trailblazer or bobcat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailblazer or bobcat?

Im wanting to buy a miller welder generator. Not sure which would be best.
    Wanting to start a mobile welding business but don't have a lot of money to put in it.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i kick myself in the butt for buying the bobcat and not the trailblazer. all i can say is if foresight was as good as hindsight i wouldn't be a kickin.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Comment

Consider what processes you

need and the equipment you need to operate. Compare the 2 machines for features and make your choice. It all depends on what you need to do and what
      machine will support your needs. Then there is the price...

old but new

Comment

I vote TB

I did the Trailblazer 302.
        I liked the Generator for tools being separate from the welding generator.
        The arc using the stick both 60 and 70 rods is better than my XMT350

But before I new that, the TB is AC/DC and the Bobcat isn't.
        The TB has a remote recepticle and the BC dosen't

It Works for me
        Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
        22A Feeder
        MM175
        Dynasty 200DX
        TB302
        12vs Extreme
        Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
        20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
        16" x 60" engine lathe
        65 Ton edwards iron worker
        3/16' x 24" power slip roll
        16' power feed mitering bandsaw
        and other fun toys

Comment

I vote Trailblazer a more capable machine with the 14 pin connector. The bobcats have Ac/Dc + and Dc- as do the trail blazer.
          Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

Comment

Check that

After I posted I had to check the Bobcat. It has AC/DC as well.
            Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
            22A Feeder
            MM175
            Dynasty 200DX
            TB302
            12vs Extreme
            Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
            20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
            16" x 60" engine lathe
            65 Ton edwards iron worker
            3/16' x 24" power slip roll
            16' power feed mitering bandsaw
            and other fun toys

Comment

Thanks was kinda leaning towards tb anyway. Now I feel better about it.
              Have another question though. I have the choice of getting a 23 hp kohler fuel injection or with carb not sure which route to take there? Fuel in. Is couple hundred more than carb.

Comment

Auker -- Again the type of use will dictate what is best for you. Regarding the fuel injection, the advertising states that it is more efficient, but not as adjustable as the carburated models. You can also run a comparison on the Miller website and see exactly what the differences are. As I recall, the main difference in the Trail Blazer and Bobcat (other than the obvious amperage differences) is that the Trail Blazer has a dedicated generator separate from the welder. If you are not often running tools from the generator at the same time you are welding, then this feature may not be necessary and the Bobcat may well meet your needs (if the Bobcat has enough welding amperage for the your welding jobs.) This would certainly be a more economical approach. I went through this analysis and decided the Bobcat was suitable to accomplish the welding jobs on the ranch and a more economical investment. Just my $.02.
                Bill

Miller Bobcat 225

Comment

The bobcat has the seperate genset as well its more the TB is a more full featured machine in tig and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranch Hand View Post
                    Auker -- Again the type of use will dictate what is best for you. Regarding the fuel injection, the advertising states that it is more efficient, but not as adjustable as the carburated models. You can also run a comparison on the Miller website and see exactly what the differences are. As I recall, the main difference in the Trail Blazer and Bobcat (other than the obvious amperage differences) is that the Trail Blazer has a dedicated generator separate from the welder. If you are not often running tools from the generator at the same time you are welding, then this feature may not be necessary and the Bobcat may well meet your needs (if the Bobcat has enough welding amperage for the your welding jobs.) This would certainly be a more economical approach. I went through this analysis and decided the Bobcat was suitable to accomplish the welding jobs on the ranch and a more economical investment. Just my $.02.
                    I use 5P+ for just about all I do. Occasionally I'll use someone else's welder that isn't a Trailblazer. For me the Trailblazer arc is a whole different animal. It's more plastic and smoother. I've been told the reason for this is welding generator is three phase.

For me it's almost like my Trailblazer's arc is like a smooth running motor and the other's arc is comparable with one with a broken muffler and running rich.

If I replace my Trailblazer it will be with a Trailblazer, if for no other reason than the arc makes me smile.
                    life is good

Comment

Auker,
                      I agree with the guys that have replied. Really, the Bobcat is a very good machine and the Bobcat 250 in the most popular welder/generator. However, for your needs I also recommend a Trailblazer as it's designed for the professional and comes with features that you'll find very beneficial the more you use it.

As far as spending the extra money for EFI - if you're basing in purely on fuel consumption payback, it depends on how often you use it. The more it's used for welding or generating power, the more the fuel savings are - up to 27% less. If it sits and idles all day, fuel savings are only about 12%. In either case, if gas goes up to $4 or $5 a gallon, payback on the extra money spent for EFI may be a fairly short time period. Other advantages are listed on the Trailblazers product page on the web site.

If you have any specific questions, toss them out.
                      Have a great day!

John Leisner
                      Product Manager
                      Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Owner and user of:
                      Trailblazer 302 and Legend 301
                      Smith Dual Guard oxy-fuel system
                      Various borrowed Millermatics and Spectrums.

Comment

Working...
                      X