Miller Xtreme 12V Suitcase.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Xtreme 12V Suitcase.

I recently bought a Miller Trailblazer 302, It came ith a miller Xtreme 12V Suitcase welder. I have used Miller MIG Welders a hundred times before. But I cant seem to get it to turn on. Its set up to run Flux-Core. Now on the Trailblazer theres 3 ports to plug your leads into, Work, Stick/TIG, and Wire. Now correct me if Im wrong, I plugged the ground lead into the Work port. And Plugged the Suitcase welder into the Wire port. I press the little on switch on the Suitcase and it doesnt turn on. I dont know what Im doing wrong? The gentleman I purchased the Trailblazer and Suitcase Welder kept his machines amazingly clean, and well maintained. And gauranteed me they work. So it has to be me. Can anyone walk me through this? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Don.

Vs??????

if this is a vs it would be voltage sensing so would plug into the CC port and have a separate sensing lead that clamps to work... here is the man

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1500_19ac_mil.pdf

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

No matter which terminal you connect the feeder to. You mush turn on the welder output. It will weld best in the wire (CV) setting. Look on the front panel of the welder and get the out put turned on all the time. You should get the operators manual from this site. enter the serial number to get the correct one. Serial numbers that start with L can use the first box. Other serial numbers you have to go a couple steps down and select the model then add the serial number.
      Glenn 300 amp stick
      Millermatic 35
      L-tec plasma

Comment

There's two CV setting for wirefeed on the process selection dial. Make sure your machine is set to Wire Voltage sensing (The top left choice, I believe on the machine it will have the orange border), that way the machines contactor will be closed and the circut will be live, in turn powering the suitcase feeder.
        Attached Files
        Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 211
        4' Box and Pan Break
        IR compressor

Comment

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it, A few more questions, Should I switch polarity for flux core, or Plug Suitcase lead into the ground, and ground into the wire port? Also when I switch the Trailblazer on CV Wire, Is that the remote setting because I will be controling the wire speed and voltage from the suitcase welder itself correct? Please bear with me, Ive never used a Suitcase welder before.

Comment

hello Don , what the others said is correct, and....

You will get the best results using the CV setting , in the wire sensing feeder setting as descibed on the upper left side of the selections. You can hook up the cables then use the polarity switch on the TB. Depending on exactly what wire you want to run will determine the polarity of choice, read the parameter sheets for the wire. Most companies have the info on the net or with the product. You may find the displays wont power up all the time instantly, you have to have a good clean connection for the sensing lead off the suitcase. I have had to cycle the selector switch on and of sometimes to get it to power the displays on the suitcase, again this is where clean connections are essential. hope this bit of advice is useful to you.
            I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

Why don't you download the owners manuals for both the feeder and power source, and READ THEM??????? Available on this site, just takes a couple mouse clicks.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

JSFAB
                included link to the feeder manual already in an earlier post......

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I saw that, H80N. Obviously, the op hasn't bothered looking at it yet, he thinks we should read it then tell him what the manual says. I'm thinking he also has no clue how to set the power unit either, which is why I suggested both manuals.
                  Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

I have the actual paper book owners manual, It doesnt give a well descripted diagram, it just says plug into TB 302, and switch on. Now before I posted this thread, I fully spent time and read the owners manual, I never had the luxary of using a machine like this before. So I figured I'd ask guys with experience, When I dont know something I ask. Is this a problem? A young guy is asking for advice?

Comment

Does your trailblazer have a AC/DC polarity switch?
                      If not. to weld with flux core wire. Connect your feeder to the negative terminal and your work lead to the positive CV terminal. Turn the mode switch to CV VS.
                      Welder out put should turn on and feeder should operate.
                      In most cases any wire that uses gas is welded electrode positive.
                      Flux core wire is electrode negative.
                      unless the feeder has a 14 pin plug which makes it a 12RC model.
                      You can only control the voltage at the welder.
                      The RC model uses both power from the 14 pin plug and the weld voltage.
                      Must have 24vac on the 14 pin plug to power the electronics and remotely turn the welder output on, It can remotely control the welder output. The wire feed motor on both models pulls it's power from across the arc. They both have work sense leads and clamps. the VS model does not have remote voltage control.
                      So which feeder do you really have.? post the serial number and we can figure it out.
                      Last edited by ccawgc; 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM.
                      Glenn 300 amp stick
                      Millermatic 35
                      L-tec plasma

Comment

Yes, my Trailblazer 302 has the polarity switch. My suitcase is the 12VS. I tried again today to hook it up, I plugged the suitcase into the wire slot and positive slot, and nothing, now the suitcase on the inside I switched to CV, and tried to turn it on, nothing. Also I put the trailblazer on "Wire CV" and still nothing, I don't think its the Trailblazer because when I stick weld it runs beautifull.

Comment

I'm looking at the owners manual right now, it has a serial number on the owners manual, well there's 2, OM-1500-19. / 219 185L

Comment

Originally posted by DieselDon16 View Post
                            I'm looking at the owners manual right now, it has a serial number on the owners manual, well there's 2, OM-1500-19. / 219 185L
                            Have you checked the circuit breaker inside the feeder or where the vs lead goes in there is a black breakaway and if it comes off the lead can be pulled of the plug inside and you have to pull front off and plug it back on you could hook it up to stick and set it to cc to see if it is the feeder or process switch good luck very dear to fix internally for us here in oz anyway

Comment

I have a TB302 and 12VS wirefeeder. This is how its hooked up...

Polarity is DCEP (this may differ depending on your wire)
                              Process is CV voltage sensing
                              Feeder is attached to the 'wire' lead on the welder
                              Work from the welder is attached to the piece being welded
                              The feeder work lead (I think the book calls it volt sense) is attached to the piece being welded. It must have a good electrical connection otherwise the feeder will not work. Obviously the power up switch on the feeder needs to be in the 'on' position.

If that doesnt work Id check *all* the switch settings on the feeder and make sure they're factory. This will give base line from which to start. The feeder manual will show you where all the switch are and their factory settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X