Advice on buying a Bobcat 225 for a rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying a Bobcat 225 for a rookie

I am new to the forum and welding, but it is a great source of info. I have narrowed my choices to a Bobcat 225. I think this is available only with the Kohler engine, but not sure. If I go to the 250, which engine is prefered, the Kohler or Subaru?

Also, I don't have a relationship with my local dealer, and find prices lower online, no sales tax and no shipping. My dealer tells me they don't even start up the engine, only unbox it to make sure it's undamaged. So why should I not order online and save a few hundred bucks? I understand about shopping locally, but like most, saving $200 seems wise, considering the dealer has to special order it any way. Heck, for $200, I can take it out of the box. What is your opinion on online purchases of a welder? Thanks!

One last question, I also considered the Kohler Champion Elite. Could save another $200. I know there are some differences, but what are the pros and cons of these. I am not a professional, and will use it for only occasional use, and for a backup home generator, also only occasionally. Thanks!

hcjwelder,
    Some dealers do start the machine and prepare it better than others. You may want to search on our website for a dealer with service (its a box you can check under "where to buy".).

If you are only using the machine for occational repair projects and a backup generator, I recommend the Bobcat 225. if you are going to expand your welding use in the future to running more 7018 stick electrodes or running wire, I suggest upgrading to a Bobcat 250. For now anyway, the Bobcat 225 sounds like the best option for you. It has a ten degree skewed rotor for cleaner generator power which is great for backup power and Bobcats have a higher resale value than any other brand of welder/generators. As far as engines, both are very good and reliable and have good service and parts availability. Its really a personnal preferrence.

I hope this helps.
    Have a great day!

John Leisner
    Product Manager
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Owner and user of:
    Trailblazer 302 and Legend 301
    Smith Dual Guard oxy-fuel system
    Various borrowed Millermatics and Spectrums.

Comment

thanks John. I have decided on the Bobcat 225 with a Kohler. Looking forward to getting it.

Comment

Bobcat 225

I just bought the 225 and fall into the same rookie class. My question is how to properly break in the Kohler CH23. The Miller owners manual gives good information but refers to the Kohler engine manual for a proper break-in procedure. The Kohler manual makes no reference to a break-in procedure or recommended run-in. Does anyone have any insight to offer?

Comment

Good question regarding break in. There really isn't anything special you have to do. I highly recommend changing the oil after the first 25 -50 hours. Other than that, just use it. That engine will gain some power after the first 100-200 hours when broken in. Use the recommended oil on the maintenance chart and you'll be fine.

Have fun with your new Bobcat.
          Have a great day!

John Leisner
          Product Manager
          Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Owner and user of:
          Trailblazer 302 and Legend 301
          Smith Dual Guard oxy-fuel system
          Various borrowed Millermatics and Spectrums.

Comment

Working...
          X