No announcement yet.

Very Disappointed with my Trailblazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless of course you have a better suggestion...
    RetroMotoWelder:

90" S&S "Panhead" (but lowered to 7.5 to 1 compression ratio + with long duration cam for easy starting and long life) running an S&S Super E or B + magneto driving an PTO model Lincoln SA-200 welding head. H-D primary chain reduction drive with modded "tin" inner/outer primaries so you can "clock" the engine position anywhere you like in relation to the generator and modify to run a jackshaft for a cooling air fan ducted to blow from primary side across the engine so the "purty parts" stay visible.

Comment

Thank you for pointing out that I can't weld...but

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
      gee "Sir" and to think all these words of such great wisdom on unrealistic expectations and talk of never being satisfied are emanating from the mouth of a self proclaimed hobby home welder. my question to you "sir". are you truly satisfied with the quality of welding your auto set has bestowed upon you? i expect when you reach the 250 hour mark you should be able to remove the training wheels.
      It doesn't take a production welder to understand that mechanical things need maintenance and care. And when you abuse them, you get what you deserve.
      I guess you will agree I bought a good welder for my abilities and probably can weld better with it than without. But nice try at getting under my skin like I obviously did to you.
      Last edited by Doughboyracer; 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM.
      MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
      Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Griping about quality without having contacted Miller to deal with the problem would be pretty lame... wouldn't it??? let us know if you have or if you plan in talking to Miller support.... and the results... I am with CaptKipp.... something about this is smelling a little bit.....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
          It doesn't take a production welder to understand that mechanical things need maintenance and care. And when you abuse them, you get what you deserve.
          I guess you will agree I bought a good welder for my abilities and probably can weld better with it than without. But nice try at getting under my skin like I obviously did to you.
          you are correct Doughboy. it doesn't take a production welder to understand maintenance is foremost in keeping a machine running properly. but a professional rig welder knows that if maintenance is overlooked his rig is useless and until it is repaired or replaced he/she is out of a job and the money to do either. unlike most production welders that generally have the benefit of drawing an unemployment check to at least feed his family until his boss puts him back to work. most welders you see on rigs run like a top but older ones show major signs of abuse from the elements. this is a hazard of the trade since rarely does that rig welder have the option of being worked inside away from the elements. this is why major brands of engine drives are designed to take the abuse of sitting on the back of a truck under extreme conditions such as rain, sun, and bouncing down bad roads. on the other hand how many welding machines do we/you see sitting in a production fab shop that are fairly new that look like some disrespectful or disgruntled production welder vented his frustrations on it with a pipe or sledge hammer that he doesn't have to spend a penny on to repair. oh and as for getting under my skin, sorry don't flatter your self because you don't have the ability to. just like 2 ex wives though, i'm sure you will come back with another feeble attempt to try and get under my skin. so go for it. get the last word in.
          Last edited by jbmprods; 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM.
          miller 225 bobcat
          miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
          mm175, mm211, TA181i
          mm252 w/30a spool gun
          precision tig 225
          hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
          Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
          hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
          victor journeyman & super range
          ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
          steel max and evolution carbide saws
          6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
          case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
          if first you don't succeed
          trash the b#####d

Comment

The Power of Blue
            '08 F-350
            Vantage 400
            SA-250
            SA-200
            Invertec V350Pro
            Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
            Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
            Track torch

Comment

Originally posted by 1930case View Post
              RetroMotoWelder:

90" S&S "Panhead" (but lowered to 7.5 to 1 compression ratio + with long duration cam for easy starting and long life) running an S&S Super E or B + magneto driving an PTO model Lincoln SA-200 welding head. H-D primary chain reduction drive with modded "tin" inner/outer primaries so you can "clock" the engine position anywhere you like in relation to the generator and modify to run a jackshaft for a cooling air fan ducted to blow from primary side across the engine so the "purty parts" stay visible.
              This sounds good. what about a flathead 45 ci. We're a little off topic here but what the heck.

Comment

Yes I am in the process of talking to the Miller reps up here thank you, no the welder hasn't been abused-- read my earlier post re: how many miles it has spent on the truck and what road conditions were encountered.
                This is not my first BBQ. While not quite as experienced as some of the boys on this site, I have been welding FOR A LIVING for about 13 years now. All of this time-- I repeat ALL OF THIS TIME has been spent welding off of the back of a truck.
                I am and have only ever been a rig welder. After more than a decade into it and several welding machines owned and/or operated, I believe that I am well versed in how to properly care for AND maintain an engine driven welder.
                But thanks anyway for all of the second guessers and doubters input.

As for the rest of the qualified tradesmen that have chimed in:
                Thanks again for your input and I will keep you posted,

WH
                Big Blue 400D
                Trailblazer 302
                Miller S-32 suitcase
                12VS suitcase
                Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
                Victor torches
                Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
                Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
                Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Comment

I wasn't second guess...

...I mearly asked for more information. For a claimed rig welder, you sure do have a thin skin. Tells me more than you think.
                  MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                  Just For Home Projects.

Comment

It really shouldn't matter to much about how many miles it sits on a truck. And anyone who makes a living off the back of there truck is going to take care of thier equipment. Down time cost money. So it's not unrealistic to be dissapointed when it fails. Doesn't matter if it's miller or Lincoln. This is just some Miller fan boys crying About one bad rap. To the OP good luck with your new machine.
                    Last edited by specopswelder; 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

This sounds good. what about a flathead 45 ci. We're a little off topic here but what the heck.
                      Don't know how well it would pull max load, but a 45 on a skid would be a neat, dead simple power source. A LARGE oil cooler to go with the fan would be a good thing.

People used to darn near give away old 45 parts because they were so slow. Too bad I didn't hoard 'em back in The Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                        My last trailblazer had over 650 hours when I left the company it, with not a problem ever. I feel for you, for getting this lemon.
                        When everything is coming loose from an engine, there is a heavy vibration problem, reminds me of and old panhead I use to own.
                        Ah yes! I've had no problems with a welder, but one trip on a '57' FL Panhead, I drove from San Diego to Shiprock, New Mexico. When I arrived at my destination, I had most of one of the exhaust systems under one arm and the kick stand assembly under the other.

I didn't touch that machine for about 4 days!

Comment

Originally posted by 1930case View Post
                          Don't know how well it would pull max load, but a 45 on a skid would be a neat, dead simple power source. A LARGE oil cooler to go with the fan would be a good thing.

People used to darn near give away old 45 parts because they were so slow. Too bad I didn't hoard 'em back in The Day.
                          My 45ci was almost free, it is in a trike servi car frame. I've got the 12 volts conversion kit to put in and clean the valves, "" they are a little rusty"" after 20 years sitting in the back of a shed.

Comment

Originally posted by greenmachine View Post
                            I guess every now and again there has to be one lemon out of the many they have built mine has done 2970 hrs and i had to replace mounts at about 2500 hrs which was about 120000 km of roads in outback queensland where sometimes the dirt is smoother then the bitumen. I am extremely pleased with it it lives in dirty and wet conditions on the back of the ute and keeps on keeping going
                            the old girl let me down after all the nice things i said about her definetly must be female no power no weld nothing turned out just new brush block and away we go again she loves me again hey

Comment

Engine mounts end to degrade if there is oil spilled on them so its a good idea to pressure wash your engine and battery compartments once in a while, as for the bolt that holds them in, yep, I've seen it before on both brands. As there is no lock washer, just a flat plate under the second lower rubber mount, it tends to shake loose, though not so much on the Lincolns as they tend to use blue locktite everywhere. Never the less, its only a $15 fix and 1/2hr labour.

Comment

Another possibility?

What if the engine itself is a lemon?

I'm thinking an unbalanced engine could throw a lot more vibrations at things like mounts and bearings etc. Question is, how do you investigate this?
                                Con Fuse!
                                Miller Dynasty 350
                                Millermatic 350P
                                -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                                Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                                Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Working...
                                X