Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning GE Silicone II Caulk not curing!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning GE Silicone II Caulk not curing!!!!!

Insulated and sealed a cable a few days ago (or at least I thought that I did)
    I had opened a brand new tube of clear GE Silicone II... this stuff is not curing.... not even tacky... found out after the fact that the new "Environmentally friendly" formulation is not likely to cure if it is past its use by date.. now I have a huge mess to clean up and then need to repot the cable junction...

"THANK YOU GE!!!!!!"

here are some links

http://fixithouse.blogspot.com/2009/...k-warning.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4065351AAsX1VW

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41675

This is a non acetic acid formula with "BioSeal"

here is the tube........ the expiration date is embossed on the tube end seal where the hanger is... and very difficult to see...

Keep in mind that this was a brand new tube bought and opened just for this job....
    Attached Files

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

thanks for the warning
    i've probably got two or three unopened tubes
    in the basement that are well past their use-by dates....

frank

Comment

This came as a totalshock to me.... in the past the failure mode had been for it to harden in the tube.... had I any inkling I would have laid down a test bead the night before... you might try that with yours before chucking them...... I will change brands to a variety that still uses the old acetic acid formula....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 200

Comment

eco friendly crap usually isn't worth the package it comes in. compound that with calif. laws and regs and we're lucky we can buy a beer anymore. it's easy to get all the medical dope you can smoke though. i went to both lws's in town to see about getting a rebuild kit for a victor oxy reg and was told they can't sell them in Ca anymore due to the hazards resulting from untrained folks like us rebuilding our own regs and the state wants to protect us from us. can't buy Rolaids for our stomachs anymore ether because the FDA decided they were harmful to us.
        miller 225 bobcat
        miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
        mm175, mm211, TA181i
        mm252 w/30a spool gun
        precision tig 225
        hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
        Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
        hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
        victor journeyman & super range
        ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
        steel max and evolution carbide saws
        6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
        case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
        if first you don't succeed
        trash the b#####d

Comment

Life...... None of us are gettin' out alive, even the guys making the safety laws.

Comment

I almost never use silicon caulk.... I use polyurethane caulk almost exclusively (in certain situations butyl...) it is better in every way....
            Bobcat 225NT
            Cutmaster 52
            Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
            Caterpillar TH63
            '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

What brand polyurethane you like?

I use 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant since if I'm going to "caulk" something I might as well glue it in place for life at the same time.

Comment

I love 5200....... but for electrical I have preferred some form of RTV Silicone Rubber... for dielectric strength....... guess I will find a new brand.. though...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

I put a little to hold a battery charger meter cover on over a week ago, still hasn't cured. I see I'm not the only one.....

Comment

I've always used the Dow Chemical branded RTV

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
                    MM210
                    MM Vintage
                    Lincoln AC225
                    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
                    Cutmaster 81
                    IR 2475N7.5FP
                    Evolution Rage3
                    Jancy USA101
                    9" South Bend
                    AEAD-200LE

Comment

Thanks for the warning. I haven't seen this stuff for sale yet, but I'll make sure to avoid it if I do.

Now, I've had polyurethane products take forever to cure... Once I used some polyurethane caulk that took a good two weeks to dry, and one of the times I used polyurethane varnish on a table it took a good month before I could put things on it... So polyurethane might not be the sure cure for curing.

--Bushytails

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
                        eco friendly crap usually isn't worth the package it comes in. compound that with calif. laws and regs and we're lucky we can buy a beer anymore. it's easy to get all the medical dope you can smoke though. i went to both lws's in town to see about getting a rebuild kit for a victor oxy reg and was told they can't sell them in Ca anymore due to the hazards resulting from untrained folks like us rebuilding our own regs and the state wants to protect us from us. can't buy Rolaids for our stomachs anymore ether because the FDA decided they were harmful to us.
                        Gotta love California...I guess that's why you folks pay 10% of your income in state tax alone and the state is still bankrupt!

Comment

I'd have to see the actual legal statute to believe that a LWS is forbidden from selling regulator rebuild kits. Sounds like some boolsh1te excuse from above to drum up new regulator sales.

Of course you can just buy kits online without the hassle of driving to a LWS.

for electrical I have preferred some form of RTV Silicone Rubber... for dielectric strength
                          You could always TEST some 5200, but 3M has quite the selection!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ctronics/Home/

Comment

Working...
                          X