Very Disappointed with my Trailblazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Disappointed with my Trailblazer

I have a TB302 that just turned over 250hrs. In that time I have had to pull all the side panels twice to fix loose wiring harness.
    Tonight I go to do a "15 minute job" for a friend only to find that all of the engine mounts have come loose-- One is even missing. So tomorrow instead of going to the jobsite first thing, I'm going to be tearing panels off my "new" TB302 AGAIN.

Piss poor boys, piss poor.

I wonder what the new Ranger 305g is like?

Might try one soon......
    Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

I have had good service from a couple ranger 250s with around 1000 hrs ea and a Ranger 305g with around 300 hrs so far....

Comment

I dont think the performance you've gotten is typical. Have you tried talking to Miller about this? If not I would.

Comment

Originally posted by wronghand View Post
        I have a TB302 that just turned over 250hrs. In that time I have had to pull all the side panels twice to fix loose wiring harness.
        Tonight I go to do a "15 minute job" for a friend only to find that all of the engine mounts have come loose-- One is even missing. So tomorrow instead of going to the jobsite first thing, I'm going to be tearing panels off my "new" TB302 AGAIN.

Piss poor boys, piss poor.

I wonder what the new Ranger 305g is like?

Might try one soon......
        It might be helpful to describe the conditions this unit "sees" during it's daily use/abuse... Does it sit in the back of a truck going down the iterstate all day? does it travle country roads, or off road all day? Do you drive it like you stole it? Sounds like it may live in extream conditions if you have had the many problems with "loose" internals. Do you ever check your tools or just wait for them to fail? Pi$$ and moan all you want and call me bad names but I think I may have some valid questions....(fellow wrong hander)
        MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
        Just For Home Projects.

Comment

in my opinion, even if Wronghand carried it in a Conestoga wagon crossing the Oregon trail or dragged it through the Outback behind a team of Kangaroos it shouldn't come apart like that with only 250 hrs of operating time on it since it is a fairly new machine and not a 30 year old machine that has only seen 250 hours use.
          miller 225 bobcat
          miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
          mm175, mm211, TA181i
          mm252 w/30a spool gun
          precision tig 225
          hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
          Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
          hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
          victor journeyman & super range
          ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
          steel max and evolution carbide saws
          6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
          case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
          if first you don't succeed
          trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
            in my opinion, even if Wronghand carried it in a Conestoga wagon crossing the Oregon trail or dragged it through the Outback behind a team of Kangaroos it shouldn't come apart like that with only 250 hrs of operating time on it since it is a fairly new machine and not a 30 year old machine that has only seen 250 hours use.
            I guess every now and again there has to be one lemon out of the many they have built mine has done 2970 hrs and i had to replace mounts at about 2500 hrs which was about 120000 km of roads in outback queensland where sometimes the dirt is smoother then the bitumen. I am extremely pleased with it it lives in dirty and wet conditions on the back of the ute and keeps on keeping going

Comment

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. It's always informative to get other tradesmen's opinions-- good and bad.

A little more info on the welder:

It has seen "mostly" pavement in its career. In 100,000 miles on the truck, probly 25,000 has been gold mining roads. A fresh oil change (as per manufacturers advice) at 100 hrs and will get another one this weekend (now at 260 hrs). I like to do them every 250 and the easiest way to do that is to line up on the 250/500 hr mark on the hobbs meter. I can swear that it has only gouged for 25hrs it's whole life. All in all it has burned more 1/8" 7018 than anything else.

Bottom line is that it hasn't been used very hard (in my humble opinion of course). The problem is that I have talked to other local guys that seem to be having the same types of problems.

So the new Ranger 305g showed up today along with 200 feet of 1/0 cable and an ESAB torch kit. It's going on a second truck and I will keep everyone posted on how it works out for me.

The big deciding factor was actually the duty cycle for the new machines.
              The Ranger is rated for 305 amps at 100% whereas the TB302 is rated at 280. The generator power is less with the Ranger at 9500 watts continuous, but I bought it to weld with-- not power my house.

Thanks again for all the replies,

WH
              Big Blue 400D
              Trailblazer 302
              Miller S-32 suitcase
              12VS suitcase
              Victor torches
              Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375

Comment

My last trailblazer had over 650 hours when I left the company it, with not a problem ever. I feel for you, for getting this lemon.
                When everything is coming loose from an engine, there is a heavy vibration problem, reminds me of and old panhead I use to own.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                  My last trailblazer had over 650 hours when I left the company it, with not a problem ever. I feel for you, for getting this lemon.
                  When everything is coming loose from an engine, there is a heavy vibration problem, reminds me of and old panhead I use to own.
                  Wow a panhead. You must be hardcore! I bet you still carry a set of 5" needle nose vise grips in your pocket. The only tool you needed to work on a panhead
                  Big Blue 400D
                  Trailblazer 302
                  Miller S-32 suitcase
                  12VS suitcase
                  Victor torches
                  Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375

Comment

I might have to dig them out for my old 45ci i'm putting back on the road.

Comment

Left unanswered: Did you ever contact Miller about the problems you were having? If not why? I would have given them an opportunity to make it right but then thats just me. In the past, w/ problems considerably more trivial than yours, they've been well more than willing to help and/or make it right.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
                        Then you sir have unrealistic expectations. 250 hours could mean 1,000,000 miles on the Oregon Trail for all we know. The hours on the timer mean nothing about the use/abuse of the machine. With thinking like that you will, and probably are, never satisfied.
                        MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                        Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Tb 302

I have 2 of them. Fixing to get a 3rd. The TB Airpac. EVERY time I asked for help from MILLER I got it!! I am about to call BS on this post. I'm never very negative but this doesn't seem like something Miller would pass up. How old is this machine? I know Miller doesn't like lemon in it's drinks. I gotta say "Call them!" first. I KNOW they will work on the issue. PERIOD.
                          Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Comment

Haha nice. I'm lookin at scratch building a heritage softail in the next year or so. My cousin (also a welder) has some pretty nice plans that he sent me.. Looking at maybe going with the 1200 cc S&S to stuff into it.

Unless of course you have a better suggestion...
                            Big Blue 400D
                            Trailblazer 302
                            Miller S-32 suitcase
                            12VS suitcase
                            Victor torches
                            Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                              Then you sir have unrealistic expectations. 250 hours could mean 1,000,000 miles on the Oregon Trail for all we know. The hours on the timer mean nothing about the use/abuse of the machine. With thinking like that you will, and probably are, never satisfied.
                              gee "Sir" and to think all these words of such great wisdom on unrealistic expectations and talk of never being satisfied are emanating from the mouth of a self proclaimed hobby home welder. my question to you "sir". are you truly satisfied with the quality of welding your auto set has bestowed upon you? i expect when you reach the 250 hour mark you should be able to remove the training wheels.
                              miller 225 bobcat
                              miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
                              mm175, mm211, TA181i
                              mm252 w/30a spool gun
                              precision tig 225
                              hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
                              Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
                              hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
                              victor journeyman & super range
                              ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
                              steel max and evolution carbide saws
                              6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
                              case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
                              if first you don't succeed
                              trash the b#####d

Comment

Working...
                              X