help ! cracked boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help ! cracked boom

can someone give me advice on welding a cracked trackhoe boom. its a linkbelt 2800 used in a lot rock bucket only no hammer. its cracked in several places in middel of boom and around the main swing pin . its geting worse and needs to be fixed.thinking about fluxcore dualsheild 045 or 7018 u tell me. do i plate this or not.any coments or advice would help thanks

dual shield would get it done a lot faster....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

7018 as the minimum. Maybe even 8018C3. Best to remove the cracks completely if possible. I would pre heat 250-300F. Can`t really advise about plating it without seeing it for myself.

Comment

I would open up the cracks before i welded it. I think you would be ok with 7018 or dual shield. And i would plate it.
        Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

Deffenetly gouge the cracks out almost all the way through and past the end of the cracks into the good metal. I like to leave maybe 3/32 of a land and clean up the crack (with a zip cut if possible and some break kleen). Preheat at least take the sweat out of the steel 200 to 300 f idealy you probly dont have to worry about inter pass temps as its not to thick and youll only be doing a couple passes. Then run a good hot open root pass. And fill her up. Fish plates are always a good idea just no sharp corners. Try some arctec 223xc its great stuff very similar to a 7018 just in my opinion way better weld properties its all i have in my truck. Good luck with the repair.

Comment

I always tried to use 10018 or 11018.....but 8018 was the min I used.......need a lot of tensile strength there.....

Comment

Some pics would definately be nice.....while working for the local John Deere dealership I had the opportunity to make several repairs on excavators and such, we used 1/16 Lincoln 75A85 Ultracore with excellent results. I would gouge the cracks 100% and preheat to drive out the moisture, 7018 would be fine but the dualshield will be much quicker. The best I recall, we used a grade 70 steel, can't remember the spec though, for all boom repairs, even completely rebuilt a Hitachi 160 boom with it once.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by cnslmva; 03-30-2011, 08:36 PM.
              Chris

Comment

To the person who said clean it with brake clean please mention that is has to be non chlorinated brake kleen other wise he will kill himself. The best thing to clean metal before welding is rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner.
                Josh

Comment

Originally posted by cnslmva View Post
                  A few more
                  What is the reason for taking it all apart like this?

Comment

Originally posted by coony View Post
                    can someone give me advice on welding a cracked trackhoe boom. its a linkbelt 2800 used in a lot rock bucket only no hammer. its cracked in several places in middel of boom and around the main swing pin . its geting worse and needs to be fixed.thinking about fluxcore dualsheild 045 or 7018 u tell me. do i plate this or not.any coments or advice would help thanks
                    We would need some picture of the area that needs to be repair.
                    For cracks if I'm in the shop I use T-91 self shield fluxcore pre and post heat until your spit boils on the steel.

If I'm in the field I'll use 11018.

Comment

Daniel, the main reason for doing the repair the way we did is that we used the materials speced by the factory, and we removed the damaged sections from weld to weld so the boom would behave as designed (flexing and such), the repair pieces were bent to fit on a brake and the rest were cut using a torch. The other reason is we were a factory dealer that had to warranty our repairs to perform as new.
                      Chris

Comment

What type of steel was the two side pieces where the main cylinder bosses? and the top?
                        Sorry, about all the questions.

Comment

Working...
                        X