Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moisture in low hy rods. No problems,right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornerstone
    replied
    Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
    I put all of the bigger lights back on when I switched the SA250 out with the Vantage. So I've been back up to par since about November. I really only used them a few times this winter but, I really could of used the rope lights inside the tool boxes.

I'll get her all fixed up before winter.

Have you signed up in any parades yet this year? LOL
    As a matter of fact, The Silly Summer parade last Friday, but as the name implies, I just couldn't enter The Big V. But one day when I start smoking big cigars I'll sign up with Shriners and drive the rig with the go-karts.http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ies/wink.png?2

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied
    Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
    Might not see that glow until 10:30pm here Tim, but I am looking forward to that day the lights are on The Big V.
    I put all of the bigger lights back on when I switched the SA250 out with the Vantage. So I've been back up to par since about November. I really only used them a few times this winter but, I really could of used the rope lights inside the tool boxes.

I'll get her all fixed up before winter.

Have you signed up in any parades yet this year? LOL

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied
    Originally posted by sae350 View Post
    Yeah, it only took you three days of research to try and make yourself look smart. Your just like all the weld inspectors out there that pretend to know how to weld just because they know big words I hope you have a good forth, and try not to get into a fight with any real welders. You will get your as$ kicked
    It was 4 days of research!!! And I don't see to many "real welders" unless I walk past a large mirror.

Leave a comment:

• sae350
    replied
    What's up fellas? Its your good looking, vantage (w/ lights) running buddy.

Hydrogen cracking is the reason why cellulose electrodes use has been criticized on PL work. (Well, that combined with the newer X80 and higher pipe.)

Most 7018 rods end in H4R. If I remember right, it means that the rod can be out of the oven for 4 hours and not pick up more than 4 ml of hydrogen. H8R would be 8 ml.
    I think it is 4 hours at "X" relative humidity but, I have forgotten what it was. I think it was 4ml of hydrogen per so many pounds of rod as well. I'll look it up if I have time.

Every one have a good weekend........except you SAE 350
    Tim
    Yeah, it only took you three days of research to try and make yourself look smart. Your just like all the weld inspectors out there that pretend to know how to weld just because they know big words I hope you have a good forth, and try not to get into a fight with any real welders. You will get your as$ kicked

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied
    No, I haven't bought the rope lights yet, its daylight from 6am to 9:30pm so I figured I'd wait a few more months.

I'll be sure and send some pic's when I do tho. I'll be the glow to your south east Ha Ha
    Might not see that glow until 10:30pm here Tim, but I am looking forward to that day the lights are on The Big V.

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied
    No, I haven't bought the rope lights yet, its daylight from 6am to 9:30pm so I figured I'd wait a few more months.

I'll be sure and send some pic's when I do tho. I'll be the glow to your south east Ha Ha
    Last edited by Rig Hand; 07-02-2011, 09:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied

Hydrogen cracking is the reason why cellulose electrodes use has been criticized on PL work. (Well, that combined with the newer X80 and higher pipe.)

Most 7018 rods end in H4R. If I remember right, it means that the rod can be out of the oven for 4 hours and not pick up more than 4 ml of hydrogen. H8R would be 8 ml.
    I think it is 4 hours at "X" relative humidity but, I have forgotten what it was. I think it was 4ml of hydrogen per so many pounds of rod as well. I'll look it up if I have time.

Tim
    Welll look at you Tim, you sound pretty smart, but thats because you know a good machine when you see one in a parade. Got lights yet? Bob.

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied
    Originally posted by sticky View Post
    I was testing when i ran out of rods puting on the cap, the guy gave me some rods that someone else had just used " cold" mabe they had sweaty hands. i saw the porosity as i was welding.. tried to grind out as much as i could. outa time an last pass. i noticed when i got them they wernt warm to the touch. I will not ever let that happen again on a test. cost me a job.
    Costly lesson.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I was testing when i ran out of rods puting on the cap, the guy gave me some rods that someone else had just used " cold" mabe they had sweaty hands. i saw the porosity as i was welding.. tried to grind out as much as i could. outa time an last pass. i noticed when i got them they wernt warm to the touch. I will not ever let that happen again on a test. cost me a job.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
    I even checked the Lincoln site on the "MR" thing and your right. Wonder when the Power of Blue will begin making rods of this calibre?
    Blue doesn't make rods but its sister does over at McKay

DESCRIPTION:
    McKay’s 7018 XLM (Extra Low Moisture) is a high deposition
    http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/da...ts/7018XLM.pdf

The McKay rods are the best that i have ever run in my 35 years of burning LH.

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied
    Originally posted by sae350 View Post
    Most of lincolns excalibur 7018 says "mr" on the can. Thats moisture resistant. Now whether that means you can leave it outside it a rain storm I dont know, but for general use I think it has some lead room. But for anything thats gonna be shot, I would bake it. Just my two cents.
    I even checked the Lincoln site on the "MR" thing and your right. Wonder when the Power of Blue will begin making rods of this calibre?

Leave a comment:

• sae350
    replied
    Originally posted by DetroitRob View Post
    I try to run ExcaliburMR as often as possible. Since most of what I do is non critical work, I buy in 10lb tubes and once open store in a blue rod tube, and I can tell a big difference in starting of the rods compared to straight Excalibur. The only problem Ive had is the last 2 cans of 3/32 the flux has been chipping off the end of the rod when I try to start a fresh one, that can get a bit frustrating....
    When Im testing out, if I break an arc I always start with a fresh rod. It does suck, but do what you must to make a good weld.
    Last edited by sae350; 07-01-2011, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DetroitRob
    replied
    I try to run ExcaliburMR as often as possible. Since most of what I do is non critical work, I buy in 10lb tubes and once open store in a blue rod tube, and I can tell a big difference in starting of the rods compared to straight Excalibur. The only problem Ive had is the last 2 cans of 3/32 the flux has been chipping off the end of the rod when I try to start a fresh one, that can get a bit frustrating....

Leave a comment:

• sae350
    replied
    Most of lincolns excalibur 7018 says "mr" on the can. Thats moisture resistant. Now whether that means you can leave it outside it a rain storm I dont know, but for general use I think it has some lead room. But for anything thats gonna be shot, I would bake it. Just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X