Gas Cylinder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Cylinder Question

I purchased a used Syncrowave and it included a 300cf cylinder. The cylinder is now empty and I can't get the darn thing filled or exchanged. I'm being told that locally tanks that size are NEVER sold but only leased or rented and that there is nothing I can do with it. They want me to either purchase an 80cf cylinder (largest they claim they can sell me) or lease something larger but either way I'm stuck with the big cylinder I have.

What the heck do I do with this thing????

Cylinder

What name is on the tank? If it says XYZ welding, then you should be able to take it to XYZ welding and exchange or downsize, or at least get them to take it off your hands. Now if XYZ welding is 100 miles away, that is a problem.

80 cu ft or so is the largest you can own in Colorado, as far as I can tell, so that part of the story is reasonable. I have heard, however, that the 80 cu ft rule varies from company to company.

Richard
    Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

Tank Swap

That's the way it is in Tennessee too. 80cf is the largest you can OWN. Sometimes you can take the larger tank to a local supplier and they will give you a finder's fee credit. Call your local supplier and give them the name on the tank. A lot of companies have been bought out over the years and they will take tanks with other names on them.
      Millermatic 251
      Millermatic Reach
      Spoolmatic 30A
      Miller BlueStar 185DX
      Hypertherm Powermax 45
      Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Oatway View Post
        I purchased a used Syncrowave and it included a 300cf cylinder. The cylinder is now empty and I can't get the darn thing filled or exchanged. I'm being told that locally tanks that size are NEVER sold but only leased or rented and that there is nothing I can do with it. They want me to either purchase an 80cf cylinder (largest they claim they can sell me) or lease something larger but either way I'm stuck with the big cylinder I have.

What the heck do I do with this thing????
        They make great wind chimes. Seriously!

Griff

Comment

Where are you located? Maybe someone close to you could swap it on their account. If your near me (NNJ) I could get it swapped for you.

I never have a problem swapping out bottles. I guess it is because I'm grandfathered in on owning large bottles as that used to be the norm before the small ones were so popular. I have heard that they will only sell you a 80cf or smaller bottle now.

In my area there is only a few companies anymore as they bought out all the smaller ones. There are many bottles with names of companies no longer in business. If the company on the bottle no longer exists the current suppliers are usually just happy to get another bottle back into their system.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

Thanks everybody...the name on the cylinder neck is Burdox. A quick google search turns up nothing on that name so I assume they are gone.

I'm in central CT, thanks for the offer of help. Heck I would even be willing to exchange in for something smaller....just dont want to get stuck with a gigantic paperweight.

Comment

Burdox was bought out by AGA Gas. I saw some of their bottles in my 12 pack at work today and its in an AGA Gas 12 pack...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Bowling ball mortar tube ...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Craigslist it.

Alternately, find a buddy with a lease account and run it through them.

Comment

AGA was bought out by Airgas if I remember correctly. Call em and ask about returning an MT that came with some tools you bought at an auction as it is a common deal. Whether they are a stolen cylinder or just like one that was dropped off at my house. Found in a shed 5 years after granpappy died. It is an old Liquid Carbonic which is owned by Praxair now.

Last time I saw the list of cylinders and company property that Airgas bought it was 25 single spaced pages long!

Only use inert gas or oxygen cylinders for any projects, not fuel gas cylinders.
                    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Originally posted by PTsideshow View Post
                      AGA was bought out by Airgas if I remember correctly.
                      Yes that is correct now that i think about it. The rack for my 12 pac is Airgas Blue. $hittest welds i have ever seen too on it for a welding supplier...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Thanks....it was the Airgas counter guy that wouldn't take the tank. Now I'm armed with more info maybe I can get them to take it.

Comment

Tell them they should swap it out because it was your Dad's or Grandad's.
                          MM250
                          Trailblazer 250g
                          22a feeder
                          Lincoln ac/dc 225
                          Victor O/A
                          MM200 black face
                          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                          Arco roto-phase model M
                          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                          Miller spectrum 875
                          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                          Syncrowave 250
                          RCCS-14

Comment

Airgas has a master list of acquired companies. I don't have the link, unfortunately.

Comment

National welders (airgas) gave me that crap several years ago, after they fired the only guy there that did not try to rape me when I swaped tanks. Now I use a small, local guy that comes by and swaps out my tanks cheaper than I can drive to NW. They mostly deal with medical oxygen. Have a 300 tank that he's happy to swap.

Everything I get from him comes from national welders, guess sometimes it's better to have a middleman.

Maybe you could find someone similar, and have less hassels

Comment

Working...
                              X