Gas Cylinder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My .02 cents worth

If all else fails you could use it as a compressed air tank. I have an old oxygen cylinder from a co. that went out of business years ago. None of the LWS around here would touch it with a 20' pole, since their name wasn't on it. I got the needed fittings and plumbed it into the output of my "hotdog" type compressor. It increased the volume capacity and I now have two air hose connections as well. With it full, I have aired up small tires with out starting the compressor. If you don't have an air compressor it could serve as a "portable" tank filled from another source of air. If you were thinking of buying a compressor many models come with different size tanks with a corresponding increase in price with increase in tank volume, with the compressor specs being the same. You could buy the compressor(to suit your needs) with the smallest tank volume of the ones offered and hook it up and save money on it. The larger air volume comes in handy when running a spray paint gun or pnuematic tools from a smaller unit. I also have a 25 gallon LP tank I use for the same purpose with a 2 HP compressor. If I'm painting alot or using a lot of air, by the time they get low on air pressure, I'm ready to drink a beer and have a cigarette while the compressor catches up anyway.

Comment

You sure have a strong air compressor tank that way! Put it upside down with a drip leg and drain valve and it should last many lifetimes.

Comment

Originally posted by rock mafia View Post
        National welders (airgas) gave me that crap several years ago, after they fired the only guy there that did not try to rape me when I swaped tanks. Now I use a small, local guy that comes by and swaps out my tanks cheaper than I can drive to NW. They mostly deal with medical oxygen. Have a 300 tank that he's happy to swap.

Everything I get from him comes from national welders, guess sometimes it's better to have a middleman.

Maybe you could find someone similar, and have less hassels
        Airgas, the company, must have a very loose organization structure. I've had such great luck with them, and I hope it continues.

I used to drive 60 miles to the nearest Airgas depot as they were so easy to deal with. If a cylinder was out of date, they didn't care. They said "it's part of the cost of doing business". I brought in some cylinders that came from a flea market. They didn't care.

A while back our LWS was purchased by Airgas. When I went in and swapped a cylinder, the lady asked me if I was going to leave town with it. I said 'no' and she said "then we don't care about the inspection date. If you were going to leave town, I'd look for a date far in the future so you wouldn't have any trouble. As it is, when you bring it in, we don't care, and it just doesn't matter". I wonder why such a difference. Is it the different area or is it the local managers?

One time I had two small CO2 cylinders with no safety cap. I just wasn't comfortable with them, especially after seeing 'Mythbusters' send a cylinder through 1 1/2 block walls. I took them to the Airgas store and asked about a swap. The manager swapped the two little cylinders for a larger one with the screw on safety cap. He probably did well. I was very happy.

I have no idea, but I feel fortunate that my LWS isn't like some I've read about.
        Last edited by jworman; 05-29-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jworman View Post
          Airgas, the company, must have a very loose organization structure. I've had such great luck with them, and I hope it continues.

I used to drive 60 miles to the nearest Airgas depot as they were so easy to deal with. If a cylinder was out of date, they didn't care. They said "it's part of the cost of doing business". I brought in some cylinders that came from a flea market. They didn't care.

A while back our LWS was purchased by Airgas. When I went in and swapped a cylinder, the lady asked me if I was going to leave town with it. I said 'no' and she said "then we don't care about the inspection date. If you were going to leave town, I'd look for a date far in the future so you wouldn't have any trouble. As it is, when you bring it in, we don't care, and it just doesn't matter". I wonder why such a difference. Is it the different area or is it the local managers?

One time I had two small CO2 cylinders with no safety cap. I just wasn't comfortable with them, especially after seeing 'Mythbusters' send a cylinder through 1 1/2 block walls. I took them to the Airgas store and asked about a swap. The manager swapped the two little cylinders for a larger one with the screw on safety cap. He probably did well. I was very happy.

I have no idea, but I feel fortunate that my LWS isn't like some I've read about.
          I've had much the same experience with my Airgas store in the Cleveland area. Nice folks and easy to deal with.
          Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
          Miller 340A/BP
          Victor O/A torches
          Lincoln SP125
          Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
          78 GS1000
          82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

It is the people that were at the local store that was bought up, I too have been dealing with the same local branch of of the Airgas formerly called Smith Welding supply for over 30 years, great people and great service.

But I will say that I have been in the store when some genius/legend in his own mind with attitude comes in. And starts acting "STUPID", I bet they wouldn't have the same thoughts and feelings about the Airgas Branch!

Airgas does have 12 regional operations in addition to corporate web sales. So it depends on the operational attitude of the companies they have assimilated.
            glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Originally posted by PTsideshow View Post
              It is the people that were at the local store that was bought up, I too have been dealing with the same local branch of of the Airgas formerly called Smith Welding supply for over 30 years, great people and great service.

But I will say that I have been in the store when some genius/legend in his own mind with attitude comes in. And starts acting "STUPID", I bet they wouldn't have the same thoughts and feelings about the Airgas Branch!

Airgas does have 12 regional operations in addition to corporate web sales. So it depends on the operational attitude of the companies they have assimilated.
              I think we're in the same region. My credit card bills all say "Great Lakes Airgas" I've been dealing with the store I use for about 10 years now. I'm sure there are the know it all genius welders or so called welders who come in and act stupid and say the people at the store are idiots. But these people at Airgas will bend over backwards to get me what I need as fast as possible.

I've never been refused a cylinder exchange there, even when it wasn't their cylinders. I have a dozen of the 330 cf cylinders which I've had since I was a teenager and are grandfathered in but I have taken a couple of friends to the store and they had 330's that they bought used and they swapped them out without any questions or problems.

As far as dates on the tanks, it's never been an issue at Airgas. When I bought my tanks originally they were good for something like 90 years or something like that. I'm sure one of my ex's have thrown away my original paper work on the tank purchase but then again you never get your tanks back anyway. They just exchange an empty for a full so if it is out of date it is on the supplier not the owner. Or at least the way I see it anyway.

I'm sure it was just the person at the particular Airgas store that was giving the original poster the problem with exchanging the cylinder. Maybe that particular store hires a$$holes to run the store? Who knows? Perhaps if the original poster would take his cylinder to a different Airgas store he could get it exchanged especially since Airgas has taken over Burdox (I know I'm dating myself here but I remember when Burdox was still in business).
              Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
              Miller 340A/BP
              Victor O/A torches
              Lincoln SP125
              Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
              78 GS1000
              82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Airgas store quality depends on their SPECIFIC management.

Mine in Sumter, SC have been excellent for years and treated me right as "random guy off the street". They were just as good when I later did commercial buying from them.

Airgas welcomes feedback, so let the company know who is good and who is not, no rants, be professional.

Comment

Originally posted by jworman View Post
                  This has more to do with the DOT than anything else I'd imagine.....
                  Bobcat 225NT
                  Cutmaster 52
                  Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                  Caterpillar TH63
                  '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by truebluelew View Post
                    That's the way it is in Tennessee too. 80cf is the largest you can OWN. Sometimes you can take the larger tank to a local supplier and they will give you a finder's fee credit. Call your local supplier and give them the name on the tank. A lot of companies have been bought out over the years and they will take tanks with other names on them.
                    This is simply not true. I deal with Holston for all my compressed gases and they will sell up to a 80 cf bottle but up to a 150cf is considered customer owned. They will fill any bottle bigger but you must leave your bottle to be filled. If the hydro date is good then your set if not then you will have to pay for a hydro. You can own ANY size tank/bottle BUT none of the lws will sell anything bigger than a 150cf , for most a 80cf is the largest they will sell. It's all about making money on the leases as there isn't any law that dictates what size bottle you can "own". If you give a lws a bottle for a finders fee then you need your head examined.
                    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                    Rockwell vertical mill
                    Beverly Shear B-3
                    Beverly Shear JR
                    Home-made English wheel
                    Milwaukee Porta-band
                    " Sawz-all
                    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                    Powcon 300st

Comment

I went back Airgas today, armed with my knowledge that Burdox was bought out by Airgas to try to exchange or trade in this tank. The counter guy was not willing to help me out....but he was willing to take the tank off of my hands and "dispose" of it for me.

There is another Airgas not too far away I think I'm going to try my luck at a different shop.

Comment

I've been blasted for this before but if nobody will accept it then I don't see how it is stealing.

If the name on the neck ring is no longer in business & no one will swap it because of the name just grind it off & finish using a sanding disc. Spray it with some paint & wipe with dirt, beat it up a little then go to a LWC & tell them it is yours.
                        MM250
                        Trailblazer 250g
                        22a feeder
                        Lincoln ac/dc 225
                        Victor O/A
                        MM200 black face
                        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                        Arco roto-phase model M
                        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                        Miller spectrum 875
                        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                        Syncrowave 250
                        RCCS-14

Comment

Taking a flap disc (neater than a rock) to the neck ring is exactly what was/is done to many cylinders from a variety of suppliers when the companies owning those cylinders were bought out.

Anyone who has worked where many cylinders cycle in and out has seen this. Remember any distinctive paint (and if it's brushed or sprayed) because the rings are painted for corrosion resistance.

Cylinders last a VERY long time:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ldest+cylinder

Comment

Makes no difference what you do to the name on the neck, lease cylinders are lease cylinders, you pay rent. When they swap a cylinder you will still be paying rent. Even in the locations that allow the sale of larger cylinders DOT/federal law states that the name of the owner is in the neck ring. Generally the company that sold the cylinder. If they have private owner cylinders then I doubt if they would be giving them a problem.

Of course any grinding, sanding, tooling marks and a fresh painted cylinder can hide more faults. Bottom line it will depend on the insurance the LWS carries as to what liability they want to assume.

In this part of Michigan 125³ft is the largest they sell. So little difference between the 125/150³ft that Airgas locally has only 125's I believe that is carry over from the old Smith welding they bought up.

Some of the leases run 99 years so some people say they bought them even if they don't realize the rent is on the gas bill each time.

All the cylinders have an cast name in the ring around here whether it is a current owner or one of the 25 pages of other bought out owners.
                            glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                              I've been blasted for this before but if nobody will accept it then I don't see how it is stealing.

If the name on the neck ring is no longer in business & no one will swap it because of the name just grind it off & finish using a sanding disc. Spray it with some paint & wipe with dirt, beat it up a little then go to a LWC & tell them it is yours.
                              If the government would just stop helping us things just might become better?

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                                This has more to do with the DOT than anything else I'd imagine.....
                                She just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to another store where they DID care about inspection dates.

The airgas stores in Southern New Mexico (the two I've gone to) don't even look at the dates. They just swap. Someone at the filling location looks I suppose, and tests them if needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X