Dynasty 200Dx hard arc starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200Dx hard arc starting

I've got a 200dx that is probably 6-8 years old and I've noticed that its tough to start on AC or DC. I dont weld every day, just here and there. Are there any issues with the older 200dx models where they have a start problem? On DC, it could take 3-5 times before it starts the arc. I'll scratch the tungsten against the work piece and sometimes that helps.

Are you using a foot or hand pedal?

There is a lift start function, scratch starting is really not an option with this machine

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Are you using a foot or hand pedal?

There is a lift start function, scratch starting is really not an option with this machine
      Foot pedal right now, have a push button.... both do the same thing. The unit did not do this when it was brand new. its set to HF impulse, not lift start.

Comment

Let suggest that you open the case and clean and reseat the main wires going to the weld terminals. I had to do that on my XMT350.
        Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
        22A Feeder
        MM175
        Dynasty 200DX
        TB302
        12vs Extreme
        Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
        20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
        16" x 60" engine lathe
        65 Ton edwards iron worker
        3/16' x 24" power slip roll
        16' power feed mitering bandsaw
        and other fun toys

Comment

phil99,

Do a search of KB Fabrications older posts.

Kevin did a full writeup of how to reset your starting parameters to eliminate the start problems on the pre blue lightning Dynasty 200's.

If that doesn't work, you may try PM'ing him. He provided the best writeup of a solution I have seen.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

you can try to set the start polarity to electrode positive. see your operators manual on how to open the hidden menu.
            But first make sure the weld terminals are not shorted to the case.
            Last resort we can add a wrap to the HF coupling transformer primary.
            If you need to go that far ask and PM your e-mail to me. I will scan and send you the instructions from miller.
            Glenn 300 amp stick
            Millermatic 35
            L-tec plasma

Comment

Found the problem.....

I called Miller service yesterday and they sent me a PDF that says you need to add one winding to the high frequency core. I pulled the case off, the high frequency ferrite core is right behind the front panel in a tube with a wire wrapped around it 3.5 times. I pulled the core out and its broke in half. I've been friends/went to school with Bob and Boz over at BR Welding supplies in White plains, called them up and got a new high frequency core coming. The service department said that is definitely the problem for the hard starting.

I pulled the points and they are pitted and black from edge to edge. I cleaned the up with a piece of emory cloth and regapped them at .012 and reinstalled.

Once I get the high frequency starting problem 100% licked, the cleaning action seems to be acting funny on AC so I'll address that shortly.

Thanks for the advice, I plan on going through the machine and checking the basics, hoses, wires, terminals.

Comment

Read post # 8 there are no points in a dynasty 200dx

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-Start-thread&

R

Comment

Phil,

I'd be "very interested" in hearing how you pulled the points, cleaned them, and regapped them to .012.

You sure we're not talking about a Syncrowave 200 here?
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer
                    Whats confusing me here, other than gapping a set of non adjustable points is even if the HF wasn't working, lift start is available, sooooo, why scratch start.
                    You misunderstand what he is saying, he isn't scratch starting.
                    Guys at work have had situations with our Dynasty 300's and a tungsten that needs attention, it sometimes doesn't want to start the arc right away.
                    If they touch the tungsten to the material, lift the tungsten off the material and THEN operate the pedal/ finger control and the arc will start easily. If you don't physically touch the material the arc is difficult to start. The PROPER solution (in this case) is to re-sharpen the tungsten... but some guys are lazy.
                    at home:
                    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                    2008 Suitcase 12RC
                    Spoolmatic 30A
                    WC-24
                    2009 Dynasty 200DX
                    2000 XMT 304
                    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                    Sold:MM130XP
                    Sold:MM 251
                    Sold:CST 280

at work:
                    Invision 350MP
                    Dynasty 350
                    Millermatic 350P
                    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

What is the final outcome to the saga of the "Point adjustment in a dynasty 200dx"?

Has it now become a different plan let us know!

R

Comment

Maybe points it he wrong word but behind the cover on the right side of the unit is 2 pieces that have a gap adjustment. It is right above the HF coil and about an inch back. They are round and should be gapped .010 to .016. Mine were black, had some mild pitting. The techs at Miller service told me to hit them with some emory paper until the pitting and black stuff was gone and reinstall at .010 gap.
                        Last edited by phil99vette; 06-13-2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c wagner View Post
                          You misunderstand what he is saying, he isn't scratch starting.
                          Guys at work have had situations with our Dynasty 300's and a tungsten that needs attention, it sometimes doesn't want to start the arc right away.
                          If they touch the tungsten to the material, lift the tungsten off the material and THEN operate the pedal/ finger control and the arc will start easily. If you don't physically touch the material the arc is difficult to start. The PROPER solution (in this case) is to re-sharpen the tungsten... but some guys are lazy.
                          This is the procedure I use on my Dynasty 200, sometimes the HF wont come on right away, I let off the pedal touch the tungsten to the work, lift the tungsten depress the pedal again and it starts normally.
                          Most of the time it works fine but there are times it doesnt, mine is the newer model with the Blue Lightining HF.
                          mike sr

Comment

Interesting, before an lj serial# there were something that looks like HF points, after, there were none

Comment

I have an older Dynasty 200DX. Since it was new I have had the same periodic "no start" as popspipes descirbes and have done the same thing. New sharp tungsten or one that has done some work since being sharpened, strickly random happenings.

Since it has done it from brand new, I have never worried about points, it just the machines personality.

Has the factory ever released any info on this
                              Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
                              22A Feeder
                              MM175
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              TB302
                              12vs Extreme
                              Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
                              20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
                              16" x 60" engine lathe
                              65 Ton edwards iron worker