Mig weld magnesium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig weld magnesium?

Just wondering if this is possible. I have a spoolgun. Is there a certain type of wire I can buy? Will aluminum wire work?

Yes it is possible but small dia is hard to find and its real expensive even for the larger diameters like 1/16" that isn't suitable for the smaller welders and spoolgun. And alum wire won't work as the weld just cracks from what i have tried even 5356...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Holy Crap!

I just checked the price per lb. for AZ61A. Close to $200 per lb.

That alone would put me off.
      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
      Miller Dynasty200DX
      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
      MillerMatic350P
      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
      MKCobraMig260
      Lincoln SP-170T
      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
      Hypertherm 1250
      Hypertherm 800
      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
      SiberHegner CNC Mill
      2 ea. Bridgeport
      LeBlond 15" Lathe
      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

The problem is shielding, it must be shielded from atmosphere untill the glow is gone to prevent it from lighting up and burning down. Magnesium is normally done in TIG for this reason. A friend burned down his shop repairing a racing wheel, he had far more experience than I so I wouldn't do it!
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Seaman View Post
          The problem is shielding, it must be shielded from atmosphere untill the glow is gone to prevent it from lighting up
          The Argon gas with a mig takes care of this problem. I have tried to spoolgun weld some chainsaw cases and i had no problems with it burning but it did crack real bad because i didn't have the right wire. I looked high and low for some good priced mag wire with no luck...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
          X