X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goodhand
    • Jan 2007

Tig welding aluminum going to pot.

For some reason that has been driving me mad, I can no longer run a clean bead on aluminum with my Diversion 165. The results after many attempts is nothing but what looks like chicken poop. I have tried running beads with and without filler on edges that I welded last year, covering the year-old shiny beads with the cp.

The latest bad results look like there is no cover gas, but I've checked all exposed hose connections and fittings for tightness, to no avail. My gauge reads 500 psi of straight Argon - the same bottle that yielded good welds last year.

1. Is there a quick and easy way to test the gas delivery system for leaks from the tank to the gun nozzle?

2. Can gas go bad inside the tank after several months?

Any help will be appreciated.
  • griff01
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
    For some reason that has been driving me mad, I can no longer run a clean bead on aluminum with my Diversion 165. The results after many attempts is nothing but what looks like chicken poop. I have tried running beads with and without filler on edges that I welded last year, covering the year-old shiny beads with the cp.

The latest bad results look like there is no cover gas, but I've checked all exposed hose connections and fittings for tightness, to no avail. My gauge reads 500 psi of straight Argon - the same bottle that yielded good welds last year.

1. Is there a quick and easy way to test the gas delivery system for leaks from the tank to the gun nozzle?

2. Can gas go bad inside the tank after several months?

Any help will be appreciated.

I have had three instances of bad gas after the tanks were at the 300 to 500 psi.

The gas does not "go bad" but when the bottle gets low the contaminants are pulled out. The only way to test at home is to swap bottles.

"Bubbles" or a soap & water spray will reveal anly leaks you may have.

Griff

Comment

• Goodhand
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
      I have had three instances of bad gas after the tanks were at the 300 to 500 psi.

The gas does not "go bad" but when the bottle gets low the contaminants are pulled out. The only way to test at home is to swap bottles.

"Bubbles" or a soap & water spray will reveal anly leaks you may have.

Griff
      Thanks for the reply, Griff. I've been trying to think what the he!! might have happened to cause the problem. Today, I had that EUREKA! moment and considered that, if the tank were contaminated, it might be the reason the quality of weld has been going downhill, as the tank pressure was gradually reduced from approximately 1,500 psi to 500 psi over several weeks.

I theorized that, as the Argon becomes less dense inside the tank (as the pressure drops), and since the Argon may be heavier than whatever it is mixed with, the Argon separates from the contaminant. Your post confirms my suspicion. This has been a great frustration for me, considering that my welding should have been improving, but was getting worse. I will change out the bottles, tomorrow.
      Last edited by Goodhand; 08-01-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• shovelon
        • Aug 2010

Slim chance, but this has happened to me. Loosen the back cap a tad like you were going to clean the tungsten. Pull the front end parts off your torch and look inside to see the gas port in the threads. Make sure your back cap is not cutting off your gas supply.

If ok, look at your collet to see that it is not smashed and also choking off the gas flow in your collet body. I used to have this problem quite often before I found the high performance collets.
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

• Goodhand
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
          Slim chance, but this has happened to me. Loosen the back cap a tad like you were going to clean the tungsten. Pull the front end parts off your torch and look inside to see the gas port in the threads. Make sure your back cap is not cutting off your gas supply.

If ok, look at your collet to see that it is not smashed and also choking off the gas flow in your collet body. I used to have this problem quite often before I found the high performance collets.
          I tried welding after hooking up a new, full bottle of Argon, today. The bead appearance was greatly improved, compared to last night. Then, I disassembled the torch and carefully put it back together after sharpening the lanthanated tungsten. I'm elated to report that the weld is now 100%, and I can almost see my reflection in it. Woohoo!

Thanks for your tip!

Comment

• Hartmann
            • Feb 2011

I would have suggested gas, but these guys are so good they beat me to it!

Comment

Working...
            X