speedglas VS. jackson Nexgen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedglas VS. jackson Nexgen

okay so i have a speedglas 9002x and my buddy has a jackson Nexgen.

i love the speedglas but man that jackson is nice.

The clear shields and batterys arent exactly cheap for my speedglas. and i can get the free clear shields from work for free for the nexgen.

would it be smarter to buy the nexgen or jsut stick with the speedglas?

How many...

...clear shields can you by for the price of the nexgen? And how long would those last?
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
      ...clear shields can you by for the price of the nexgen? And how long would those last?
      ...and how long will you be working where you are?
      The next place might not supply any of those consumables.
      at home:
      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
      2008 Suitcase 12RC
      Spoolmatic 30A
      WC-24
      2009 Dynasty 200DX
      2000 XMT 304
      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Sold:MM130XP
      Sold:MM 251
      Sold:CST 280

at work:
      Invision 350MP
      Dynasty 350
      Millermatic 350P
      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

I've considered getting rid of my speedglas just because the **** thing won't stay put when I have my hood up. Tighten it up and flip it down one time and it's loose again, gotta hold my head like my nose is bleeding to keep the hood from falling down. If the jackson doesn't do that then it would be worth it regardless of lense cover cost.

Comment

speedglas

call speedglas and complain about the headgear. i had those cheap knobs on the side and i went through like 6 sets of em. theyll send you new replacements that are way better. they sent me new ones and ive had no problems.

but as far as the clear shields go they charge me 8 bucks a pop and they last like a week!

Comment

Are you...

...welding overhead all day, or are they that bad? Or are you just WAY too pickey? (I know I would be with mine.)
            MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
            Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by babillis alex View Post
              call speedglas and complain about the headgear. i had those cheap knobs on the side and i went through like 6 sets of em. theyll send you new replacements that are way better. they sent me new ones and ive had no problems.

but as far as the clear shields go they charge me 8 bucks a pop and they last like a week!
              I'll give them a call. The problem with the knobs is when you lift the hood they move with it. Tighten them down and then lift the hood and they loosen with it. Do the knobs they sent you last long? I just took mine off and it's just a cheep peice of plastic with a pawl on it to grip the ridges, it's all chewed up looking. Kinda disappointing to spend $300 on a hood and it's headgear sucks from the day you buy it.

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
              ...welding overhead all day, or are they that bad? Or are you just WAY too pickey? (I know I would be with mine.)
              I'm brand new to welding, so I may have higher expectations than are realistic. These hoods came with high recomendations when I was looking and the glass itself is great, the head gear is comfortable, but the headgear is frustrating to use. I'm not exagerating that when you lift the hood you have to tighten it each time or it falls, I just take it off or keep it down until I get to a stopping point. Haven't gotten to any overhead, yet. I probably have about 40 hours or so use out of it.

Comment

headgear

yeah dude the new knobs that they sent me wok really really well. they havent f***ed up on me yet. they come a little loose but you wont strip these out like the factory ones they put on the hoods. speedglas is awesome stuff but man is it expensive to maintain.

Comment

They both rock. I used Nexgens for years and loved them. This time around I bought a couple of Speedglas helmets(a 9100xx and a 9002), and other than having an blinking issue once in a while from ambient light, they've been awesome. The new headgear on the 9100 is dope too, looks complicated but it's way comfortable.
                  www.facebook.com/browndogwelding

Blog at TheFabricator.com

www.browndogwelding.com

Comment

X 1 on the 91000XX headgear. I also have a older Speedglas and agree that the new headgear is so much better. It does also have a positive click when in the up position.
                    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
                    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
                    Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
                    Cigweld TransMig 210se
                    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
                    Hypertherm PowerMax45
                    CutSkill O/A setup
                    Speedglas 9000x adflow
                    Speedglas 9100xx

Comment

I talked to 3m customer service and the guy I talked to seemed to be very knowledgable, spoke good english and sounded like an every day American. I'm happy that I didn't get hadji from bunglapoor india. He had me look at my head gear and think we found what the problem is. The part that the knobs screw into, the center protrudes instead of being flush, not allowing the knobs to get tight in the right place. He's sending me some new parts to hopefully fix the problem.

LarryO, when you say you get a possitive click in the up position are you talking about an audible click or do you feel it lock in place, both? I feel a possitive stop on mine, but I don't get any clicks when I lift my hood or feel it lock in place. Mine is more of a friction feel/sound, like rubbing the two peices together. Which I find strange because the hood has the ridges underneath the knobs for the knob detents to catch onto.

Comment

i have both 9100x and xx and neither have a problem with the knobs coming loose. both have a positive lock when flipped up but no click sound.
                        miller 225 bobcat
                        miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
                        mm175, mm211, TA181i
                        mm252 w/30a spool gun
                        precision tig 225
                        hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
                        Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
                        hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
                        victor journeyman & super range
                        ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
                        steel max and evolution carbide saws
                        6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
                        case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
                        if first you don't succeed
                        trash the b#####d

Comment

Sorry for the confusion dudes. Yes, it does have a positive stop in the up position but no "click" sound.
                          Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
                          Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
                          Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
                          Cigweld TransMig 210se
                          Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
                          Hypertherm PowerMax45
                          CutSkill O/A setup
                          Speedglas 9000x adflow
                          Speedglas 9100xx

Comment

If you are worried about the headgear holding up do not go with the jackson. There new 370 head gear is very comfy but does not last. Ive gone through three or four of them in the last year. It does have a postive click both down and up which is nice. But the straps kept breaking on mine and a few other peoples in the shop. I dunno if it was just a bad run, but through out the shop they were junk. there was four of us that had the new style and i would say we went through a dozen easy. One of the guys had a nex gen and loved it. Personally i cannot say which is better than the other ive always used a pasive lens.
                            Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

Just as an update to my headgear issue, I recieved 2 new knobs and the pivots that attach to the headgear from 3M earlier this week. There is a very noticable difference between the way these new ones work and the old ones. When looking at the pivots and comparing old to new, the new ones are more flush or slightly recessed at the hinge. With the old ones, the inside part of the pivot protruded about 1/16" from the housing it was in and that would not allow me to tighten it down properly, the knob would tighten itself against the inside of the pivot and never really get the hood to the point it was secure. Now, I can just tighten them down so they are firm and the hood stays put in the up position regardless of head position. I'm very satisfied with how these new parts fixed the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X