spoolmate 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spoolmate 100

I bought a mm211 over the winter and i love it. I was laying very nice beads in no time with it.

So the other day i decided to get a spoolgun for doing aluminum. I have a few projects that I want to make out of aluminum square tubing instead of mild steel. First thing I have to say is...wow! Not something Im going to pick up fast like I did the welding steel with the mig.

So due to my noobism I managed to burn up a half dozen tips practicing. I was finally getn the hang of it and producing what somewhat looked like a bead instead of black turds and bam I burnt it back real bad melting the tip. I then broke the tip off trying to remove it. After I finally got the threaded part of the contact tip out I notice the beginning of the treads on the liner where shot. It would just mash the copper threads on the tip if I tried to screw a new one in. A day old spoolgun I now have to take apart and im guessing have to replace the whole brass tube and liner.

Anybody else ever have this happen?

I have a 100 that I use with my Passport Plus and I have had excellent results. Try increasing the wire speed substantially, even to the point where you are feeding out more than is melting, then back off. Also, "push" the weld instead of "pulling" it. And move fast.

Comment

ahhh are you using straight argon, as for the threads, I just retap it.

Comment

My fault....100% argon 4043 .30 wire .30 contact tip. I was pushing and noticed the sweet spot that produced less if any black soot. That makes sense to turn the wire speed up and move faster. Like I said Im totally green when it comes to aluminum so there is major room for improvement on my technique

I thought about re taping but it would have to be drilled out to the next size. I ordered a new head tube assembly but i cant figure out how to get the old one apart to get the liner out.

Comment

Don't throw away your old barrel if it ever gets shot. I can rethread them for the standard Miller mig gun tips that way you only need to stock one tip...Bob
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48
          Bob Wright

Comment

Spoolmate 100

Originally posted by Firemn260 View Post
            My fault....100% argon 4043 .30 wire .30 contact tip. I was pushing and noticed the sweet spot that produced less if any black soot. That makes sense to turn the wire speed up and move faster. Like I said Im totally green when it comes to aluminum so there is major room for improvement on my technique

I thought about re taping but it would have to be drilled out to the next size. I ordered a new head tube assembly but i cant figure out how to get the old one apart to get the liner out.
            Pull the gun back a little when starting, helps to avoid burnback. The "black soot" is normal, as remember, you're using a DC+ CV machine.
            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Working...
            X