Cheap Fun Welding Projects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Fun Welding Projects?

So I am pretty new in the game, but I really hate practicing when there is no end result other than just a few pretty lines on a piece of metal. Yes I know I should be patient, but for me welding is just a hobby, I don't have access to much scrap so I will have to buy most everything new.

So what are your favorite little projects you have made?

My list once I find some metal are:

Welding cart for my XMT-304, Dynasty 200, lincoln Promig 175 (i bought it at lowes when I didn;t know any better) and probably a plasma cutter soon enough.

Repair some broken welds on my aluminum houseboat

Build a swim deck and grill deck for house boat

Repair some of my deck funiture that was damaged recently from wind

Replace the door, and misc other parts on my tailgate bus

Construct a better couple of dog crates for my pups

A new workbench with a super flat top for wood working and metal working

I would love to find a few smaller projects to get a little more versed in tig'n Throw out some ideas!

Thanks!

Brandon

Well, there are a lot of projects in the projects section on this site to chose from and I bet you could find something there. I would recommend making a welding table early on so you have something to weld on, pound on, grind on and clamp stuff to. There seem to be as many table styles and choices as there are welders, but here is the name of the project (on this site in projects) for one I made..Another (lowbuck) home made welding table.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Here is a project.

Weld a 1/8 inch stainless rod onto the front of your oven rack shelves so that when you pull the rack outward, the pan or dish does not slide right off the shelf.
      You know when the shelves are pulled out they droop down on an angle slightly.

Comment

I 'weld' horseshoes for "art" I don't do much structural type stuff, as you know steel is getting on the expensive side, but I have 2 farriers that give me steel horseshoes for nothing.
        Guess it depends on where you live if you have a farrier handy or not.
        I also scrounge a tractor dealership for used parts for more "art" supplies.

So I guess I make toys, but it is good practice and free metal to learn on

Mark
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rustyanchor; 03-17-2011, 10:21 AM. Reason: just 'cause

Comment

Hey Rusty,

If you are south of Suffolk, you`re in the Dismal Swamp. Never been to the Swamp
          but did a few jobs in Suffolk

old but new

Comment

I'm a little west of the Great Dismal, but I 'own' a part of Spivey Swamp.

Mark

Comment

To keep myself busy at times, i have taken old bicycle frames cut them up and welded them together in different shapes and configurations. Stripping the paint when you first get em sucks but it can be worth it.
              You can also cut up what you did in (different spots) and weld em' back together.
              You'll be practicing a multitude of things:
              Cutting
              Prep
              Straightening
              Fit-up
              Tacking
              Out-of-position welding
              etc.
              It will also help you stretch your imagination.

Just a suggestion. I find old bicycles to be something easy to acquire since other useful scrap is hard to come by and new stock can get expensive.

Good Luck!
              Measure twice, cut ONCE............

MillerMatic 211
              MillerMatic 251
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX
              ESAB O/A Equipment

Comment

now you tell me Rizz....cleaning house on the ranch the other day and chucked 5 bikes the kids hadn't ridden in years. then went in to the shop to find 30' of new 1"x1/8" flat bar i just bought to replenish some stock only to find my 2 boys had made 25' of 3" long pieces to use as coupons. if anyone needs a couple of hard working teen boys i might be willing to let them go for the price of 2nd class freight.
                miller 225 bobcat
                miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
                mm175, mm211, TA181i
                mm252 w/30a spool gun
                precision tig 225
                hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
                Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
                hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
                victor journeyman & super range
                ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
                steel max and evolution carbide saws
                6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
                case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
                if first you don't succeed
                trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
                  now you tell me Rizz....cleaning house on the ranch the other day and chucked 5 bikes the kids hadn't ridden in years. then went in to the shop to find 30' of new 1"x1/8" flat bar i just bought to replenish some stock only to find my 2 boys had made 25' of 3" long pieces to use as coupons. if anyone needs a couple of hard working teen boys i might be willing to let them go for the price of 2nd class freight.
                  What's the old expression regarding "idle hands"?
                  Evidently, your kids don't have that problem.
                  I'd gladly take em'. They'd get along great with my kids.
                  But crap, sorry about your stock.
                  Measure twice, cut ONCE............

MillerMatic 211
                  MillerMatic 251
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                  ESAB O/A Equipment

Comment

hmm

makes some third hands there useful and double as weapons when sharpened up lol

Comment

Working...
                    X