Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FusionKing
    replied
    The dude hasn't been online here for almost 2 months.
    Surely he has it figured out by now.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    Check your balance settings??

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    The machine swaps polarity internally so you never need to move the leads. If he's got it in stick mode with the tig torch connected, he's going to be burning the tungstun since the machine will put positive on the tig torch.

I've done plenty of similar dumbass stuff:
    Forgot to turn on the cooler.
    Forgot to turn on the gas.
    Sit there tapping the stick against the work wondering why it won't light (tig lead is plugged into the machine).
    Forgot to hook up the ground.
    etc, etc.....

Of course there really could be something wrong with the machine. How about a picture of the lead hookup and the front panel? Somebody might spot something obvious.

Leave a comment:

• fabricator
    replied
    I dont swap leads on my 4 year old 200 dx for polarity change,that is the function of the process switch.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post

I believe (double check your manual) that the newer Dynasty 200s don't require swapping for stick welding! The older ones did.
    So - for TIG, don't swap cables. If you think you _must_, you are doing something fundamentally wrong (hence everyone suggesting you read or re-read the manual). We are trying to be helpful not hostile.
    I just read the latest manual dated Jan 2011, and it says to leave electrode on right side as it apparently is swapped internally. Yahoo!!!

Now that is the latest version. But whatever the case it should never be swapped for tig.

Leave a comment:

• con_fuse9
    replied
    What everyone is alluding to is exactly this -
    For DC TIG, you want the electrode to be negative - that means the electrons will jump from the tungsten to the work piece and heat the work piece (mostly).

If you have the polarity reversed, the electrons will go from the work piece to the tungsten and heat (or rather overheat) the tungsten and it will melt away.

So for welding, "EP" - electrode positive, "EN" - electrode negative. And since electrons are negatively charged, and opposites attract, you want the electrode negative (excessive electrons) and the work grounded (less electrons).

On that machine, when you select AC, the machine assumes the work clamp (i.e. the 'ground') is still in the same connector. The machine alters the polarity for you. That's why they call it "AC" or "Alternating Current". If you swap the cables, the balance control will be off.

So, the reason tungsten melts away - 1) too much power. 2) wrong polarity (and thus too much power) or 3) no shielding gas and it oxidizes away.

FYI
    Some have alluded to the fact that when stick welding you might want to swap the connectors. This is because some (most?) stick welding fillers run smoother on DC and more importantly, DC + (the '+' means EP or "Electrode Positive" which is opposite of what you want for TIG).

I believe (double check your manual) that the newer Dynasty 200s don't require swapping for stick welding! The older ones did.
    So - for TIG, don't swap cables. If you think you _must_, you are doing something fundamentally wrong (hence everyone suggesting you read or re-read the manual). We are trying to be helpful not hostile.

If you still think we are all full of it, then by all means head to the repair shop and get another opinion. Sometimes a hands on demonstration is the most efficient way of getting around an impasse.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by kevinwarren240 View Post
    thank you that is how i do it and the dinse connectors still need to be swaped to get the correct output.
    If you have to swap the connectors to get the right output for tig you need to send it in for service. Something is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Do you accidentally have it in stick mode? This will put you in DCEP. If the gas solenoid is kicking on and off properly as you try to weld then you aren't in stick mode.

Edit: or just read the lights on the control panel

Leave a comment:

• Keith_J
    replied
    Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    Take that machine in for service.

You've got a problem.
    Certainly. Although you could check polarity with a volt meter after setting up for Lift Arc (so the HF won't fry the voltmeter). Any cheap Chinese voltmeter, just in case you blow it. Have an assistant look at the display.

Connect at the Dinse connections with fine wire. If polarity is reversed, it will show. This will rule out any other issues.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Take that machine in for service.

You've got a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Autobodytec
    replied
    are you swaping for tig? its an inverter machine you dont swap for tig. i have been welding with my 200 dx for 6 years welds grait tig torch on the right clamp on the left thats what the manual says i weld mostly on ac no probems

Leave a comment:

• kevinwarren240
    replied
    Originally posted by shovelon View Post
    Yes, leave the dinse connector alone. The only reason you would swap the dinse connectors is to stick arc weld.

So from AC, push extreme left button once to get DC and have at it.
    thank you that is how i do it and the dinse connectors still need to be swaped to get the correct output.

Leave a comment:

• kevinwarren240
    replied
    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

Ditto on this.
    All tig is done in this manner (on this machine) and is exactly why the Diversion is set up so newbies cannot do this.
    Read the manual before you WASTE this machine!!!

I have read the manual and have been welding on this type of machine for 2 years just not this exact one, i appreciate all the help though

Leave a comment:

• kevinwarren240
    replied
    Originally posted by Keith_J View Post
    Download the manual, you shouldn't need to swap Dinse connections. And if you are using a WP17 torch, you shouldn't be running over 150 amperes as that is the limit. There is also a torch duty cycle.

Output is limited if connected to 120 VAC. What is the power service connection?

Argon? Running without it will instantly melt+burn the tungsten.

Running straight argon, WP20 torch, Wired in 230 per the manual for single phase power.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Link to Manual

Here is the link to the PDF of the manual.... simply plug in your serial# and download the manual that pertains to your version of Dynasty

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

and a link to the quick reference..... PRINT it out and keep it near the machine!!!!!

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/DynastyQuickRef.pdf

and please take some time to explore the site and read articles and free reference material... lots of good info here!!!
    Last edited by H80N; 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM. Reason: clarity

Leave a comment:

Working...
X