No announcement yet.

How long would this take you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a guy, my Dad made comment one day,,, he sure moves kind of slow. Well the shop isn't Dads big thing and production numbers are tricky but this guy was always prepared, didn't hurry, didn't mess up, never broke stuff, very accurate, good with service manuals, repair complex assemblies and enjoyed all the tedious fitting. I had to tell Dad,,, he saved us 300$ (and eliminated any inconvenience of not having machine broke down) yesterday morning, fixed a pump head, no parts cost, unit back running, worked fine ever since.

Comment

Sberry, +1 on what you said.

JTMcC
      ".....Money in the bank, to be guarded, treasured, respected and well fed.
      Ask any decent employer."

I've been around quite awhile. May retire this year, Lord willing. I've seen too many "bottom lines" balanced by laying off, or sending home, good people. "Decent employers" seem to be rare. That is the key, though.

Comment

I do some time study too, if it takes 3 1/2 the minimum is 4, even if,, whats a guy gonna do in a half an hour to lunch,, clean up, even have a rest or break, continue to work 40 hrs+ a week and keep a decent pace,, lots of real world factors to consider in time study. Some general maintenance is in order per each man hour worked even if it is cleaning the floor.
        On some jobs there is a factor of how much plant and material is waiting on the guys, like JT by keeping track of some numbers he could likely get workforce twice as good as the general large contractor. I seen jobs where we were stuck with what we had, all across the board from worst to best, the best were worth 2 men or more and in some cases the production numbers were far higher when considering liability,,, failed inspection, rework, etc even if it was fairly minor it meant taking your best from critical to do repair. Makes a big difference when a guy gets 4 joints a day easy while another works azz off to get 2 and solves the rest of his own problems besides.
        If all the (50) men were as good as the 10 best we would get done in half the time with only 30 men, nearly half the equipment and support, etc, right down to the pissers.

Comment

I seen factories run by BA types, keep shoving people thru the door to run production, didn't have a clue they would have been X ahead to invest in maintenance crew. Skilled men would have replaced 5 other production workers, took a load off payroll and infrastructure. All these jobs,,,, well they were not sustainable.The plant should have been able to run with 200 workers vs 300 and would still be there today with some appreciation of skilled trade work.

Comment

When I saw the "STOPWATCH" was being used, I thought that this was maybe some kind of time/motion study being done in order to have a good solid basis for bidding a whole herd of similar tables for some customer. I just don't get why one would put a stopwatch on a one-off project.

Everything I have ever built was slow on the first one and then faster and faster as I figured out shortcuts and small time saving steps, especially cutting multiple similar parts to be used on repititious items of the same kind being made. The first one ALWAYS takes longer then subsequent ones due to the fact that you are sort of prototyping, cutting stuff for the first one (and not dozens of the same cuts for multiple products of the same type), etc.

Personally, I would say that for a one-off project YOU wasted time monkeying around timing an operation, not to mention that if I had been the employee being timed, I would have thought the person doing the needless timing to be a pompous idiot and one that didn't have anything better to do.
            Last edited by dondlhmn; 03-18-2011, 08:54 AM.
            Don J
            Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

An outfit that has really focused is the welding machine people. I have been in a couple plants, never worked for them but from what I can see is they look for good people and have eliminated a lot of layers, the engineering is on the floor level. I was in outfit somewhat recently, never seen an engineer until it was time to go to dinner, these guys make a career of emailing each other to prove who is to blame. Years and years they never went down to actually see what the problem was.
              At Hobart a customer can call and talk to the guy that invent (design) the dam thing. They got some hands on guys actually running the place. They build great product and solve problems fast. Had an engineer solve a warranty problem on the phone in 5 minutes and 4$ freight. Nickle on a dollar for what it would have cost to hear the usual "take it to the dealer and wait a week",

Comment

Working...
              X