Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas List needed

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have a list or is there a site that will list all the possible gasses/vapours that a wedler will come into contact with when doing welding?

Thanks very much

Don't know if very one is listed. But since there are any number of trademarked shielding gases. Each supplier has their own gases.
    here is air gas list of the ones they sell the first section are generally welding gases.

I'm sure that Praxair and the rest have their own.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

welding fumes???

Am assuming that you are looking for the noxious/dangerous fumes that are given off while welding.... there is not a good answer as there is a huge range because of the great variety of metals welded and the techniques used....

you would think that OSHA could give us an answer...... what I found was several pages of doubletalk.... that really said nothing at all...

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguide...cognition.html

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

yes i was looking for a list of all the possible dangerous fumes than can be in the air when welding

Comment

I will start.

Cadmium
          Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
          3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
          Miller Dynasty200DX
          ThermalArc 400 GTSW
          MillerMatic350P
          MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
          MKCobraMig260
          Lincoln SP-170T
          Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
          Hypertherm 1250
          Hypertherm 800
          PlasmaCam CNC cutter
          Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
          SiberHegner CNC Mill
          2 ea. Bridgeport
          LeBlond 15" Lathe
          Haberle 18" Cold Saw
          Doringer 14" Cold Saw
          6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

I hope this isn't information needed for a nuisance lawsuit that will end up costing the average Joe welder a couple bucks extra every time he goes in for consumables.
            Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
            Miller DialArc 250
            Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
            Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
            Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
            Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
            South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
            Logan 7" shaper
            Ellis 3000 band saw
            Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
            Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
            3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
            Lots of dust bunnies
            Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Process? SAW welding has virtually no gas/vapor emissions other than nuisance dust from granular flux.

SMAW has multiple minerals, the most hazardous would be fluorite along with gases CO, NOx and ozone. Mineral vapors are very slight and good ventilation is more than adequately effective

GTAW is primarily NOx and ozone, unless you are using fluxes. Never clean with chlorinated solvents, these can break down to phosgene (carbonyl chloride, COCl) which hydrolyzes to carbon monoxide and hydrochloric acid (HCl) in the lungs.

GMAW/MIG are similar to GTAW. FCAW is similar to SMAW.

Common to all are base metal derived contaminants like zinc, cadmium, lead, phosphorous. Welding plated fasteners, hardware and the like should be avoided. A quick dip in 1:4 diluted muratic acid will prepare such fasteners and hardware by removing such platings. Just soak until the fizzing stops (hydrogen is generated), pluck out with tongs and rinse well before welding. They will rust fast so protect after welding or use a weldable primer.

Galvanized items, especially hot dipped galvanized items are more difficult to prepare for welding as the layer is much thicker. An 80 grit flap wheel works well, just mask up for the nuisance dust as it still can cause fume fever. And it is proper OH to don PPE for all grinding/sanding operations.

On final note on brazing: Many low temp brazing alloys contain cadmium. I avoid such alloys but if you must, watch temperatures and use fume extraction systems. For the rest, I have a cheap box fan I use to suck away fume and smoke. If I cannot smell an E6013, it works.

Comment

on dipping into Muriatic acid, a quick rinse in 1lb of baking soda to 1 gallon of water will keep it from rusting for quite some time, months......and you do not need to rinse off. Beware of using Brake cleaner on anything getting hot, it will produce Phosgene gas [used in WWI] to kill......also anything that has had dry cleaning liquids on it, same result.....when in doubt, wear a respirator....there are some that will fit nicely under your hood...hope this helps....Brownie
                More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

TIG welding creates ozone, that "thunderstorm/laser printer" smell.

Comment

http://employment.alberta.ca/documen...-PUB_ch032.pdf
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Ed
                      Great flyer!!!!

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

I have also want gas list needed Which you have required. I am finding this list from some previous year. But i couldn't find it.
                        Now, Lets move on forward and post a new gas list.

Comment

spammer??

John009
                          the list that Broc posted is pretty good... and not out of date as far as I can tell.... these things do not change much.....
                          Also..... doubt that many of us here are interested in "getting pregnant fast" ..... are you sure that you are interested in welding???? or are you about to bombard us with some cheesy spam trying to sell us something?????

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                          X