Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LarryO
    replied
    Here is a link to a thread on another forum about pulsing.
    Some good reading.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...t=show+welders

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    I hope I have not spoken out of line. Correct guys if I have...

Originally posted by Hardrockshot View Post
    To all you "old" guys! Please remember I need and want your help. When I ask a stupid question, tell me. If I am ever rude, kick me, real hard. If I am thin skinned, too bad, your trying to help me become a better welder. I do not weld for a living. Welding is something I do for enjoyment. I have no desire to weld for a living, I don't want to be away from the family that long. Been there done that. Please remember some of us really enjoy reading the great advise.
    You (as are the Don and the others that don't weld for a living, etc) are straight with me, Sundown111, Dave and the rest I am sure. It is just that Sundown111 and I have spent years dancing this dance and getting hit by the "school of hard knocks" when it hurts the most. It is sometimes aggravating when we see so many newer welders wanting a spoon feed rather than do some research first. Maybe you guys have done the research and we are assume you have not. maybe we just had a bad day or lost a big contract or a huge chunk of change. Ever lose 175K over the weekend. I don't care who you are or where you are-it will put you in a bad mood.

Guys: We (the older and experienced-or the exceptionally skilled and talented)
    To quote sundown111: "will not stand pissing on your boots and tell you it is raining" This quote is certainly out of context from where sundown111 used it. oh well. We will help you learn and give correct advice to the best of our abilities. maybe we all lost something these last few days and have been in a mood. I apologize-I am sure others feel the same.

By the way: take a look back and search for posts by KB Fabrication. Kevin is a friend of mine and probably one of the 3 best GTAW welders I know. Engloid is another one of those exceptional talented TIG guys. I must give credit where credit is due. Andy is a fantastic Tigger. We all know sundown111 is among the best of the best. Me? I can hold my own with my peers-I think

HAWK

Leave a comment:

• Hardrockshot
    replied
    Thanks

To all you "old" guys! Please remember I need and want your help. When I ask a stupid question, tell me. If I am ever rude, kick me, real hard. If I am thin skinned, too bad, your trying to help me become a better welder. I do not weld for a living. Welding is something I do for enjoyment. I have no desire to weld for a living, I don't want to be away from the family that long. Been there done that. Please remember some of us really enjoy reading the great advise.

Leave a comment:

• TxDarth
    replied
    Well I am another noobe just learning to Tig, I have been using gas and Mig for a while but only for home hobby use. I am also an old dog - 69 next month and retired but I still like to tinker.

I went with a new Syncro 200 over the Diversion series just so I could grow a little.
    I also signed up for a Tig class at the local JC - not 'til June tho so in the mean time I am just dangerous, trying to practice and hopefully not develop any bad habits. I have already received some good advice from the forum here - like turning off the pulse until I learn to lay a bead. This one piece of advice made a big difference. I still think overall I use too many amps, been in the 100-150 range, work all looks grey to black. It will polish to shinny metal with a wire brush. I have been just trying to puddle metal on 1/8 inch stock, once in a while I will add filler if I feel brave and limiting my sessions to an hour or so.

So I for one appreciate the advice I have received here for all the pros - Thank You! to all for your help!

rt

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    Hey Hawk,

Dave. You've been keeping a real low profile. Must mean you've been on the road alot. Appreciate the comments, but don't sell yourself short. There are a lot of guys on here that are, I'm sure better tiggers than I am. Guess if you do something long enough, even an "idiot" (another poster's assessment) learns what works and what doesn't. I have tried to stay up with the technology changes so I can at least keep up with the "young guns". Also had the good fortune to be mentored by some of the best in the business.
    Yeah, been busy, and on my days off been playing ice hockey with the PD/FD guys in the Metro Area, and whatever College kids show up. Been a great stress reliever (LOL), but they're kicking this ol' man's rear! Had a lot of other things going on with my grown kids, so, just sitting back reflecting, as it were, on life's trials and tribulations.

Thanks, David

Leave a comment:

• dondlhmn
    replied
    Sundown is right, although he says that I have been taking TIG classes for a year. I wish that were true as I would probably be way ahead of where I am now. I have taken ONE TIG class, but it was a while back....sometime in the last year, I guess...so maybe that "technically" constitutes having been exposed to TIG for a year. I don't know where he gets the idea (another WRONG assumption, I guess) that I have ever taken more than one TIG class and I have NO IDEA why he seems so delighted to tell everyone that I am a "toddler" when it comes to TIG. Just stating the obvious, I guess. Sundown is VERY PERCEPTIVE, however...one can not be other than a "toddler" having taken one class, but then he seems pretty good at stating the obvious and he seems to forget that we all have to start somewhere...unless maybe he was BORN knowing how to TIG weld. The rest of us aren't so fortunate and have to ask for help, read a bunch, try stuff and learn that way. To get to be more than a "toddler", one has to ask questions, which sometimes may appear to be dumb to folks like sundown and others who are knowledgeable on the subject and then have the time to spend a bunch of time DOING IT. I know that sometimes I have had to remind myself that I wasn't born knowing all that I know in my own field of expertise. I had to try to be patient and help along the newbies for most of my working life, but it was usually enjoyable and quite rewarding to see them learn, make progress and become better and safer at it.

Sorry to disappoint you, Sundown, but I have only had a tiny little bit of education in the art of TIG welding and will most likely be a TIG toddler until the day I die. I can produce some welds that non-TIG folks look at and pronounce them beautiful, but I know better. Some of them look horrible to me and maybe "OK" at best, but not anywhere near what I know a real TIG artist can do. There are just so many other things to occupy myself with....too many things to read, do, people to spend time with, places to go & etc., even though I often wish I could do nothing but weld. I would like to spend a lot more time under the hood in order to get better, but, unfortunately, time is limited for me and I have to maximize that time by asking LOTS of questions and trying to cover LOTS of ground whenever I do have some time to practice and learn welding. Maybe one day I, too, will be almost as good as sundown apparently is, but I am NOT holding my breath over that. And I say "apparently", but there have been some others in this forum that vouched for him, so maybe he really is good. Hey, something is on the computer or on TV it just HAS TO BE TRUE, right?

Again, I do thank all of you that have provided tips and ideas to apply to TIG. Unfortunately, I have not had time to apply or explore them all.

PS...there is NO Chinese, Taiwanese, Indian, Pakistanese or Korean JUNK in MY garage other than a few clamps and the odd knock-off set of vise grips that have snuck in there......unless my Miller, Lincoln, Atlas, Clausing and old Victor stuff was made there. And I don't think any of it was, but maybe some of models and parts of those brands are made there now.
    Last edited by dondlhmn; 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM. Reason: speleen korekshun

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Hey Hawk,

Just be aware that you're not the only one that's been thru the big "D".

Heck, I was married for 26 years, mostly while I was in the military. Traveled a lot (generally at lest a third of every year) so we each became quite "independent". Once I retired and was home more, we found that we really didn't have that much in common anymore. Even got the T-Shirt to prove it. Don't even want to think about how much that cost me. She still gets a sizable chunk of my military retirement. Oh well, she's always been a great mom to the kids.

Sounds like the ex got some nice equipment. Does she weld, or just didn't want you to be able to?

Hawk. I agree with Dave. You'll really like the Sync 200. Don't get me wrong, I love my Dynasty 200 but the Sync is the standby "horse". Even if I get a Dynasty 350 at some point in the future, I don't think I'd get rid of the Sync. Shop just wouldn't be the same without on. The Sync 250 DX Tigrunner I have now is my third one. Bought the first in 1977. Before that it was the 330 A B/P. The Sync I have now is the first with the pulser option. Never used pulse before. Then I started doing some work with a buddy who had a Dynasty 300. Spoiled me. Upgraded the Sync so I could easily add the pulser option. The buddy with the Dynasty 300 bought my 86 Sync 250 and still uses it as his shop machine and as a backup to the Dynasty.

Dave. You've been keeping a real low profile. Must mean you've been on the road alot. Appreciate the comments, but don't sell yourself short. There are a lot of guys on here that are, I'm sure better tiggers than I am. Guess if you do something long enough, even an "idiot" (another poster's assessment) learns what works and what doesn't. I have tried to stay up with the technology changes so I can at least keep up with the "young guns". Also had the good fortune to be mentored by some of the best in the business.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Thanks for the info...

Dave,

Thanks for the info buddy. I will check the menus as you suggested. Yea i had to leave the forum and other places for a while. I am about to get back on my feet. Hope to see you guys around for a while.

HAWK

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Sync 200

Originally posted by HAWK View Post
    davedarragh,

Thanks for your comments on the Sync 200. I have never welded with one. I had a couple of Dynasty 200DX's and a D300DX when I owned my businesses. Unfortunately, my ex scored all my tools, welding equipment (around 250K) in the divorce. I miss my BB Air Pak more than anything. I've been welding for myself for nearly 20 years and for machine shops 10 years prior to that. I don't do much OA: Some CCW/CW rod/torch manipulation for the fun of it. I welded 6G 6010 root, fill, and pass on 1-2" API5Lxxx for natural gas line for a few years along the way. I also spen t much time with heavy equipment repair using stick except where hardfacing and/or dual shield was required. SMAW is my first love, then GTAW! GMAW only when required-preferably 3G.

The Sync 200 is a field test loaner to get me back on my feet until I can re-purchase in the Dynasty series. I have spent a few hundred hours on a Sync 250DX, but most of my time is on one of the first digital Dynasty 300DX units. Miller released it as the successor to the Analog dialed Dynasty.

Thanks,

HAWK
    Hey HAWK: Sorry to hear of your domestic mis-fortunes. I think many of us have "been there, done that."

I know your not a "home hobbiest" or a beginner, I just mentioned that as FYI to the "listening audience."

Was wondering where you dis-appeared to, always enjoyed your posts.

If you haven't already, download a copy of the manual; there are some "hidden menu" features (eg.) changing factory defaults, etc., that you may need.

Only thing I did was replace the leads with 25' #1's, a short stub stinger and a decent 500 amp work clamp.

Duty cycle's only 40% @ 150 amps, but by then we need a coffee break anyway.

They're a solid little machine. The flow-through Dinse is nice (I put a 25' rubber hose on my torch), and it comes with a 25' pedal.

When the fan comes on, you'll know it, but it's not annoying.

2% Ceriated (orange) works reall well on both steel and aluminum, or if you prefer Thoriated (red) for steel. I think Sundown likes 1% Ceriated (light blue) for both on his 250.

As I stated, 7018's run great, a little weak on the 6010's, but 6011's okay. Maybe my TB has spoiled me on the 6010's.

Other than that, enjoy!

David

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Thanks for your input...

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
    HAWK: I think you'll like the 200. It's a very solid machine. If I only had two choices for a shop, I'd have a good O/A set and a 200(+) CC transformer machine.

The Sync 200 will do everything a "home hobbiest" or beginner needs to do. It runs 7018's very well, and 6010's good. Never had a complaint with mine, either AC or DC TIG, only with the operator.

Can't emphasize the fundamentals of welding begin with O/A and stick. Master those processes, and the rest is a snap.

Oh, Don: If I knew only 1/2 of what Sundown III does, I'd be a genious. Take what he says as "the Truth." He knows what he's talking about..........

David
    davedarragh,

Thanks for your comments on the Sync 200. I have never welded with one. I had a couple of Dynasty 200DX's and a D300DX when I owned my businesses. Unfortunately, my ex scored all my tools, welding equipment (around 250K) in the divorce. I miss my BB Air Pak more than anything. I've been welding for myself for nearly 20 years and for machine shops 10 years prior to that. I don't do much OA: Some CCW/CW rod/torch manipulation for the fun of it. I welded 6G 6010 root, fill, and pass on 1-2" API5Lxxx for natural gas line for a few years along the way. I also spen t much time with heavy equipment repair using stick except where hardfacing and/or dual shield was required. SMAW is my first love, then GTAW! GMAW only when required-preferably 3G.

The Sync 200 is a field test loaner to get me back on my feet until I can re-purchase in the Dynasty series. I have spent a few hundred hours on a Sync 250DX, but most of my time is on one of the first digital Dynasty 300DX units. Miller released it as the successor to the Analog dialed Dynasty.

Thanks,

HAWK

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    shovelon,

This is precisely what I was trying to get the OP to avoid.

Read where he is with regards to tig welding. Go back and read a few of his previous posts. He's been in a "tig class" for nearly a year and he's still having trouble with the very basics (puddle control, torch movement, filler feeding, etc). Trying a bunch of pulse settings to "improve his weld" is fruitless until he has the basics down pat. Also, from the machines he's mentioned (all transformers), I don't think he has the capability for high speed pulsing.

At his stage of development, the only pulse setting he should be concerned about is a low speed (about .8 PPS, with 50% peak, and 50% background) pulse which may help him develop his dip timing.

The other uses for pulse (lowering average heat, puddle agitation, welding thin material, etc, etc) are not in the cards at this point. He just needs to spend the "hood time" needed to learn to TIG WELD. Once he learns how to do the basic welds well, then he can look at steps to "improve" them.

I see this so often with the guys new to tig. So many of them think they need to go out and buy the most advanced machine available. They hear about the capabilities of the "advanced squarewave" machines but are not willing to pay the price for a quality machine. Then they go out and buy Chinese junk because the machine has high speed pulsing, sequencers, freq control, etc, etc. They keep thinking there's a "silver bullet" out there. Then they can't understand why the oldtimers with their 330 A B/P's and Sync 250's can lay down beads that they can only dream about even with their "all the bells and whistles" machines. The freaking guy holding the torch produces the weld, not the machine.

So many of the new guys spend so much time rattling the bells and blowing the whistles on their new machines, that they never properly learn the basics of tig welding.

I see your point, which is why I get so frustrated with newbies. I just thought he was beyond toddler. First notion would be to render him pulseless.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Sync 200

Originally posted by HAWK View Post
    sundown111,

Bingo! You hit that nail on the head! Give me a Sync 250DX anytime over the chinese rattletraps. I have smoked a lot of tungsten and aluminum filler on Dynastys -200 and 300DX. I like them a lot, but it is hard to beat a good old transformer machine like the Syncrowaves.

I am getting ready to pick up a Sync 200 with a new micro--P board. It has to be field tested for a while. No. It is not a Dynasty or a Fronius, and falls short of the Sync250DX , but still a very nice machine. It certainly is NOT a chinese whistle trap. I will let you know how it does. I have to run another circuit for power and a few other small obstacles must be overcome.
    HAWK: I think you'll like the 200. It's a very solid machine. If I only had two choices for a shop, I'd have a good O/A set and a 200(+) CC transformer machine.

The Sync 200 will do everything a "home hobbiest" or beginner needs to do. It runs 7018's very well, and 6010's good. Never had a complaint with mine, either AC or DC TIG, only with the operator.

Can't emphasize the fundamentals of welding begin with O/A and stick. Master those processes, and the rest is a snap.

Oh, Don: If I knew only 1/2 of what Sundown III does, I'd be a genious. Take what he says as "the Truth." He knows what he's talking about..........

David

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    shovelon,

Read where he is with regards to tig welding. Go back and read a few of his previous posts. He's been in a "tig class" for nearly a year and he's still having trouble with the very basics (puddle control, torch movement, filler feeding, etc). Trying a bunch of pulse settings to "improve his weld" is fruitless until he has the basics down pat. Also, from the machines he's mentioned (all transformers), I don't think he has the capability for high speed pulsing.

At his stage of development, the only pulse setting he should be concerned about is a low speed (about .8 PPS, with 50% peak, and 50% background) pulse which may help him develop his dip timing.

The other uses for pulse (lowering average heat, puddle agitation, welding thin material, etc, etc) are not in the cards at this point. He just needs to spend the "hood time" needed to learn to TIG WELD. Once he learns how to do the basic welds well, then he can look at steps to "improve" them.

I see this so often with the guys new to tig. So many of them think they need to go out and buy the most advanced machine available. They hear about the capabilities of the "advanced squarewave" machines but are not willing to pay the price for a quality machine. Then they go out and buy Chinese junk because the machine has high speed pulsing, sequencers, freq control, etc, etc. They keep thinking there's a "silver bullet" out there. Then they can't understand why the oldtimers with their 330 A B/P's and Sync 250's can lay down beads that they can only dream about even with their "all the bells and whistles" machines. The freaking guy holding the torch produces the weld, not the machine.

So many of the new guys spend so much time rattling the bells and blowing the whistles on their new machines, that they never properly learn the basics of tig welding.

I see your point, which is why I get so frustrated with newbies. I just thought he was beyond toddler.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Bingo!!!

sundown111,

Bingo! You hit that nail on the head! Give me a Sync 250DX anytime over the chinese rattletraps. I have smoked a lot of tungsten and aluminum filler on Dynastys -200 and 300DX. I like them a lot, but it is hard to beat a good old transformer machine like the Syncrowaves.

I am getting ready to pick up a Sync 200 with a new micro--P board. It has to be field tested for a while. No. It is not a Dynasty or a Fronius, and falls short of the Sync250DX , but still a very nice machine. It certainly is NOT a chinese whistle trap. I will let you know how it does. I have to run another circuit for power and a few other small obstacles must be overcome.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    shovelon,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X