Nuclear welder in Norfolk VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear welder in Norfolk VA

I am a welder with 20 years behind me and just had my physical today for a civilian welder in Norfolf Naval Shipyard. I learned that I have to train to be a nuclear welder once I start work in Sept. What is involved with that process? What type of classes are they going to give me and things of that sort. Also am I more likely to travel with Nuclear Certs? Thanks.

Nuclear

Are you sure you want to weld nuclear

You will probably have to go in where it`s HOT. And when I mean HOT as in radiation.

The codes are similar to high end ASME pipe welding (I think you could buy them from ASME).
    Bobcat 225
    The rest is bright RED "Tig & GMAW"
    Just got a new Hypertherm 30

Comment

A few years ago the company i worked for was trying to get into welding nuclear tanks. There is alot involved. I imagine your going to learn about the procedures and the paper work. Procedures have to be followed to a t, and also the paper work must be filled out accuratly. Such as material temp while welding, heat numbers from your wire along with witness's to verify temps and such. There is alot involved. Like said much like asme pipe code. This is just what i learned from working in company trying to get into it. But best of luck it certainly is high end work
      Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

They (the USN) will teach you "The Navy Way".... a way which has had zero nuclear incidents since the USS Nautilus was launched...
        Bobcat 225NT
        Cutmaster 52
        Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
        Caterpillar TH63
        '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

sorry to say i don't know jack about nuke welding. if my brother was still around he could tell you all about the navy way of nuke welding. he retired out as chief in charge of the sheet metal and pipe shops aboard the USS Enterprise. he had about every cert known to the navy including nuke subs. i have known many welders but that guy was the master in anything to do with fire and metal. sorry to say i didn't learn enough from him because like most brothers if we weren't having a good time together we were fighting like cats and dogs. but like he always said when it has to be done, "there is a right way a wrong way and THE NAVY WAY". like said already, 50+ years of nuke Navy way can't be the wrong way.....good luck.
          miller 225 bobcat
          miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
          mm175, mm211, TA181i
          mm252 w/30a spool gun
          precision tig 225
          hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
          Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
          hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
          victor journeyman & super range
          ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
          steel max and evolution carbide saws
          6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
          case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
          if first you don't succeed
          trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
            They (the USN) will teach you "The Navy Way".... a way which has had zero nuclear incidents since the USS Nautilus was launched...
            This is the right answer. You can throw out any certs that you have as you will be re-taught not only in welding but also in a score of rad-con procedures and everything you do will be monitered. There will be a record kept of all the welds you make and if you have to many rejects, you will move right out the door to non-nuke. I welded nuclear pipe in a shipyard for 30 plus years and I will mention that not all nuclear welding is in a hot zone as some is done on new constuction and requires no radiation work. When you do go into a hot area you will be protected to the highest degree. Good luck and don't let the word nuclear be intimidating as you will be fine.

Wheelchair

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelchair View Post
              This is the right answer. You can throw out any certs that you have as you will be re-taught not only in welding but also in a score of rad-con procedures and everything you do will be monitered.
              Yep.... I went through the whole apprenticeship selection process at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and ended up being #109 out of 108 selected.... Just as soon as you step on base you are made well aware if you see a green and purple bag.... EVERYTHING stops.... and they weren't kidding...
              Bobcat 225NT
              Cutmaster 52
              Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
              Caterpillar TH63
              '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
              X