The price increase has arrived !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price increase has arrived !

While I was picking up some back order items at my Local Airgas I was informed that the price increase for acetylene has arrived they have double approximately. For all sizes and they are going to have a limited number of assorted sized cylinders available.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

I am convinced that this increase is just Airgas. My local dist says no increase is comming and the prices have been the since last fall. I talked to a few other dealers and they said the same thing. But the Airgas guy said increase and at least 2 years until its normal again. One guy said his gas comes from Europe so the explosion in Ky didn't hurt his supply. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

The next day of the explosion, I got an email from my supplier that said we don't get our gas from Ky, and our price will remain unchanged and still have large quantities in stock.

Comment

Oh yeah, standard Airgas tactic.

Time to review your contracts.
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

PTsideshow,

I suspect you are being taken advantage of.

Last week, I swapped out my 330 cu ft argon tank for $36 and just asked about the acetylene issue and was told "no problem - no increase from us".

Very interesting as I don't buy acetylene from them although I have been an argon customer for 30 years.
          Told my counter guy that I switched to MAPP about 25 years ago as I was getting clobbered with the demurrage fees since I didn't use enough to swap out a tank within the 30 day period. Then I had to switch to propane when MAPP was discontinued.

He told me, "If you want to switch to acetylene from propane, just say the word and I'll set you up with none of that baloney."

Plus he said, we are back to April pricing on acetylene.

Wow - talk about customer service!
          Time to turn back the clock and go back to acetylene.

I suspect that those distributors who try to take advantage of the "shortage" will be like the gas station crooks. We will go elsewhere.

My supplier is in NJ about 4 miles east of center city Philly.

http://superiorweld.com/
          Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post
            PTsideshow,

I suspect you are being taken advantage of.

http://superiorweld.com/
            I wasn't buying any acetylene
            While I was picking up some back order items at my Local Airgas I was informed that the price increase for acetylene has arrived
            As there was a notice on the counter about the price increase, and they mentioned it in conversation.
            They can only do what the corporate office hands down, It seems to vary as to the amount of the new price and where you live and where and how the acetylene is generated.
            In the SE Michigan area, it is generated by the use of calcium carbide.

Comment

Speaking of different gases, is anyone using propylene (sp)? I was wondering how it is.

Comment

That explains why it took an $80 bill to fill a #4 bottle of acetylene and an 80 bottle of oxygen 3 weeks ago. If only I'd heard of it then, I'd have visited Pacific 2 blocks away.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Metals View Post
                  Speaking of different gases, is anyone using propylene (sp)? I was wondering how it is.
                  Used propylene 12 years ago in the railcar business. They had to buy all different tips back then to burn it. Haven't used or seen it since 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Metals View Post
                    Here is Victors new section on other fuel gases Downloadable PDF's Covers most of what one needs to know.
                    I bought a tip for propane since I had a regulator for propane/acetylene(marked as a fuel gas regulator) and some new T grade hose I set up a second cutting station on an extra cart.

Propane tip on Rego KX-6 torch body

Two piece propane tip

Business end of tip

Comment

Funny how they are increasing their prices and blaming the illusion of a shortage.
                      Airgas makes their own acetylene.
                      What really sucks is that Airgas is buying up ALL the local companies in my state.
                      Measure twice, cut ONCE............

MillerMatic 211
                      MillerMatic 251
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                      ESAB O/A Equipment

Comment

Airgas and Praxair are buying up all the small timers they can every where.

Since they do use calcium carbide in their production of acetylene, and the largest producer of calcium carbide in the US was take out of production loop.

Since welding use of acetylene only makes up about 20% of the end use of acetylene. And plastics and chemical formulations use the rest.

blaming the illusion of a shortage
                        If they don't have the raw material to make it, then there will be a shortage.

And the can charge what the want or what the customers are willing to pay for it.

There are plenty of choices of alternate fuels for cutting and heating other than acetylene.!

Comment

Propane works great and cutting tips are cheap so there's no reason not to grab a few.

You can slosh propane jugs (I use the BBQ variety) around and not have to wait for it to settle like acetylene. A BBQ jug is lighter and easier to carry than an acetylene cylinder.

I've read (in this forum) that propylene works even better, but I haven't had an excuse to try it yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X