Municapal Water Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Municapal Water Tank

I am watching them build a large water tank near me. Amazing work.

It is the kind with a large cylindrical concrete tower and a steel tank on top. It looks like they are stick welding and the large plates are 1/2" thick. They weld all day in this 98 degree heat on hot metal. I am impressed.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever worked on water tank. Are they welded inside and out? Are special qualifications required.

JD
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

Should be welded inside and out. Depending if it is preasurized or not it may even be xrayed. As for welding qualifications that depends on if it is a coded tank or whatever the company building it requires. I believe if it is a coded tank you must be certified in whatever process/procedure they are using.
    Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

Worked on them many years ago, welded inside & out, worked off of scaffolds running 3/16" rod. Got paid by the rod, kept rod butts in a bucket & turned them into the time keeper at the end of every shift.
      Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Comment

I watched them build one last summer in my hometown. It was all welded with gas flux core mig inside and out. The had a Lincoln LN25 feeder hanging off a rope and the guy just pulled it around...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

The Boilermakers NTD[national transient division] does this type work. Special breed of folks and the ones that do it regular are very effecient at it.
          Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
          Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
          Rockwell vertical mill
          Beverly Shear B-3
          Beverly Shear JR
          Home-made English wheel
          Milwaukee Porta-band
          " Sawz-all
          Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
          Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
          Powcon 300st

Comment

Originally posted by Old Skool View Post
            Worked on them many years ago, welded inside & out, worked off of scaffolds running 3/16" rod. Got paid by the rod, kept rod butts in a bucket & turned them into the time keeper at the end of every shift.

If you dont mind---How much did they pay per rod?
            MM 211
            Hobart stickmate AC/DC
            Miller Bobcat 225G
            CutMaster 39
            And a few other tools here and there

Comment

Originally posted by Old Skool View Post
              Payed by the rods??? Man, now I've heard it all. This should be against the law.

Comment

Payed by the rods??? Man, now I've heard it all. This should be against the law.

Well to me it seems the fairest way...you weld hard you're paid for it...

yous sleep, smoke, drink, dream you're also paid acordingly...

Comment

could be one of several

codes. AWWA , API , ASME and others. Worked with NTD Tankies for quite a
                  long time off and on. If you belong to the NTD they have a set hourly rate like
                  any Boilerrmaker. The NTD is out of Oklahoma I think.

Most field erected tanks are welded both in and out and most are spot x-ray.
                  NDE depends on design. Big difference between flat bottom tanks and
                  pressure vessels.

old but new

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                    Well to me it seems the fairest way...you weld hard you're paid for it...

yous sleep, smoke, drink, dream you're also paid acordingly...
                    Non monsieur, you sleep, smoke, dream, you're out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by old but new View Post
                      codes. AWWA , API , ASME and others. Worked with NTD Tankies for quite a
                      long time off and on. If you belong to the NTD they have a set hourly rate like
                      any Boilerrmaker. The NTD is out of Oklahoma I think.

Most field erected tanks are welded both in and out and most are spot x-ray.
                      NDE depends on design. Big difference between flat bottom tanks and
                      pressure vessels.

old but new
                      Actually they disolved the actual National Transient Lodge and the construction locals assumed them. They also changed the name from National Transient Lodge to National Transient Division since it's no longer a actual local.Lots of talk about this at the recent Boilermakers Convention.
                      Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                      Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                      Rockwell vertical mill
                      Beverly Shear B-3
                      Beverly Shear JR
                      Home-made English wheel
                      Milwaukee Porta-band
                      " Sawz-all
                      Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                      Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                      Powcon 300st

Comment

Mr Showdog

Thanks for the info. It`s been quite some time since I have seen my old friends.
                        Worked for Reco, Old Dominion. Worked with Capital City and Chicago Bridge
                        on some projects. No business for an old guy and wouldnt even think about
                        jumping scaffold.

Old but New

Comment

Working...
                        X