No announcement yet.

What kind of welding does everyone do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of welding does everyone do?

I always think its interresting listening to what kind of welding other people do. weather its just hobby or you do it for a living. Stick tig or mig. I think its all interesting. Pipe, tanks, structural, sheet metal?

I started welding in a producion shop building and welding booms for JLG lifts. Good experiance all you did was burn wire and lots of it. All fillet welds so it was not very technical. My current job is in an asme coded shop. http://www.globalfabricationinc.com/ check it out if you want.
    I started building skids from W beams and channel. all sizes and type. It was all with flux core wire. Moved to tanks, layout, fitup and weld. Almost all are 100% xray. They ranged from 1/4 inch wall to 4 inch wall and from 2 foot to 14 foot diameter. Most tanks are welding stt root couple hot passes with metal core wire. then cover with subarc. From there i moved to pipe, which is where im currently at. from 1 inch pipe to 18 inch pipe. All of it 100% x ray. Could not tell you how many seams i have done total but the inspector came out yesterday and told me i was over 300 roots and hot passes without a drop. thats was all in the last 2 months. On smaller pipe 4 inch and down we do tig roots and hots and metal core cover. 6 inch and up we use the stt and metal core cover. At least for the pipe we can spin in a postioner. Anything that cannot be spun is welded tig root and hot and covered with flux core or welded out with the tig depending on what kinda mood im in.
    Well that is my welding experiance in a nut shell. I have learned alot in five years. I still try to learn something everything everyday and make everyweld a little better and get a little faster.
    So lets here it what have you done?
    Linclon power mig 350MP

i'v done the shipyard thing for a few years then i moved into the platform and structural fab yards for a few years then went to welding pipe . now i have been disabled for a few years and just mess around with it. i still go give my brother a hand when he needs some welding done on the cranes. that was my last job building offshore cranes. other than tig i am certified to weld fluxcore/stick/shortarc. i did very little tig .for the pipe i am certified and 2-1/2 to unlimited but nuthing smallerthan 2-1/2. i have a few certifications for the cranes one with stick and the rest was all fluxcore.i have the 6gr stick and 6gr fluxcore certs too.now it's all a hobby and i try to teach my sons the trade when they are willing.lol

Comment

Now that I have retired (From two different jobs in the aviation field, NIETHER of which were remotely related to making anything out of metal) and have time to do a lot of things I have always wanted to, I'm a hobby welder, mostly. Do Gas, Stick, MIG and (barely) some TIG. I take classes at the local JC (currently it is WELD 250 or something like that...allows me to go into the welding lab and do just about whatever strikes my fancy. (The classes are cheap at my age and it is WAY cheaper than buying an expensive TIG machine, yet allows me to use a wide variety of machines. The current class is self study, self paced, etc....means I can go in about any day I want and do about anything I want to mess with).

I fix stuff for neighbors, fab up unobtainable parts to specific fits and uses for the motorcycles I build. Often weld something then put the result in the lathe to machine it for a specific, precise fit into or on whatever.... The fun is in trying to do the best job I can...problem is I tend to compare my welds to ones done by guys that have been doing it for DECADES and are really good at whichever process. Makes me disgusted sometimes watching them do such pretty welds and making it look so easy. But then, as some of them have pointed out, they often have done it 50 hours or more a week and for years...LOTS of experience there and really hard to match their standards! But then the learning process is half the fun for me...the other half is making something I need or someone else needs...Often I am forced to learn something new (lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, welding, metallurgy, what you can get and where, etc) in order to make something I need.

As they say, "The only way to keep from becoming an old dog is to keep learning new tricks."
      Don J
      Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

I started welding for my Dad at about age 16. Dad was into gates with lots of art, grape leaf, sun rays. I grew up and swore never to pickup another stick in my life time. That did not work out. I have a wife that wants more and more horse pens. Most of the pens and fences are made from used drill stem pipe. After getting older I enjoy the welding in my spare time.........just don't want to be forced to work that hard. Anyone that welds for a living, especially in a trench must be crazy and under paid!

Comment

"Most tanks are welding stt root"

And sst is....?

Comment

Stick, TIG, MIG, FCMAW.
            BTW Stick is AWS APII and LA City code.
            TIG is ASME ,API.
            BTW end for you, I have enough
            Last edited by kcd616; 04-09-2011, 09:42 PM.
            Welding is an art. But is also science in action. Chemistry and Physics. Got to love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
              "Most tanks are welding stt root"

And sst is....?
              Surface Tension Transfer

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...ture/NX310.pdf

-Ian
              :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

Besides what i do at home i do this now.
                http://www.robots.com/movies.php?tag=246 This was my robot during testing at the factory before being shipped to where i work...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Them robots look pretty cool. At my first job we had a few bu they did not preform well. I could actually get more done in a night then the robot. But i believe most of the problem was with the programming. At first they had programmers that couldnt weld doing it. then tried tried training a welder to program but did send him to enough school. so it was a mess the whole time i was there. but from what i understand now they have them running pretty good.

As for the STT it is pretty cool. it is basically a super controlled short arc. The only bad thing is it is very good at hiding its imperfections. The porosity is normally hidden in the weld. So its very easy to get a drop. But would say so far we are keeping a pretty good record with it. i would say we have done over 500 seams with it and maybe 20 drops because of porosity. But we do not get much tolerance. a 32nd in a foot. But it is alot faster then a tig root. I have tried keeping up to it with a tig and not even come close.

Also i have to admire anyone that is learning to weld as a hobby because it is not an easy skill to learn as nothing but a hobby. I have been lucky to always have very skilled welders around me to help me along and now i can pass what i learned along to new welders. I guess in that sense its a very rewarding job.
                  Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                    Besides what i do at home i do this now.
                    http://www.robots.com/movies.php?tag=246 This was my robot during testing at the factory before being shipped to where i work...Bob
                    I dont understand what you do. You build these robot arms, you design them or operate?

Comment

I do dual shield/ fluxcore on stainless and carbon steel. we build alot of parts for buildings,alot of staircases lately,&the heavy stainless parts fcaw welded are usually for water treatment plants.75% of the time though is layout,fabrication etc..When I am at home ,funtime, I tig weld cobbing together contraptions and just practicing.I really want to get good at tig...The other shop down the street does all the aluminum tig so I hope to transfer over there and get some good practice in..All blue machines both at work and at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                        I dont understand what you do. You build these robot arms, you design them or operate?
                        I set up the fixtures, weld the parts like the guy in the movie and make adjustments for the welds like weld placement, heat settings, gun angles and pretty much make 500-1,000 parts a day...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Comment

I weld as a living.I have been welding ductwork for the Sheetmetal workers union for 21yrs.Also operate my own business after working union/weekends,nights.I have a small shop and a mobile rig, been doing that for 16yrs now.Mostly structural and Heavy Equipment,buckets,dump bodys,trailers,pintle plates, rock crusher plant,snow plows.etc etc.
                          Last edited by admweld; 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM.
                          BB402D
                          TB300D
                          DIMENSION652
                          MM250X
                          MAXSTAR140
                          S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                          HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by admweld View Post
                            I weld as a living.I have been welding ductwork for the Sheetmetal workers union for 21yrs.
                            I was a union sheetmetal worker for 8 years then i left. This summer i came back to them to fill in at my old job i left 18 years ago for a few months. Then i welded all their parts and got laid off for my first time ever...Bob
                            Bob Wright

Comment

automotive engine repair

I used to weld cracked aluminum cylinder heads in our automotive machine shop until we sold off the shop and equipment ,thats when i purchased the Miller syncrowave 250 Tig unit and now its just used around the home shop repairing tractor parts and fencing/gates.

(took classes in Atlanta area,also learned cast iron spray welding interesting stuff)
                              Angus
                              Miller syncrowave 250 Tig w/water cooled torch

Comment

Working...
                              X