Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does fluxcore require a different munipulation than reg. wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does fluxcore require a different munipulation than reg. wire?

So yesterday I ran flux core for the first time ever and it seemed to run different than the regular MIG wire we have. Was it just me being nervous because the smoke was crowding my helmet or does it require a different movement ? Because just regular MIG wire with argon I can just drag and produce a nice clean bead ?

Are you talking innershield or dual shield wire, as dual shield has no polariy change unlike innershield which requires the change.

Comment

If I'm not mistaking dual shielding is flux core wire plus a tank of either argon or some mixture of shielding gas together ? I was only running flux core wire mostly because it came with the welding machine when I bought it from airgas. And I had never used it before.

Comment

Justin,

Fluxcore welds most like solid wire only without gas. sometimes your going to run a straight stringer, a weave and sometimes a side to side or even a zig/zag. Depends on if you are 1G, 2G, 3G up or down, or a 4G.

I am not the final word on this but have run 100s of lbs of both. Not so much on the dual sheild.

My fluxcore welds look like a cross between my stick and mig, my technique, everybodies different.

The gas you will use with solid wire is a 75/25% mix of Argon/Co2. Pure Argon would be for aluminum mig and all tig opps.

Your polarity will be different for solid vs fluxcore.

Dual shield wire is not fluxcore wire with gas.

Go to hobart or lincoln(their websites) and check the difference between the two.
        Most dual shield wires prefer pure Co2, but a bunch are happy with the mix gas.

Of coarse there is slag with fluxcore and dualshield wires which makes the bead appearance different with each.
        Fluxcore more like stick and the dualsheild I have run is a real pretty, smooth bead that ties in nice.

Different wires for different jobs and conditions.

Practice...Practice
        Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
        22A Feeder
        MM175
        Dynasty 200DX
        TB302
        12vs Extreme
        Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
        20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
        16" x 60" engine lathe
        65 Ton edwards iron worker
        3/16' x 24" power slip roll
        16' power feed mitering bandsaw
        and other fun toys

Comment

Originally posted by 1havnfun View Post
          Justin,

Fluxcore welds most like solid wire only without gas. sometimes your going to run a straight stringer, a weave and sometimes a side to side or even a zig/zag. Depends on if you are 1G, 2G, 3G up or down, or a 4G.

I am not the final word on this but have run 100s of lbs of both. Not so much on the dual sheild.

My fluxcore welds look like a cross between my stick and mig, my technique, everybodies different.

The gas you will use with solid wire is a 75/25% mix of Argon/Co2. Pure Argon would be for aluminum mig and all tig opps.

Your polarity will be different for solid vs fluxcore.

Dual shield wire is not fluxcore wire with gas.

Go to hobart or lincoln(their websites) and check the difference between the two.
          Most dual shield wires prefer pure Co2, but a bunch are happy with the mix gas.

Of coarse there is slag with fluxcore and dualshield wires which makes the bead appearance different with each.
          Fluxcore more like stick and the dualsheild I have run is a real pretty, smooth bead that ties in nice.

Different wires for different jobs and conditions.

Practice...Practice
          I dont want to pick on anybody, but dual shield as always been known as a flux core or tubular wire. Any wire that produces slag as welded, is tubular wire filled with flux.
          A.K.A. fluxcore

Comment

Daniel your right .... But

Daniel

So for the Newbes I listed according to Polarity and not anything else.

That's it
            Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
            22A Feeder
            MM175
            Dynasty 200DX
            TB302
            12vs Extreme
            Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
            20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
            16" x 60" engine lathe
            and other fun toys

Comment

Just to clarify

also when I stated that

Dual shield is not fluxcore with gas.
              Just to clarify
              If you are using INNERShield type fluxcore adding GAS is NOT the SAME as using DUALSHIELD

just thought I would state that before some else did.

And I know some will.
              Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
              22A Feeder
              MM175
              Dynasty 200DX
              TB302
              12vs Extreme
              Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
              20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
              16" x 60" engine lathe
              and other fun toys

Comment

fluxcore

As stated above from steel wire with gas switch polarity, also instead of pushing as you do with mig, drag at a slight angle, like stick you dont want to push your slag into your weld, so a 5 to 10 degree drag .
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                X