New to forum. need advice for pipline rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum. need advice for pipline rig

I was looking into the pipeline unions and they want you to have your own rig. Any advice on what miller welders would work for those conditions? i know theres the pipepro but anything under $15,000 might be a little easier to get,lol. Sorry if i sound like a newbie but my background is from Mig and autobody(light gauge fab).

Hope your prepared for the replies your gonna get from anyone who pipelines....just wait
    ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Comment

First get certified, or dont waste your money.

Comment

pipeline rigs

Originally posted by RxstrRacing View Post
        I was looking into the pipeline unions and they want you to have your own rig. Any advice on what miller welders would work for those conditions? i know theres the pipepro but anything under $15,000 might be a little easier to get,lol. Sorry if i sound like a newbie but my background is from Mig and autobody(light gauge fab).
        I hate to bust your bubble,but there is no pipeline company going to let you on the job with a miller. If you can get a test ,the inspector will look you out before you start.That's just the way it is on the pipeline.What you need is a lincoln sa200 or a 300d.

Comment

Why not a Miller for the job?
          sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 350P
          30A Spoolgun
          Lincoln Pro Mig 140
          Hypertherm Powermax 30
          14" Rage Evolution dry saw
          40 ton press brake
          Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

That's just B.S. I've main-lined with both a PipePro 304 and a Trailblazer 302. The TB runs just as nice a bead as a Ranger 305. X-ray is X-ray on a kick-off test, don't matter whether you're runnin' red or blue in your truck-- if you can weld, you can weld.
            Big Blue 400D
            Trailblazer 302
            Miller S-32 suitcase
            12VS suitcase
            Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
            Victor torches
            Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
            Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
            Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Comment

Reggie,

LOL

Don't think the OP has got the full grasp of that profound statement.

I'm sure the comments will be along the lines of, "If you got to ask about what welder to buy, the line's not the place for you".
              Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
              Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
              Hobart HH187
              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
              PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
              Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
              Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
              More grinders than hands

Comment

I have a pipepro and I pipeline! Who cares what color you are if you make the pictures your good to go!

Comment

In the United States, in big bore transmission line construction you see at least 30% PipePro's these days.
                  You won't get a test with a Ranger or Trailblazer type machine tho.

JTMcC
                  Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by wronghand View Post
                    The TB runs just as nice a bead as a Ranger 305. .
                    hehehehhahahhalol

Comment

First off, certs dont mean crap. Every job you go to will make you test out. Second, I know lots of guys running millers. Mostly pipepros and a few pro300's, but the pro300 is not that popular. The new big blue pipepro 350 looks pretty sweet. It has "crater out" for tig welding. And if you have every run scratch start tig and battled with puss holes when braking an arc, you will love the crater out.
                      But why not consider a lincoln? You can pick up a nice sa200 from 1500-3000 bucks. You could rig out a whole truck for what it cost to buy a new machine at $15000.
                      sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Originally posted by sae350 View Post
                        First off, certs dont mean crap. Every job you go to will make you test out. Second, I know lots of guys running millers. Mostly pipepros and a few pro300's, but the pro300 is not that popular. The new big blue pipepro 350 looks pretty sweet. It has "crater out" for tig welding. And if you have every run scratch start tig and battled with puss holes when braking an arc, you will love the crater out.
                        But why not consider a lincoln? You can pick up a nice sa200 from 1500-3000 bucks. You could rig out a whole truck for what it cost to buy a new machine at $15000.
                        Over here they wont let you test out if you dont have certs.

Comment

I see a lot of rangers and tb's in trucks these days (more rangers though)

I started pipelining with a tb and never had an issue. I've since upgraded to a vantage 400 though.

So I'm pretty sure you won't get run off if you don't show up with a big machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                            Over here they wont let you test out if you dont have certs.
                            over here your test is your cert.
                            sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Originally posted by EvolveWelding View Post
                              I see a lot of rangers and tb's in trucks these days (more rangers though)

I started pipelining with a tb and never had an issue. I've since upgraded to a vantage 400 though.

So I'm pretty sure you won't get run off if you don't show up with a big machine.

This is what I wrote:

"In the United States, in big bore transmission line construction you see at least 30% PipePro's these days.
                              You won't get a test with a Ranger or Trailblazer type machine tho".

I make no comments on current practice in countries I've never worked in, but the statement I made is correct.
                              Keep in mind that what the Canadians call pipelining and what Americans call pipelining are different things. And from the hundreds of "Alberta" threads we've seen over the years, qualification is an entirely different world between here and there.

JTMcC
                              Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
                              X