Moving into a bigger building during a "recession"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving into a bigger building during a "recession"

Since my son has moved back to Missouri and been working with me, we have been talking about and looking for a bit bigger place to work. Our shop was on a 1 acre plot with a shop 24x40ft building.
    This one is on 14 acres and has a 88x110ft building.
    It has about a third of it made into living space. It was originally a printing company so it has 3 phase 800 amp service and very thick concrete (they told me 12"!)
    Then when it became a church, they finished out all the walls with drywall etc.
    The blacktop cost more than I paid for the last place!

Looking at the new office when walking thru the front door

Looking thru the office into the shop

This is the back of the shop where they had built a fellowship hall, which the owner removed for getting the scrap lumber.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Nice-
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Congrats, looks like its going to make an awesome shop.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
      Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
      Clarke 180 EN Just in case
      Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
      O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
      Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
      4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
      Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
      Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
      I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
      http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Awesome FK,

Looks like you're going to be back "working for tools" for awhile.
        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
        Hobart HH187
        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
        More grinders than hands

Comment

very nice FK. should be fun filling it with more tools. please be sure you drain all that "living water" out of it though. we would like to see you around here for a long time.
          miller 225 bobcat
          miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
          mm175, mm211, TA181i
          mm252 w/30a spool gun
          precision tig 225
          hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
          Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
          hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
          victor journeyman & super range
          ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
          steel max and evolution carbide saws
          6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
          case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
          if first you don't succeed
          trash the b#####d

Comment

Central heat, and a carpeted floor. That's mighty soft living for a welding shop. Just watch where the sparks fall or things could get exciting.

Seriously, that looks like a great building. Have fun trying to fill it up.

Charley
            2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
            2 O/A torch sets
            DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
            DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
            DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
            Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
            Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
            Milwaukee 9" Grinder
            2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
            Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
            Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
            Too many hand tools

Comment

nice find, dood......... now you can have a place to sit the beast of a dynasty!
              welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
              www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

That's a nice space. Won't be long and you'll be lookin to hire some hands and a front office staff.

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
                  nice find, dood......... now you can have a place to sit the beast of a dynasty!
                  Dude . I agree nice shop and parking lot.
                  Now get a couple cars parked for storage fees to pay the rent -and it will also look like you have customers.

Comment

Adhesive

Even if you take up the carpet, the carpet adhesive could potentially catch fire, and give off toxic smoke. Might be worth it to run a little test, fire extinguisher in reach, to see if you can get the adhesive to burn.

Worst comes to worst, you could buy some treadplate for the welding area.

The space looks great, though. It would be hard for me to imagine having that much space. I would go broke trying to fill it up with tools or materials.

Richard
                    Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

There is no substitute for sq ft, that likely could be sectioned some depending on types of work. My shop is wide too and it takes a bit of getting used to the amount of walking. Invest in some extra common hand tools. Probably wouldn't have to heat the whole place like the Texas sun all the time. Nice to be able to drive and move equipment around indoors many times and with space you don't have to move one thing to work on another.
                      This kind of room makes easy to work with forklift. Another easy addition is a common pallet jack and some used skids, I use them for a lot of stuff, all kinds of rigging. Some simple carts and a decent common cherry picker.
                      I am not sure what everyones experience with these types of buildings but I have had a couple and worked in dozens. You got a lot of nice utility work in already that would be costly to duplicate, its "online" already and I am tempted to move in, buy up some extension cords, look for free shelves, make it all work till I figure right where you want to be. Its just as easy to put in stuff you never use as it is to not have enough. I like to make shelves free standing or on wheels. My auto hoist is kind of fixed but in the right spot and welding located near the electric service, benches and doors, etc but everything in the place is near portable via pallet jack if not on wheels.
                      I am never scared to move a hydrant, add a sink, move or add circuit, door, wall, move a machine to make it right. Them are good buildings though well built, easy to modify, being printing heavy floors, good headroom, built for hi occupancy.

Comment

I was so poor that I missed a local one, 5 cents on the dollar fully plumbed, turnkey of what it would cost new. The living quarters alone would be worth the price if it was right and the shop is near free, as the man said the asphalt alone, etc. I for one if was starting over would be buying vs building, 3/4 finished for 1/4 the price in this market. Lots of nice buildings for sale in Mi right now.

Comment

I'm ni the same position out here. not sure why, but a lot of bigger welding and fab shops are losing work and it seems to be coming in my door. I've got a backlog until july as of right now, and we're taking on more square fottage at our shop complex as it becomes available.
                          F450 crewcab flatbed
                          Miller Bobcat 250
                          Miller 8VS suitcase
                          Millermatic 251
                          Millermatic 180
                          Miller Spectrum 375
                          Miller Econotig & 150 STH
                          Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

Comment

Thanks guys
                            Lots of good thoughts and ideas as well too. On the floor/carpet glue...it don't burn for crap! I'm burning all the scrap blandex to heat the place, and it takes a bit to get it going. It is more of a water based product and when wet gets gummy.
                            Sberry, walking is a big PITA for sure now. With the little 1000 ft shop every thing was being tripped over. Here I waste more time looking for something I laid down 50 or more feet away than I can believe.
                            It sure is nice to be able to walk out and work a bit before breakfast and after dinner.
                            Another thing is I am becoming a feared hunter of mice!
                            My dog thinks he died and went to heaven.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Nice! I an very envious.

Comment

Working...
                              X