New fuel cans / spouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fuel cans / spouts?

My older fuel cans were lifted by someone, so I had to pick up some new ones for both gas and diesel. Those new Carb compliant spouts really stink. You have to wait forever to fuel up your engine drive, pushing the device in, to get the fuel to flow. As I stand there, I think about the work I could be finishing. Anybody come up with a cheap/ easy adapter?

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469715.html

Just don't get caught wid dem on a job site
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Seriously,

Yer gonna have to cough up the $$ for some Safety Cans to get anything decent now.

All of those Plastic fuel containers have to be ARB compliant
      and
      Children’s Gasoline Burn Prevention Act compliant
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Some folks use the GI water cans which have a handy pour spout to which one can clamp a fill hose.

I filled mine, tightened the cap(s) firmly, and threw them around the driveway for a few minutes. Slight vapor pharts and a little seepage at the cap.

Comment

Those plastic cans really suck. I have 3 5 gallon ones just to haul my free gas in then i use a long trans funnel to get the gas from the can to my tank. Tomorrow i go get my 30 free gallons at my local store gas station. 15 in my car and 15 in the trunk for the ride home. I have been buying the old metal galv round cans for my mowers and saws...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

racing fuel cap / fill spout

Will those caps, screw on those yellow plastic diesel jugs, that most stores sell? I could put them on for fills, and return the originals for storage. It might not be compliant, but I can keep a safety can out for that.

Comment

aametalmasters cans

I need to find cans like yours. I have had to pay to fill mine. I need some of those to fill for free. It would make the carb compliant ones, worth waiting on them to dump.

Comment

hmm

copied from another forum Since our Government is protecting us from ourselves, the new fuel can regs specify the 'self venting' spouts and the can is not vented- seems you can't buy the old style cans in the US any more. These spouts work like crap and take forever to empty.

In the 'way too much time on my hands' catergory I added a vent to my 5 gal can. Used a 7/16 drill bit on the can where the vent used to be, and wallowed out the hole ever so slightly. Took the body from a 1/4 OD x 1/4 MIP compression connector (Home Depot plumbing department- A-23 was what was on the bag) and self-threaded it into the can. Added some aviation gasket sealant (fuel will not dissolve it) on the threads to seal the vent and put a 1/4 OD cap (A-5) on it with a little gasket inside.

Doesn't spill on the way back from the gas station and pours quickly like the old style - should last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by north1 View Post
                  I need to find cans like yours. I have had to pay to fill mine. I need some of those to fill for free. It would make the carb compliant ones, worth waiting on them to dump.
                  My local grocery store has 30 gallons free gas with how ever much spent at the store. I don't buy many groceries but i do get my precriptions filled there and thats about 500 a month. So nothing like 30 free gallons at $3.85 a gal ...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

I had rodents chew through a few of my plastic cans (I keep them in a "fuel dump" 50' from the house) so I switched to the metal jerry cans from Northern Tool. I also have 2 of the 30 gallon fuel containers that have a valve and filler hose attached (again from northern tool).

If you go with the metal cans, you can get the matching spouts on e-bay cheap, add a vent yourself as a previous poster mentioned and you have a good fuel can to work with.

Comment

The MWC (Military Water Cans) aren't suitable for carrying in your passenger compartment (which is not real bright anyway) but are vastly better then the cheap red plastic abortions.

Same plastic and at under twenty bucks (from LCI) each dirt cheap.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=41417

Steel cans are cool until they rust, but the linked forums have all sorts of info to help you choose what works for you.

Note the spout mod in the link.

Comment

Some of the new style cans have spouts that work better than some of the others. Check out different brands.

I guess my 5 gal. oil pails don't meet standards?

Ben

Comment

Bought 4 new Diesel cans at HD.

They are the type with the locking flapper in the spout. You have to slide the lock over, push the trigger, and tip the 5 gallons of gas. Not an easy task to accomplish. Seems that will cause more spilled gas than just an open hose. It took me about 15 seconds to figure out how to remove the locking mechanism. Now I have a new project thanks to the suggestion here, adding the extra vent. I do kind of like the flapper so that will stay. But it needs more air flow.
                          MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                          Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Working...
                          X