putting on is abs certified plate if it's not you could end up cutting it all out and replacing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X