What features would you like to see on the 252

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What features would you like to see on the 252

Wondering if anyone else has a wish list for Miller to include or have as options on the 252. I would love a 110 plug for my grinders & I think the cable rack should be standard equipment. Also wondering if autoset wil be an option in the future.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Cable rack would be nice.

120v doesn't bother me since I have a cord run out with a splitter for those tools.

Doubt you'll see AS on a MM252 and the Mrs. doesn't use the MM252 so no need for AS anyway
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I think a 110v outlet should be on every welder. I think it would be easy enough to add one. Most of the bigger migs have them to plug the wire feeders into. I don't need the autoset either...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

it would be nice if the 110v outlet was constant hot also instead of just when the welder is turned on.
        miller 225 bobcat
        miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
        mm175, mm211, TA181i
        mm252 w/30a spool gun
        precision tig 225
        hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
        Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
        hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
        victor journeyman & super range
        ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
        steel max and evolution carbide saws
        6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
        case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
        if first you don't succeed
        trash the b#####d

Comment

I don't need an outlet on it, just adds to the complexity and the cost.

Comment

Just going to say, "Wonder if some of these guys ever hear of an extension cord?"

Understand the need for 120v plug on a tig welder which is used to power the cooler. But on most migs (MM 252 included), I see little use.

Additionally, it's not as cheap/easy an addition as some may think. The MM 252 comes with a 6-50P installed. That's two hots and a ground. No neutral in the plug for easy conversion to 120v

Yeah, I've got a 120v receptacle on my XMT304, but it was about a $300 option. And, my wirefeeder does NOT plug into the 120v outlet.

I'm betting if a 120v outlet was offered as an option on the MM 252, dang few would order it.

I've got a 4 plug box mounted on my table. Box is fed with a 10/3 (30A) cord. Plugs into a 30A receptacle (standard 30A/120V marine receptacle). Provides great power for most any 120v tool. More convenient than on the welder and a heck of a lot cheaper than an optional plug on the MM 252.
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

Lincolns have a plug

The Lincoln 215/216 and 255 powermigs have a standard 120 volt outlet on the back.

Comment

Pulse would be nice, eh....?
                Measure twice, cut ONCE............

MillerMatic 211
                MillerMatic 251
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                ESAB O/A Equipment

Comment

I've got a 4 plug box mounted on my table. Box is fed with a 10/3 (30A) cord. Plugs into a 30A receptacle (standard 30A/120V marine receptacle). Provides great power for most any 120v tool. More convenient than on the welder and a heck of a lot cheaper than an optional plug on the MM 252.
                  Just out of curiosity why the 30A,,,?? I don't know what the exact risk is numerically but lots of small hand tools are designed to be plugged to 20A, stuff that comes with factory 14 cord probably ok, chop saw or skill saw type things. Drills and light grinders I would tend to feel better with lighter ocpd, I have heavier circuits available within reach so I protect my bench at 15A and gfci, never had a grinder trip it. Maybe you have special need for heavy breaker?

Comment

Sberry,

The 4 outlet box I refer to has 4 20A receptacles. Box is fed by a 10ga SO cord plugged into a 30A receptacle. The cord is 50' and reaches anywhere in the shop. Extra cord is stored under the table.

The 30A feed allows me to plug in a couple of quartz light bars and still plug in a 7" grinder or a large 1/2" drill, etc, etc. During the winter months I'll also plug in a ceramic heater to the box.

What it's doing is providing 30A of 120v power where I use it the most (at the table). Lot easier than having extension cords all over the shop.

I've always been one who believed in using heavier gauge extension cords than the minimum required. I don't think I've even got an extension cord in the shop that's less than 12ga wire. As a kid, we burned up a couple older skil saws by running them on too small a gauge wire over too long a distance.

I have "a lot" of 25' & 50' 10ga extension cords. These were standard shore power cords for the smaller boats that use 30A/120v power. Under heavy loads (water heaters and air conditioning) owners frequently burn up the plugs (largely from corrosion on the contacts) and throw the cords away rather than simply buying new plugs and installing them themselves.
                    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                    Hobart HH187
                    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                    More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by deafman View Post
                      The Lincoln 215/216 and 255 powermigs have a standard 120 volt outlet on the back.
                      deafman;
                      I own a 2010 Lincoln Power Mig 216 - No , 120v. receptical on it anywhere !
                      Would be nice , but none to be found.

.........Norm
                      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I have "a lot" of 25' & 50' 10ga extension cords. These were standard shore power cords for the smaller boats that use 30A/120v power.
                        I am sure boats are wired like travel trailers, they have 30A service but it is fed to a panel with separate over current protection for the branch circuits limiting them to 20A. SQD makes a little 2 space panel just for this application. You can make it even better with a 4 wire cord.
                        Its kind of a common statement that the breaker is there to protect the building wire,, yes true but it does have some part in protecting the plugged in device, not so much for thermal but short circuit and the internal wiring if its not equipped with fuses is rated up to 20A for shorts, fixture wires etc. Some light fixtures are designed to go to circuits to 30 but they are usually hard wired and not plug and cord.

Comment

Working...
                        X