No announcement yet.

Please help anyone who knows what e6010 is suppose to look like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I have wagon tracks on a 1 pass horz. fillet. I'm going to hang it up right now.

I would of called inconsistency first, Then I would have called the pin hole that was in one of the ripples (might not be able to see it in the picture). Last, I'm not sure if it's there or not but, I imagine you could find some undercut somewhere along the toes.

I would be interested to see your instructors 6010 whip fillet weld. Especially, with a digital camera, they seem to make a decent weld look like poop. Not saying that's what happen in my case, just stating that there is a lot of welds that I think look sweet and after I take a picture, I delete it LOL. Except for Sonora his seem to turn out good even on camera Profession shots maybe??? LOL
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Comment

Rig Hand,

Inconsistent yea. Pinhole I can't see. As I said earlier I've run less aesthetic stepped roots with 6010's and still slid past the films and inspector's wrath. Yea man, some slide by and some are pristine. Either way way most all of 'em fly. Good job Man!

Obviously his instructor does not "smoke" for a living and I am beginning to wonder how he got his credentials.

I'd personally kill for the chance to run a few roots and post a few pictures myself. However, I am currently having repercussions from a near fatal accident a decade ago. The doctors have said if I don't behave myself I could be in a wheel chair real soon. I got the "itch", but it will be a bit before I can scratch.

Again, good job Rig Hand. I'd find somebody else to be teaching me if I were countryboy. Again my .02

HAWK

Comment

We don't know what the instructor said for sure, lots of those guys have a lot of people to manage, I have made statements that were not technically correct to the letter and a lot depends on who one might be talking to. (example,,, I have said here that 7018 was a DC rod, a pro would know there are exceptions but a guy learning and asking on this forum I tell him to set it on DC+, they are already confused enough) I Had one that really wasn't much of a welder but learned a lot from him anyway, he knew a lot about the work world and where to head people after a course, right place for the right guys.
        Also agree that pics can make a good weld look not so good.

Comment

I usually jump at the chance to give tim sh!t for sucking, but this time, I think his old lady laid down a fairly nice bead of weld for him to post as his own. Nice job righand.
          sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Originally posted by sae350 View Post
            I usually jump at the chance to give tim sh!t for sucking, but this time, I think his old lady laid down a fairly nice bead of weld for him to post as his own. Nice job righand.
            I don't know either of you guys, but that's funny!

HAWK

Comment

hey hawk, i sure would like to see a bead that you are explaining, 7018 looks like it was put in by a putty knife, the other rods always have that hot, dirty look to them, this topic is subject to each ones optical opinion, tomorrow i will get in the shop and play with it for a while, ive got a 50# can of 5/32 6010, that should be enough for experimenting

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                hey hawk, i sure would like to see a bead that you are explaining, 7018 looks like it was put in by a putty knife, the other rods always have that hot, dirty look to them, this topic is subject to each ones optical opinion, tomorrow i will get in the shop and play with it for a while, ive got a 50# can of 5/32 6010, that should be enough for experimenting
                Kevin,

I guess you are referring to a drag bead or maybe a circular bead with a 6010. I had some 1/8" roots on 1/2" fillets posted here about 4 years ago. I also had some stepped beads. I cannot find those posts and neither can "Ask Andy". They, among others seem to have been lost on a forum update merger.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, on this thread, I'm having repercussions from a near fatal accident in 2001. I was partially paralyzed in the bed for several months back then and don't want to be there again. Just got done with all the scans again: MRI's and such.

I have a new Doc and she is really great! Easy on the eyes too! I also lost all my equipment, including a BB AIr Pak, in a nasty divorce. Finding a welder and a few minutes to run these is not a problem. However, right at this moment, I physically cannot do it. I gotta do what the doctors say and behave myself for now. Believe me it sucks!!!

Good luck with your #50 of 5/32 play day.

HAWK

Comment

Originally posted by sae350 View Post
                  If my old lady welded it there would just be a couple arc marks and a stuck rod. She jumps and screams every time the arc starts LOL.

What are you up to?
                  '08 F-350
                  Vantage 400
                  SA-250
                  SA-200
                  Invertec V350Pro
                  Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
                  Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
                  Track torch

Comment

hawk, so sorry for your medical problems, and your trouble with the ladies, are we brothers that never met, im on my third round of marriage, almost crooked this past october with heart issues, and i wont be able to mess around with the 5p today, i gotta get stuff together for mondays appt at the surgeon,s, the older we get, the more complicated life becomes, stay focused my friend, its better than the alternative

Comment

What's 6010 supposed to look like?

Well, I've read every post so far, and I don't think anybody has hit the proverbial nail on the head. 6010, just like any other rod you run is supposed to look "Neat and workman like" so that you can show anybody that looks at your weld that you know what the heck you are doing!
                      It doesn't matter if you whip, pause, stagger or drag. Your beads should show consistent quality workmanship with minimal or no undercutting, consistent bead deposition, and be free of arc burns and other defects.
                      Miller Syncrowave 200
                      Homemade Water Cooler
                      130XP MIG
                      Spectrum 375
                      60 year old Logan Lathe
                      Select Machine and Tool Mill
                      More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
                        ...we had a dicussion on the "stack of dimes" look with mig welds and how some folks thought it created stress risers in the weld.
                        You mean it doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
                          If my old lady welded it there would just be a couple arc marks and a stuck rod. She jumps and screams every time the arc starts LOL.

What are you up to?
                          Thats the same thing that happens when my wife wants to weld. Except it some how turns into it being my fault she cant weld and then she hates me for the rest of the day.

Im still working as a shop rat right now. Been doin pressure vessels and process piping for a potash plant in NewMexico. Lots of stainless, mostly been doin 2'' sch80 socket welds and sock-o-lets. All the big butt welds are being orbitaled unless they cant get to them. Then we walk them out.
                          Other than that, im trying to get on with NPL.
                          sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
                            Well, I've read every post so far, and I don't think anybody has hit the proverbial nail on the head. 6010, just like any other rod you run is supposed to look "Neat and workman like" so that you can show anybody that looks at your weld that you know what the heck you are doing!
                            It doesn't matter if you whip, pause, stagger or drag. Your beads should show consistent quality workmanship with minimal or no undercutting, consistent bead deposition, and be free of arc burns and other defects.
                            Didn't JT pretty much cover it?

I honestly believe he's been in more tight stitches and run more miles of weld on pipe than the rest of us put together. JT, I know we've had a few disagreements over uphill and downhand, but "you are the pipe man".

HAWK

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                              hawk, so sorry for your medical problems, and your trouble with the ladies, are we brothers that never met, im on my third round of marriage, almost crooked this past october with heart issues, and i wont be able to mess around with the 5p today, i gotta get stuff together for mondays appt at the surgeon,s, the older we get, the more complicated life becomes, stay focused my friend, its better than the alternative

Thanks man. Brothers? Maybe. That's funny! I was married almost 21 years the first time. Paul Seaman spent a few days around the shop and learned why I stayed there 24/7! Andy W. met her once as well. That's two votes for sorry dude.

I never thought I'd be down again in my cervical and lumbar spine 10 years down the road. Yea man, I am really lucky to walk and weld again for sure! Right now it's pretty much unbearable dude. Doc thinks I've got something to look forward to over the next year. Hopefully walking and not wheeling it.

I am very sorry to hear about your heart problems. Good luck with the surgeon. PM me and I'll send you my email if you want to correspond. Maybe one day we can meet between NH and TN. and burn a few rods. You can post my welds as yours! HA! NOT!

HAWK

Comment

Ok sorry for all the confusion and for arguments sake

My professor who i am goin to let remain anymonus has been welding since he was a teen worked at bowing engineering mc donald douglas and is a certified welder advanced tig welder holds more than 5 certs in the nde feild. I think he knows what he is talking about as far as doing it over and over day in and out it looks the same every demo. Only problem is he only does about 3 inches worth on a 6 inch coupon. I believe on pipe it is very critical to keep a consistencey. Could be wrong i have made it very clear im green to this but have a passion like no other for it. He refers to wagon tracks as the spacing between your"stack of dimes" there is a spacing (the instructors at college of the canyons which is a lisc. Testign facility) believe is big i have seen some of the sudents run tight dimes i my self cant get it any closer than yours. Sorry if i sound like a **** i appericate all the advice . Here are some pix of my projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X