X ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X ray

I have been welding pipe for 6 years and i am aws and asme certified i have never failed a bend test. But during this time i have never taken an xray test, is there anything i need to know to successfully pass this test?
    Test will be as follows:
    6g position
    heavy wall 6'' pipe
    1/8" gap
    gtaw root
    gtaw hot pass
    smaw 7018 cap using stringer

Originally posted by byrdman86 View Post
    I have been welding pipe for 6 years and i am aws and asme certified i have never failed a bend test. But during this time i have never taken an xray test, is there anything i need to know to successfully pass this test?
    Test will be as follows:
    6g position
    heavy wall 6'' pipe
    1/8" gap
    gtaw root
    gtaw hot pass
    smaw 7018 cap using stringer
    yeah... make an x-ray quality weld. Which if you have been welding pipe for six years, you must know what a good groove type weld is? if its an asme test, then your root is gonna have to be 100%. Hot pass is no problem as long as you dont suck your root back. And the 7018 just make sure you have good start and stops, and dont trap slag. Cap pass, run stringers( i would use 3/32 rod) and if your flux is broke off the end of your rod, like on a restart, just get a fresh rod. dont restart with a half used rod.
    sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Hardest part is the bottom of the pipe asme does not allow suck back, at least not that i have ever seen. you can get it to pass xray by putting more reenforcement on your covers but more then likely will fail the visual. Make sure when you tack it they are good tacks and maybe feather them, thats where most problems ive seen come from, people do not tie into the tack well enough. I have not welded much stick but we use dual shield, and i would say before you start again at the bottom grind the start of the first weld to avoid any traped slag or lack of fusion. Every one thinks of x ray and automatically thinks its very hard, its not. If you have been welding pipe for six years you should have nothing to worry about. I have only been welding pipe for about a year and almos every joint ive welded has been x rayd with only a hand full of drops out of 100's maybe 1000's of welds. Good luck though.
      Linclon power mig 350MP

Comment

byrdman, I've taken several of both, the best advice I could give anybody is to clean, clean, and clean! Along with feathering your tacks to ensure a good tie in. IMO, a bend test can be the harder of the two as the xray allows for some imperfections where the bend will open up if there is a spot on the edge of the coupon.......
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cnslmva View Post
          byrdman, I've taken several of both, the best advice I could give anybody is to clean, clean, and clean! Along with feathering your tacks to ensure a good tie in. IMO, a bend test can be the harder of the two as the xray allows for some imperfections where the bend will open up if there is a spot on the edge of the coupon.......
          Ditto:
          Since you've been welding pipe for years with no problems in your bend/nick break tests an X-Ray should be no problem. They are easier to pass than a destructive test and allow for a certain limitation on flaws. Don't sweat it!
          Miller Syncrowave 200
          Homemade Water Cooler
          130XP MIG
          Spectrum 375
          60 year old Logan Lathe
          Select Machine and Tool Mill
          More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

i am certified api 1104 for downhill only(strictly 6010 rod) and by far the destructive tests are the hardest. do them every 6 months to stay qualified. trapped slag once on the "nick-break" test so burn out what we call the wagon tracks that are left after the root. your uphill much harder but principles are the same. everything everyone else said is spot-on. taper your tacks for proper fusion. if theres one thing i learned over the years is run hot/hot/hot. so easy to start running cooler as you can control the puddle better. don't get lazy(not accusing). completed a job (filter installation) that had 32 xray welds(pressure related) and had one problem fortunetly it was on a 6" end cap that was being cutoff anyway(hydro test). my instructor told me years ago that if you weld every weld like it was an xraY WELD THAT WHEN IT CAME TIME TO DO THE XRAY WELD , IT WON'T BE AN ISSUE. other than that, pretty simple, no?

Comment

Working...
            X